ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fabarm Axis RS12, teardown, review, measurements
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Been a minute since I've had the Fabarm out for some fresh air.

Was a fantastic day, the work on hold/look points paying off; getting more consistent. Swing felt butter smooth, and I was hitting some birds.
    139 of Field & Stream 2.75", 1-1/8oz, #8, 3dram, 1200fps
Lifetime rounds: 1,969

If anyone is curious, those Field & Stream shells (Dick's private brand) are made by Federal, and worked just fine. Shell case is black. The head is plated steel, and has a low rise - similar to wallyworld winnies. Head markings sparse, only "12GA". Primers are brass, and slightly recessed below the head surface.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 am 
Presentation Grade

2 wknds in a row at the range :-) A few more shells, and the Fabarm is working well. Swing is feeling good, bit more fluid each time I go out. Looking forward to some lessons, need to reinforce fundamentals. Tried a couple stations both eyes open - mixed bag. Took a long time to shoot 2 eyes, went back to 1 eye after a sabbatical, would like to get back to 2 eyes again.

Did notice the smiths @ Fabarm fixed the loose front bottom barrel by hiding some stainless shim material between the barrel and hanger. The bottom barrel feels secure but the shims are walking around a little bit with recoil. Had to push one back in place. Will keep an eye on it, may need a dab of CA glue to hold them permanently. Too bad they didn't remedy the issue by changing out the lower hanger for one the correct size.

52 of Estate Super Sport Competition Target Load 2.75 1oz #7.5 1180fps
    105 of Field & Stream 2.75", 1-1/8oz, #8, 3dram, 1200fps
Lifetime rounds: 2,126

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

a few more days at the range, RS12 truckin along:
    75 of Remington Gun Club Target Loads 2.75", 1-1/8oz, #8, 3dram, 1200fps.
    15 of Estate Super Sport Competition Target Load 2.75 1oz #7.5 1180fps.
    100 of Field & Stream 2.75", 1-1/8oz, #8, 3dram, 1200fps.
Lifetime rounds: 2,316

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Hey longtime lurker, first time poster. Thanks for this in depth review. Just picked up a slightly used Axis RS12 30" (price was too good to pass up) and am looking forward to giving it a go soon. I'll be sure to save this thread and really appreciate you taking the time to keep it up after purchase. Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:19 pm 
Utility Grade

IheartShotguns wrote:
Did notice the smiths @ Fabarm fixed the loose front bottom barrel by hiding some stainless shim material between the barrel and hanger. The bottom barrel feels secure but the shims are walking around a little bit with recoil. Had to push one back in place. Will keep an eye on it, may need a dab of CA glue to hold them permanently. Too bad they didn't remedy the issue by changing out the lower hanger for one the correct size.

Thanks for posting such a thorough review, it is extremely helpful as a prospective buyer. I'm curious if this issue with the loose bottom barrel has resurfaced? The floating barrel design is probably the feature that makes me the most uncertain about longevity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bottom barrel still snug in it's home since the fix. I watch the shim and have had to push it back twice, it takes quite a few shots before it peeks out again. I haven't put glue on it.

I would not hesitate to recommend the RS12, and am not worried at all about longevity of the floating barrels. Floating barrels are a proven concept, used extensively by Krieghoff (https://www.krieghoff.com/competition-s ... ghoff-k80/), some Blaser (http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=882&L=1) - these are high volume competition sporting machines. The barrels are probably my favorite part of this Fabarm - they are an absolute work of art and engineering.

I don't know the exact origin of O/U shotgun floating barrel concept but it was featured on the Remington 32 dating back to early 1930's (https://www.remingtonsociety.org/reming ... 2-shotgun/). This book describes how Remington started with a rigid hanger for the bottom barrel but switched to a floating design to mitigate problems caused by uneven barrel heating and deformation (https://books.google.com/books?id=lIR7A ... on&f=false).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Appreciate the response, glad to here you'd still recommend it despite the issue. I'm hoping to shoot this gun along with ELOS N2 Sporting when the sales rep makes his way through my area again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I have had the Axis RS12 Sporting version with adjustable comb for almost 2 years and put somewhere between 15,000 - 20,000 shells through it. It is an OK gun, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

The main issues I have with it that it always needs a slam for it to close. It gets pretty old. If you forget to slam it, it will not close, and will open up after the first shot. The more I shoot, the more I crave being able to just gently close it. If I close it gently, then I have to press the open lever to the left, until it is completely on the metal part of the receiver. Strange. That doesn't make it feel like a high quality gun.

Another issue I had with it: After a half year of shooting the gun started double firing. I sent it in to be repaired and Fabarm fixed that at no charge very quickly and it has not done it since getting it back.

The floating barrels have weathered the abuse very well, no problems there.

The Negrini case is getting to be pretty beat up - I shoot 3-4 times per week and the plastic inside the case has cracked in one spot and one of the closing latches has broken.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good feedback @ OldGambaSBT, I suggest creating a new thread for this info and include some pictures so the rest of the community is informed. I'd like to learn more.

Back to this particular RS12, some more Pb downrange. I noticed some light corrosion on the outside of the barrel, near where it gets handled and exposed to skin oils etc. A quick swipe with 0000 steel wool and some corrosion protection completely eliminated it.
    +282 of Field & Stream 2.75", 1-1/8oz, #8, 3dram, 1200fps.
Lifetime rounds: 2,598

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Been getting out to the range quite a bit lately, now that quarantine restrictions are easing here. Lifetime rounds 3209.

