ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L4Sporting question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just received my new L4S. Had dealer add stock and forend weight kit. Gun feels very light.
Question. When I removed the pad, the weight / recoil reducer was there however the entire
Stock was hollow similar to a hunting gun rather than a 1” bored hole down to the stock bolt.
Wondering if my stock was flipped from dealer or is this the way it is.

Post subject: Re: L4Sporting question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:03 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It is highly unlikely your dealer did any 'stock flipping."

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

With all due respect Randy, wood swaps happen all the time at dealer level.
All I wanted to know, does any one out there with a L4s Sporting have a hollow stock.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:45 am 
Tournament Grade

I thought I remembered that there was a review that said the L4S stocks were machinable and one could make some changes like an adjustable comb etc. A photo of the inside would be helpful to see just how hollow it is. I would be surprised that a reputable dealer would swap out a factory stock. Did you ask your dealer what the deal was? I am sure Fabarms would not be pleased if one of their dealers was doing that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:20 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I doubt anyone is trying to do anything deceptive. The design of the stock is probably to maintain balance and handling characteristics. The L4S is, in fact, a relatively light SC gun. Check the specs and you'll find it is 1/2 to 1 pound lighter than the XLR5 models.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

artrebound wrote:
With all due respect Randy, wood swaps happen all the time at dealer level.
All I wanted to know, does any one out there with a L4s Sporting have a hollow stock.

What do you mean by hollow? There is a "generous recess under the pad that lets you install the recoil reducer."

No reputable dealer swaps wood without the customers knowledge and permission. I've never heard of it, much less seen it. The standard L4S Sporting is Tri-Wood, just what could it be swapped with? It isn't happening and didn't happen with a standard L4S Sporting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

artrebound wrote:
Just received my new L4S. Had dealer add stock and forend weight kit. Gun feels very light.
Question. When I removed the pad, the weight / recoil reducer was there however the entire
Stock was hollow similar to a hunting gun rather than a 1” bored hole down to the stock bolt.

It's normal-similar to a Beretta stock. I'm sure it was not flipped.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is a photo of the stock insides from my L4S I just picked up today!

From the earlier discription I was expecting the whole thing to be hollow. This is just about what I expected, no problems. It is also as drawn in the parts diagram included with the firearm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you MDdan. That is what I was looking for. Good luck with your new gun and enjoy.
Art

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:05 am 
Crown Grade

artrebound wrote:

Mine is the same.

After shooting the XLR5 FR and the L4S Sporting, each one out of the box, the L4S feels to me, considerably lighter. A light auto sporting clay gun is not ideal IMO. Fabarm has made field guns for their line. Is the L4S a hybrid? I don't understand why they came with a aluminum receiver when you want the weight between the hands, steel would have added the weight necessary, and they would not have to add forend and buttstock weight to correct the problem. Obviously, they know what they are doing because the L4S Sporting is selling good, just don't understand their reasoning.

After me making considerable adjustments to my L4S Sporting, it shoots way better than I anticipated.

Last edited by 4th. down on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Putting mine up for sale. 200 rounds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

artrebound wrote:
Putting mine up for sale. 200 rounds

Absolutely no criticism intended, and if you wish not to answer absolutely no problem and understand, but why if I may ask? Thanks.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:33 pm 
Crown Grade

4th. down wrote:
artrebound wrote:

Mine is the same.

After shooting the XLR5 FR and the L4S Sporting, each one out of the box, the L4S feels to me, considerably lighter. A light auto sporting clay gun is not ideal IMO. Fabarm has made field guns for their line. Is the L4S a hybrid? I don't understand why they came with a aluminum receiver when you want the weight between the hands, steel would have added the weight necessary, and they would not have to add forend and buttstock weight to correct the problem. Obviously, they know what they are doing because the L4S Sporting is selling good, just don't understand their reasoning.

After me making considerable adjustments to my L4S Sporting, it shoots way better than I anticipated.

Well, update on the L4S Sporting - Now have about 6 flats thru it and it's running good but every once in a while, about 1 shell per box and using different shells, the fired hull does not quite make it out of the breech. I believe it's probably the lifter coming up from the loading gate to the breech like my 391's use to do. Briley fixed the lifters on the 391's so I might take it to them.

With the weight in the buttstock and a Kicks/Smoke choke with the 30" barrel, the weight is good and the recoil is not a problem even using HDCP loads. They like to be CLEAN, and when they are, a dream to shoot. Couldn't make it without a dremel, absolutely impossible.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:26 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

4th. down wrote:

Ask yourself, who makes an autoloader today with a steel receiver? In a general sense: no one! The last significant-selling autoloader is the best-seller of all time, the Remington 1100 / 11-87 series, yet the future of even that is in doubt.

These are not lightweight shotguns by any means: https://fabarmusa.com/xlr5-velocity-lr/ and https://fabarmusa.com/xlr5-velocity-ar/ at 8-1/4 lbs. for starters.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:24 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
4th. down wrote:

Ask yourself, who makes an autoloader today with a steel receiver? In a general sense: no one! The last significant-selling autoloader is the best-seller of all time, the Remington 1100 / 11-87 series, yet the future of even that is in doubt.

These are not lightweight shotguns by any means: https://fabarmusa.com/xlr5-velocity-lr/ and https://fabarmusa.com/xlr5-velocity-ar/ at 8-1/4 lbs. for starters.

Randy, I don't know about yours obviously, but my L4S was 7 lbs. 1 oz. out of the box so I still believe that's light for a sporting clay model shotgun, but of course, YMMV.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:22 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

My L4S Grey Sporting weighs 7-1/2 pounds on the nose, 3/4 lb. more than my L4S Hunter and a 1/2 pound more than a Browning Maxus Sporting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:03 am 
Presentation Grade

My XLR-FR, with 30” barrel, weighs in at 7#,9 oz, which surprised me as I thought it was more than that. Regardless, being recoil sensitive, I find it easy to shoot and have no problem with the recoil, using 1 oz loads at 1200-1250 FPS. My Beretta A400 is much closer to 6-3/4#, but with the KickOff, recoil is not a problem.

When I was looking at purchasing my XLR, the L4S was not available in left hand, and after several e-mails to Randy asking questions, I went to the XLR- FR and have been very happy. If I had not already bought the Beretta A400, I would definitely look at the L4S as my hunting gun. I think that Fabarms shotguns are one of the best kept secrets in shooting!

Now if Randy, as their unofficial spokesman, can convince them to make sub-gauge guns in left hand, I will sell whatever I need to sell to get one of each! Don’t worry Randy, I know I am safe- sub-gauge Fabarms will not happen in my life time!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
I never thought I'd be saying this, but the six most desirable 20 gauge repeaters in my book are all discontinued or out of production at the moment. This is quite a shame, as 20 gauge ammunition has never been better.

If the postings on SW are any indication, there`s no real lack of demand for the 20 gauge, so.......?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Please tell us what those six are!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith