ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 G3
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Reading some of these comments are good for a laugh because some here have no clue, because the 1100 & 11-87 are great guns. If any Manfacture can come up with something better and out sell it then I will take notice. While some other Auto's are nice as well I have never seen a reason to change.
Any one of you Remington Haters who does not think my Auto's are not reliable is Nut's from Pheasant Hunting below zero to the trap & skeet range there flawless, Just like anything mechanical learn it and clean it after using it and it will not let you down. Duck hunting last fall set a record of 6F when launching the boat, I bagged my Ducks and a couple Canada's with no malfunctions with a 1100 3 inch Mag as I have for the last 40 years. If you are to Lazy to take care of it buy a O/U or SxS because reliability in a Auto shotgun lies with the owner and how it is maintained

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

1100 Remington Man says much that is factual. I have made 1100 Mags totally reliable in super cold weather by stripping them of all oils and lubricating with powdered Moly D. This was after the previous owner complained that it would not work for him at all in cold temps. I have owned a wheel barrel full of 1100s, worked on two or three times that many, and can say that the newer graphite coated O rings like Brownells sells, really seem to hold up great. Having said all that, I still think there are newer and better designed gas autos available and in comparison to my favorite, the FABARM semi auto, the 1100 is just a 55 year old design. Just my opinion, and no offense intended or trying to get anyone fired up.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My normal routine of spray and wipe with RemOil worked fine down to minus 11 F. I would no longer venture out into that anyway. I tested RemOil and WD-40 and Breakfree in the freezer at work and they were all fine down to minus 15 F.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I was young and new to cartridge guns some 30+ years ago (started my shoring career on blackpowder guns), I left too much oil on the firing pin of a Beretta 92 before I went shooting in cold weather. Now, with any gun I shoot if the weather is colder- below 32f- the oil comes off and graphite or other dry lube goes on.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:21 pm 
Limited Edition

davemccarthy707 wrote:
Remington never made a semi auto. They only made a single shot with spare shells inside ;)

And yet, the world record (1978) that was set and has yet to be equaled was accomplished with a 20 gauge Remington model 1100 that went 24,000 rounds before FTF.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 pm 
Field Grade

I bought my first 1100-G3 as a 20ga. Loved the slick smooth operation compared to my 1100 20ga Sporting. I sold the Sporting and have enjoyed the G3 very much. So much so that I began looking for one in 12ga. With the overbored barrel, and lengthened forcing cone... more shot delivered into the pattern. I finally landed one, and have really loved it. The lengthened bolt release button really makes loading an easy job. The Titanium/Teflon coating has a classy look and although the larger diameter barrel adds some additional weight, it does little except to reduce the recoil. I shoot only Remington Gun Club ammo in my shotguns. Had some issues with earlier 12ga 1100's not digesting the bulk Winchester and or Federal shells from Walmart. For a few cents more a box the Remington's were flawless.

The 1100-G3 is really an 1187 action. Wider extractor will not fit in the standard 1100 barrel, and of course the G3's accept 3" shells, which has it's advantages insofar as the longer chamber gives shot time to get into the bore, and improves the pattern density.

I have since bought two more 1100-G3 12ga shotguns. One turned out to have an 1187 barrel on it. Quite disappointing, however the seller reduced the price of the shotgun, and I sent the barrel out to Angleport to have the forcing cone lengthened, and it shoots as good as the standard G3 and weighs less. I recently replaced the G3 Stock with a gorgeous fancy walnut stock that Remington sent me. It will hang in my collection until after I pass on. Beautiful shotgun, and shoots very well.

I shoot American Skeet on my private range. http://ccskeet.com I have had the range now for 5 years, and the group has grown to a respectable number which almost always means a full squad. Makes for some fun and a lot of fellowship.

Many people say that the new Remington shotguns aren't as good as the older ones. However I have found that the cheaper ones with laminate stocks or the nylon stocks have not been polished as nicely and are not blued, but have a black oxide finish. These are as good as or better than the older ones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:56 pm 
Field Grade

FishT wrote:
I've run about 12000 rounds through my 11-87 trap purchased back in 1988 or thereabouts. Then it was in the gun case for 17 years, and just recently activated again (last August) when I started shooting trap again. It has performed perfectly and I've run probably another 1200 shells, both reloads and factory ammo, through it.

A few weeks ago I purchased an 1100 Competition, only because no one seemed to be able to find an 1100 Classic trap and this gun was more readily available. I shot 50 rounds at 16 yds practice and used it yesterday in doubles. It misfired one AA factory load at 16 yards and jammed twice in doubles - not feeding the second round. I took some heat at club from the over and under guys ....

PT

Well take some heat, but they still work. Took my 12 ga 1187 out this morning for some skeet, rain off and on. Left my two silver pigeons in the safe. Only shot my two 1187s
(12 & 20) a couple times this year. Today I shot my highest score of the year. My squad mates had troubles with their auto loading Italians.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:16 am 
Limited Edition

dhenzler wrote:
I have since bought two more 1100-G3 12ga shotguns.

Are the choke tubes aligned TRUE with the bore of the barrels in the 20ga and 12ga, particularly the pro-bore G3?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm 
Field Grade

Attachment:
1100g3.jpg
I have had many Remington 1100 shotguns. I have kept the ones that perform well for me. And noted the issues that some have turned into Remington Hate rants.

True enough there are many of these shotguns out there that have insufficient gas port size to function properly with target ammo. Especially the cheap stuff sold at Walmart. In the past 5 years I have purchased a few New Remington Sporting shotguns in 20, 28 and .410 size. All function flawlessly. I also purchased a 20ga 1100 G3 which I immediately fell in love with. Beauty, soft recoiling easy cleaning all because of the teflon coating on the important interior parts. I then decided that I'd have to own a 12ga model 1100 G3 which was a real head turner. I installed an extended skeet choke on this and began shooting skeet with amazing breaks. Powdering most targets. One member of my club exclaiming "what choke have you got in there?, you're powdering these targets.". I loved how light the recoil was... attributed to the overbore barrel. And cleanup is easy because of the lengthened and polished forcing cone. I attribute the dusted targets to more shot in the pattern. Due to the oversize bore and lengthened & polished forcing cone. As well the G3 uses the model 1187 gas system. Functioning flawlessly. I shoot Remington Gun Club ammo exclusively. It can be had for a few pennies more than the cheap stuff and reloads nicely.

I have 4 of the 12ga G3's and will be selling a couple of them as having one spare is more than sufficient. They are both beautiful and functionally great. I own a Beretta AL390 which was my most flawless shooter, but now the G3 stands up to it and kicks less.

I have played with some Remington 1100's and found this to be true:
    If your gun doesn't throw empties out 8' or more, replace the rubber O ring
    if the gun beats you excessively with light to moderate loads, replace the recoil spring, and check the bolt buffer (a $5 part that will save your receiver)
    if light loads continue to not cycle properly check the feed latch, and clean your gas ports with pipe cleaners and powder solvent
    And remember... clean your gun every time you have shot two cases of shells, or if it's going to be stored for a prolonged period.

Doing the above will turn you to loving your 1100 shotgun.

By the way... I sell a 2lb sear spring for the 1100, 870, and other similar trigger group. See my website... http://springs.ccskeet.com

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The last thing in the world 11-87s or G3s suffer from is too small gas ports. If you have one that is having trouble with light loads get a set of the old style bevelled piston and piston ring, and put an oversized O ring behind the original, or try a gas seal activator. I have found the O ring works better than the metal gas seal activator.