#1 ·
What is the most complete dog ?
Germain shorthair112.50%
English pointer00.00%
English setter225.00%
Spaniel breton00.00%
Others562.50%

#54 ·
I'm going with Pitbulls or Rottweilers. Smart, loyal, brave, and an all around good companions.

#55 ·
Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
Smart, loving, powerful, beautiful, tenacious & loyal.

#60 ·
Hahaha! My buddy is a "heelerman" himself, so I had to give you some crap! I have a german shepard/sharpe mix right now. He is an excellent family dog, and is the most loyal, protective dog I've ever had. I work nights for overtime, so the wife(probation/parole agent) and the boy are home at night alone. By her job's definition, she makes allot of enemies, and "Boot" has proven his mettle on several occasions. He will literally attempt to kill ANYTHING! Black bears/bunnies/2 legged/4 legged, whatever bothers mama better watch out! He's insane!

After not having a bird dog for 6yrs. now, the next one will hunt, and will hunt as hard or harder than I do!

#61 ·
Shepard and sharpe/ Damm! Big ,ugly tempered, ugly too. No wonder he's loyal, nobody would have anything that ugly, bet he's grateful. And with them skin problems he's sorta the Crokagater of the dog world, no wonder he's so mean! I bet the house is plenty safe. I rely on a brace of Heelers for that work. a guy might get past one, but two will make him dance. Ya know in the gun dog Dept. the little cow dog can do that too....just sayin'.

#62 ·
He's actually a really good looking dog! I know surprising! He's a neat freak, always cleaning himself(paws are the big ones), he's actually kind of a priss. I bet he is greatful, he would've been put down 1o days from when we found him(he was a pound hound). I think you're right, cow dogs COULD be gun dogs as they are very smart. But, the germans always do it better, we always have.......cars, planes, food, beer, dogs, genocide...wait that last one's not good! O.k., so we do ALMOST everything better!

#63 ·
I had a English Springer back in the 80's and she was a pretty good bird dog worked close in and was a good retriever with a really soft mouth. I miss her!
If I ever get another hunting dog, it might be a lab.

#69 ·
Mine is a Chessadore. Everything a Lab/Chesapeake could possibly be.---Rough, tuff,hard headed,but a quick learner--impervious to bad weather ,but likes it in the house---hates to share his time with me ,but loves my wife too. No water too cold ,but curls up by the fire and loves it too. VERY PROTECTIVE !!!!!! ,but my grandkids can ride him and he loves it !

#73 ·
When it comes to bird dogs for quail, pheasant and grouse, I've had them all. The only one from here on out is the Epagneul Breton! They are best in the field and best in the home.

#74 ·
Setters...tho an english pointer will help keep the fleas off the setters.

Actually tho and assuming a bird dog, breed is less important than line, genetic potential and what fits your home, your concept of a bird dog and, most important, your own reality of hunt.
While my first bird dog was a GSP and washed-out english setter cover dogs, walking-shooting dogs taught me the most about ruffed grouse to pheasant hunting and beyond....today, nearing 70, I have found that a Gordon setter is best...for me.

While the Gordon hunting gene pool is small and shallow, comparably....swell options exist.
A bit of a clown at times, all business and nose afield and with a "you really want to do that?" attitude, the slow-maturing Gordon dings dat bell.

#76 ·
Quite a few wonderful dogs and hunting dogs, BUT, for me a black Lab is as good as it gets. They do everything well but are the absolute best, hands down for stealing your heart and attaching their soul to yours.
I have had 5, both males and females, and they all are the same, the best !

CT