After doing some research, and seeing videos from a friend's ShotKam, I recently picked one up; a total game changer. Seriously, I can't say enough good things about it. It has completely changed my approach to learning and I'm seeing results at the range. I use it everytime, go back home and assign myself homework to review the shots and build a mental picture of how I want to break the bird. I'm moving on the birds faster, my follow thru has improved, I've changed hold points and look points, barrel movement is more consistent. You can clearly see exactly why you missed and errors in your technique. It's not cheap but IMO worth every penny.

Some bad news. At 3131 rounds, she double fired on me! Twice in one round! It wasn't a fan-fire or quick double-tap, it was a true double fire and thanks to the ShotKam I've got video to prove it.

I'm taking the opportunity to strip and deep clean and see if I can figure out why. It's strange (but not unheard of), the inertia block is supposed to prevent this from happening...

Teardown details next post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

This post: why she doubled?

Trigger was tight. And of all the rounds I've shot only once before did I get a double tap due to poor form (on a quick sloppy mount). Besides this was a true double.

When I pulled off the stock, Top_Lever_Retaining_Pin (V-249) dropped out the right side. Close inspection shows the peening was a bit too far away from the pin hole, missing the mark and thus not retaining the pin. NBD. But it does hint this peening is done by hand, I would guess on final assembly and inspection of the receiver.

Inside the receiver was clean. There was a light oil on the inertia block mechanism otherwise it was dry inside. No evidence of powder or other contaminants getting inside. Definitely no contaminants anywhere near the trigger mech and sears. So contamination doesn't seem a likely cause.

Let's dig deeper and see if we can find out why. Clearly I need to look closely at the primary and secondary sears, hammers, selector block, inertia block and trigger mech.

Sear and hammers are suberbly machined and finished parts. Hammers and sears are hardened, polished and deeply blued(?).

Here's a sketch of Inertia_Block_Support_Complete (V-101-A) so we can align on terminology.

When BOT is selected, safety off, and Inertia_Block_Support_Complete (V-101-A) datum surface is spring loaded against the right sear (by P-097) and primary surface is fully under the right sear. There is ~0.010" gap from the left sear to V-101-A left side secondary surface. Trigger pull pushes V-101-A up and backwards/away from the sears. By the time the hammer drops, the gap has grown to ~ 0.030". Looks safe. Can't imagine how it doubled. That being said, 0.010" gap could be larger and it wouldn't impact function or performance.

Recoil moves the Inertia_Block (V-084) reward, dragging V-101-A with it, releasing the right sear from V-101-A primary surface, and allowing it to drop forward and free of V-101-A. When the Inertia_Block returns forward under P-097 spring tension now the left side seconday surface of V-101-A engages under the left sear, ready to release the left hammer for top barrel.

It goes like this:
Cocked, rtg. notice the small gap between V-101-A left side secondary surface and the left sear.

BOT hammer dropped. Inertia block before recoil/reset.

Inertia block reset, right sear dropped away, V-101-A pushed forward and left sear engaged on V-101-A left side secondary surface, ready to fire TOP.

TOP hammer dropped. Inertia block reset. Both barrels fired. Ready for break-open reset sequence.

When TOP is selected, safety off, and V-101-A central primary surface is spring loaded against the left sear, there is 0.011" gap from the right sear to V-101-A right side secondary surface.

So it seems neither side is more prone to doubles.

Because the safety and selector switch is spring detented, I can't see how V-101-A would park between the sears, and even if it did, the sears are quite far apart, approx 1 mm so it is highly unlikely or impossible for both sears to contact the primary surface. Further, when the selector is left or right as normal, the V-101-A primary surface is fully under the selected sear, with zero overlap into the space between let alone encroaching under the other sear.

I just can't see why it would double. Everything appears to be in order.

But for argument's sake, if the datum surface was a little more proud, the secondary surfaces would be that much further away from the non-engaged sear. The primary surface is deep enough (~0.040") that adding 0.005" to 0.010" would still provide a sear engagement that's at least as large as the primary sear engagement (~0.025"). If it doubles again I might try putting a piece of aluminum tape on the datum surface just to check.

Other observations:
Interestingly, and different than other O/U I've used, it is possible to change barrel selector when the safety is off.

Open_Gun_Autosafe_Lever (V-212) is not doing its job? The metal tab is bent too far away from the Inertia_Block_Support_Complete (V-101-A) and does not push V-101-A away from the sears when the barrels are opened. If the top lever is pushed hard right, past where it is necessary to break the action, V-212 does push V-101-A away from the sears.

Kinetik recoil mass and stock bolt were both tight. Thankfully no damage to the stock after the 2 double fires.

There was a light oil at perimeter of receiver / stock. Probably from me cleaning/oiling the outside. Note to self don't spray lube directly on the receiver.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don't know why all the pictures ended up sideways LOL. Will try to fix later.

Quick update: another 105 rounds down the tubes and zero issues. Tried both TOP and BOT selected. So hopefully the doubling issue is magically resolved.

Lifetime rounds 3314

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:29 am 
Utility Grade

thanks for all the info on the Axis RS12. How goes it with the double firing as well as the barrels holding true in that front attachment point?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:53 am 
Presentation Grade

Happy to report the double-fire issue was resolved after a good cleaning of the receiver. I'm at 4066 lifetime rounds today so > 900 down the pipe since with zero issues.

Regarding the barrel attachments, no change. The shot still goes right where it's pointed (indeed confirmed with a ShotKam) and the barrels are not loose, etc. The small shim under the front hanger is still hanging in there and doing it's job.