ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB Remington Shotgun Hulls that use #57 primers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 pm 
Utility Grade

WTB old school Remington shotgun hulls that use #57 primers.

I have a brick of Remington #57 primers I'd like to use up, but do not have any hulls. As I shoot all 4 gauges. I'm open to what is out there.

What have you got?

Post subject: Re: WTB Remington Shotgun Hulls that use #57 primers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had the same problem and came to the conclusion that there just weren’t many hulls out there anymore. Sure I picked a few here and there but they are hard to come by. I ended up giving about 800 primers away to a guy who used them in brass hulls that were set up to take the 57. He was thrilled to get them. Another friend used McDonalds soda straws and cut off about 1/8” of straw, slipped it over the #57 and then loaded it in a hull that took 209s. He swore it worked, but I never tried it,

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Look on Gunbroker. I've got 3 full flat rate boxes of Remington 28 ga hulls that take the 157 primer on there for sale right now. Also have a bunch of 16 ga hulls that take the 157 that I haven't listed yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the tip about using straws to make the primers work.

I've tried it and it worked, but it's a pain to do.

Also, I appreciate the information on the Gun Broker listings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:00 am 
Tournament Grade

The other funny part is I'm the guy that came up with the straw/sleeve idea. Posted it on double gunshop.comIsClosed years ago with a bunch of pictures. Costco straws were the ones that worked the best for me. JW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:19 am 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
I had the same problem and came to the conclusion that there just weren’t many hulls out there anymore. Sure I picked a few here and there but they are hard to come by. I ended up giving about 800 primers away to a guy who used them in brass hulls that were set up to take the 57. He was thrilled to get them. Another friend used McDonalds soda straws and cut off about 1/8” of straw, slipped it over the #57 and then loaded it in a hull that took 209s. He swore it worked, but I never tried it,

Is this your freind? I have some of those 57 primers around here and was planning on doing the same.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ub ... ber=328545

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No, that is not the person. Resourceful though! I would not use those in any semi auto gun. With primers being scarce, I can see folks trying tricks like this.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

brdslayr wrote:
The other funny part is I'm the guy that came up with the straw/sleeve idea. Posted it on double gunshop.comIsClosed years ago with a bunch of pictures. Costco straws were the ones that worked the best for me. JW

Thank you for that tip and sorry I have not given you proper credit since I too have recommended your solution to others. Now I can give you full credit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13 am 
Utility Grade

Nice to digitally "meet" the person who came up with the straw trick. Well done! As I mentioned, I tried it and it worked fine.

However, I never tried to reload those hulls, and appreciate the advice that trying will gum up my Mec reloader pretty fast.

I stocked up on "standard" primers a couple of years ago and can easily last 2 or 3 years on my stock. However, being a Dutchman, I hate to see those 57 primers not put to good use. As to the 28 ga Remington hulls for sale on Gynbroker, every time I tried to load Remington 28 ga hulls I end up crushing one or two per box. It doesn't make sense to me to refigure my Mec loader for 1k of primers. Between that, and the price of the Remington 28 ga hulls listed on Gunbroker, the cost does not make sense.

I shoot AA CF hulls in 28 & 410, and STS in 12 ga. If I use the straw fix, the best place for me would be in my 1100 20 ga. as those shells are one & done for me.

Has anyone shot the "straw" shells from an auto, and if so, were were issues with the primers coming out?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Don't shoot the sleeved primers out of an auto. Tried it. Once. Guaranteed to drop a primer into the inner workings and jam things up. I'm of the first in, first out theory. Hopefully during this primer crisis more of those old 157's will get shot up. Happy to take em off anybody's hands if they don't want to hassle with them. JW

Oh and thanks for the recognition. Not what I want to be famous for, but a guys gotta take what he can get.

Post subject: WTB Remington Shotgun Hulls that use #57 primers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Be careful loading those old Remington Hulls with 57 primers. Most will have a hard asbestos like base wad that you need to watch closely. They are very old and will disintegrate. You may encounter a few hulls with plastic base wads as it was about the time that 57 primers went by the wayside. In particular, those 28s will not load like the ones with plastic base wads (aka SP). The only data that I could find was about 13 grains of 7625, also long gone, but I still have some. Same thing for 16 ga. Most Rems that I had that took the 57 were dark green or raspberry colored plastic with the paper base wad. Loading data with any powder available today was very hard to come by. Just be sure to correctly identify your hull!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hal4son wrote:
casonet wrote:

Is this your freind? I have some of those 57 primers around here and was planning on doing the same.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ub ... ber=328545

Love it, I've got to try this! Thanks for the tip how to use up my +/- 500 of 57's. Now to go get McD and Costco straws ---