ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning L4S IH
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I traded in my well-used Beretta A300 Outlander for an L4S initial hunter. I always used Hoppe's #9 to clean the areas fouled by the gas action on the A300. I'm finding it very difficult to get the piston, piston cylinder, and a small area at the top of the magazine tube shiny clean. The Hoppe's takes off most of the black stuff, but it doesn't get back to the shiny brass color. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I could soak the piston in Hoppe's, but I'm wondering whether that would damage the elastomeric part, and that would not help the other areas.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning L4S IH
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:55 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

niceguy wrote:
I'm thinking I could soak the piston in Hoppe's, but I'm wondering whether that would damage the elastomeric part, and that would not help the other areas.

Don't soak or lube the Pulse Piston. For the clay guns, you can.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Randy - I believe the video says to use solvent, but I'm guessing your concern is that I do not get solvent on the elastomeric? Also, do you think scotchbrite blue or 00 steel wool would be too abrasive?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

niceguy wrote:
Randy - I believe the video says to use solvent, but I'm guessing your concern is that I do not get solvent on the elastomeric? Also, do you think scotchbrite blue or 00 steel wool would be too abrasive?

Yes-- as the elastomer insert acts as a wiper / scrubber, it doesn't get nearly dirty enough to affect operation. As it acts like a friction brake, lubing it defeats its purpose.

Above is as dirty as mine ever gets. If it doesn't come off with a damp cloth, it isn't worth obsessing about. Personally, I wouldn't use steel wool on it anymore than I would use steel wool on the treads of my truck tires.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 am 
Utility Grade

Looking at the leading edge (muzzle end) of your piston in the picture above, there are black streaks - I can reduce those with Hoppes #9, but can't eliminate them. Also the inside of the piston housing has a burned-on patina (after only 150 rounds), and I can't impact that at all. But from what you're saying, I can just ignore that and keep shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:34 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:52 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It takes me all of about five minutes to clean a L4S. The L4S with about 400 rounds of target loads through it is shown above.

Using Rem Oil PRO3 and three large cotton patches is all it took to clean the action, plus another couple of patches for the inside of the barrel. The “Pulse Piston” acts as a wiper, so the inside of the gas cylinder doesn't get very dirty, and the internals of the L4S are generously plated so nothing much sticks.

It is just a matter of wetting the patches with Rem Oil PRO3 (or Breakfree) and briskly wiping everything that moves or is dirty, cleaning and lubing at the same time. If I wanted to be a bit more meticulous, I'd use a brush on the front of the Pulse Piston, and drop the trigger group as well. That's an “every fourth clean” proposition for me. What I just did was with my fingers and cotton patches of Rem Oil PRO3, excepting the bore of the barrel where I used a bronze bore brush.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Randy - a casual reader might think you are implying that you use Rem Oil PRO3 on the piston and piston housing. In the videos Fabarm recommends solvent (and not lube) on the piston, piston housing, and mag tube, right? My issue is strictly on these components. Could you please clarify what you recommend on those?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:58 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

niceguy wrote:
Randy - a casual reader might think you are implying that you use Rem Oil PRO3 on the piston and piston housing. In the videos Fabarm recommends solvent (and not lube) on the piston, piston housing, and mag tube, right? My issue is strictly on these components. Could you please clarify what you recommend on those?

Whether Breakfree, G96, Ballistol, RemOil Pro Cubed - - - they are solvents as well as lube. I will certainly use up the RemOil PRO3 I have, but Remington has changed ownership.

I'll always bow to the formidable shotgun wizardry of Andrew at Fabarm USA. If you're looking for a new lube, go G96: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E ... TNAU&psc=1 .

Breakfree came out in the 1970s: I've been using it since 1980 or so, over 40 years. It is unlikely that I'll use something else for over forty years, according to the calendar. The Remoil Pro Cubed is still available, but I have no idea if it will be going forward. https://www.amazon.com/Remington-18918- ... 221H0BVAC1 .

Okay, current Remoil is $14.60 for 4 oz., but G96 is $18.50 for 12 oz. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E ... TNAU&psc=1 .

Right now, G96 is both the better deal and the best product for gas guns (and most everything).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:13 pm 
Utility Grade

So to my surprise, and just to confirm, you are recommending that it's ok to use a CLP type product (solvent/lube combo) on the components where Fabarm says use solvent but do not lube? Thanks for your patience on this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

niceguy wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, no one at Fabarm USA has ever mentioned, hinted, claimed, or suggested that you should not use G96, Breakfree CLP, or any other CLP's on an L4S Hunter or any L4S or XLR5 model for that matter. A CLP is a solvent.

I think G96 is the current cream of the crop. Feel free to contact Fabarm USA directly and ask if they have any problems or concerns with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, if nothing else , this thread has certainly served to make this L4S owner/shooter totally and completely uncertain as to what product(s) to use to properly care for his firearm.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Tidefanatic wrote:
Well, if nothing else , this thread has certainly served to make this L4S owner/shooter totally and completely uncertain as to what product(s) to use to properly care for his firearm.

Is this a slow day at the gun club or something? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is just as simple as clean it and lube it. That's all there is, that's all there ever was with shotguns. Gas-operated shotguns aren't novel. In fact, the most popular autoloading shotgun in the history of the world is the Remington 1100 . . . with over 4,000,000 produced. In fact, long ago (1983) the 1100 hit 3,000,000 sold. Millions are in operation today, with very little drama. confusion, or cornfusion.

CLP started with Ballistol . . . in 1904. It was, and continues to be, an all-in-one solution the negates the need for a harsh degreaser, plus lubricating oil, plus an additional protectant like wax or cosmolene.

Sure, Remington has said use RemOil, Browning has said use Browning oil, Beretta has said use Beretta oil, and so it goes. https://www.browning.com/content/dam/br ... 4-om-s.pdf "Various exposed metal parts of your new gun have been coated at the factory with a rust preventative compound. Before assembling your shotgun, clean the anti-rust compound from the inside of the barrel,receiver and the action-chamber areas. Browning Oil is ideal for removing this compound and for giving your new gun its first lubrication." There it is: Browning Oil is used as a SOLVENT to remove 'this compound'.

There isn't much new here. What is the best motor oil? Motor oil is a far more demanding application than a shotgun that sees only 20-30 minutes of actual use under load during its lifetime.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:49 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Take a look at the Gould Brothers video.

They are using:

Quote:
CLEANING PRODUCTS USED
Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil (Used as cleaner and surface oil) http://bit.ly/synoilCab
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (Used to clean off oil and carbon)
Nylon Brush (Used to scrub gun parts)
Otis Carbon Remover (Used to soak gas piston)
Otis Dry Lube (Used to lubricate internal and all moving parts)
Windex (Used to remover carbon from mag tube and gas ports on the barrel)

That's FIVE different fluids to clean a shotgun (SX4) that is full of plastic and rubber.

Well, it is a "way," but WAY more products than I'm going to use. The Gun Scrubber is too aggressive to use around plastic parts for my tastes.

All you need is G96 and a nylon brush for any XLR5 / or L4S Pulse Piston action. That's it, along with Hoppe's for the bore. XLR5 and L4S target guns do not have an elastomeric portion on the piston, so "Gun Scrub away" if that suits you, or dunk the piston in Slip 2000 if you prefer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I called Fabarm support to ask about the solvent vs lube vs CLP combo question that has been puzzling me. They put me through to a gunsmith, and he said it's fine to use a CLP combo product as the solvent on the "do not lube" areas if you then wipe off all you can of the product after cleaning. He did say it's OK to have some streaks or patina left on the piston/piston housing. I asked which product they are recommending, and he said G96. Although he seemed reluctant to recommend using any abrasive, he said that 000 steel wool would probably be ok on the titanium nitride coating.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Consider yourself fortunate if you shoot a XLR5 or L4S in respect to cleaning. Not trying to alarm anyone but this is what the possible alternative is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZDSPTHMx4

The gunsmith forgets to clean the gas piston, gas piston housing, and the mag. tube.