ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington STS Competition 12ga O/U (Opinions please)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:02 am 
Field Grade

Found this gun for $1350 NIB from friend. Anyone have any experience, opinions on the gun? My wife will be shooting it. I have never delt with Remington O/U's except for the imported Baikals....

Thanks for your input!

Post subject: re: Remington STS Competition 12ga O/U (Opinions please)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had a chance to play around with one this weekend at a local ducks unlimited shoot.Although i did not shoot it,it seemed very nice.pretty well balanced and the low profile receiver is nice.I would say for $1350.00 it is a very good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info!

Anyone else had the opportunity to shoot or own one of these? Would like all the info I could get.

Thanks,
John
AF1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:40 am 
Crown Grade

I seen the Remington STS comp at Gander Mountian for $2400. new and $2200 used. So at $1350 you have a deal. I do think the gun is nice but did not shoot one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:37 am 
Field Grade

Just an update. Went and picked up the gun yesterday. Paid $1350. Came new in case with plastic still around both the 28" barrel and stock. Never been shot (until yesterday afternoon) when my wife put a round of singles and a round of doubles through it. As much as I wanted to shoot it, I didn't because I need to learn how to shoot my 686 WOS 30" barrel first! I just bought the WOS the other day and have only shot three singles and 1 round of doubles through it. I think I am finally getting the feel of it. Might take them both out and pattern them this afternoon.

AF1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:36 am 
Utility Grade

keep us posted on what you think of the gun and its performance, i have been looking at buying one for over a year now since im a big remington fan primarily use my premier 12 sporting for skeet, and would liek to buy one of the premier 12 o/u to shoot as well

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 am 
Field Grade

Will keep you posted. We will be shooting quite a bit of clays in the next few months...

AF1

Post subject: Re: Remington STS Competition 12ga O/U (Opinions please)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

Just an update on the performance of the gun. Have shot several rounds of skeet and trap and no problems whatsoever! My wife really loves the gun. We did add an adjustable butt pad to help fit her a little better. The jump from 20 to 12 was getting her shoulder. Anyhow, Loving it. Plan on keeping it and passing down to the kids. Such a beautiful gun.

AF1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

An update please.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since this is an old post that was dug up, the update is ,these guns are no longer carried by Remington. However the remaining stock was bought up by Guns Unlimited in Omaha and are being sold at good closeout prices. 12 ga. 28" barrel for $999.00 With adjustable comb for $1149.00. Pretty good deal for what your getting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Realize that Remington may not have been as successful as they needed to be in marketing them...

But was the gun considered functionally and reliably sound ?

Will parts be available for them in the future ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not a large enough sample size to tell, but I do know this . They are warrantied by Remington.After that expires I know they were built by Sabatti in Italy. That is where I would look for parts .They were being sold at a fairly high price and the only one I saw looked like a very good quality gun. Actually I was researching these to buy and wanted one but decided to look at subgauges instead. Maybe they were overpriced when offered by Remington but at what they are being sold for now I say it's a bargain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 am 
Field Grade

I have one that now has approx. 5000 rounds through it, mostly 28 ga with tubes for skeet. No functional issues at all but being a left hander I've had to make a lot of mods to the stock. The only problem is the plating coming off around the firing pins. There is another one at our club with a similar (worse than mine) problem. It got sent it off to Remington for repair so I'll see how long that takes. These are made in Italy so to fix it you either swap out the receiver or strip and replate to existing one. We'll see

Post subject: Re: re: Remington STS Competition 12ga O/U (Opinions please)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm 
Field Grade

Air Force 1 wrote:
Just an update. Went and picked up the gun yesterday. Paid $1350. Came new in case with plastic still around both the 28" barrel and stock. Never been shot (until yesterday afternoon) when my wife put a round of singles and a round of doubles through it. As much as I wanted to shoot it, I didn't because I need to learn how to shoot my 686 WOS 30" barrel first! I just bought the WOS the other day and have only shot three singles and 1 round of doubles through it. I think I am finally getting the feel of it. Might take them both out and pattern them this afternoon.

AF1

How would you compare it to your 686 WOS?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought one a few months ago from a shop in Omaha, sight unseen, over the phone. The gun shop was efficient and got the gun no problems in just a few days, for the nice low price noted earlier in the thread.

After about 1200 shots or so I am seeing the same plating wear issue around the firing pins (matches the circumference of the shells actually). Other issues include incomplete seating of the choke tubes in the lower barrel, and remaining stiff action even after a thousand cycles. This weekend I shot some sporting clays (usually shoot singles trap) and had several failures in the inertial trigger for second shots. I tried both barrel orders to see if it worked more reliably one way--but no luck. I also tried my buddy's low end Beretta O/U at one station, and noticed considerable advantage in feel and action.

It is a nice looking gun (great wood, great features for a reasonably priced production gun) and serves me fine as my first gun and for generally single barrel usage--but it is not holding up to moderately regular use and not apparently too reliable.

It is a fair gun at the price (I am not crying over the purchase), but not really built for rigorous use. I am going to have to buy gun #2 soon I think!

Possible Alternatives: Buy a used citori or beretta O/U in the same price range if you can, or spend $2000 new for a new entry level beretta o/u; or go with a proven autoloader like a Rem 1100 or ugly but smooth shooting benelli supersport.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought 2 of these, an STS Comp, and a Premier Upland (same gun) at auction for $750.00 each only because I wanted a clays gun to bang with instead of using the classic doubles I prefer. Yes, some plating came off the breech face around the top lever release button on the STS but who cares as it is so thin it won't affect the headspace at all. All you are really buying is a set of barrels which is what Sabbatti is noted for making for other gun manufacturing firms as well as other internal parts. This includes some of the "Top" Italian makers. Look at the barrel selector mechanism, kind of looks like a Beretta doesn't it? Imagine that! I had trouble with the trigger mechanism right off the bat and Remington wouldn't honor the warranty as I bought at auction instead of one of their dealers. The STS was new but missing the warranty card, owners manual, and 3 of the Pro-Bore chokes. The Upland was complete. I took it to Simmons in Kansas City and they found a slight burr on a sear but mostly dried grease around the trigger inertia block. They have trunnions like a Perazzi instead of a hinge pin, an ejector mechanism on the barrels like a Rizzini/Fabri which if they break you still have extractors that continue to work without a lot of small parts in the forend, and a Beretta trigger. What's to go wrong that can't be fixed or use, abuse, and throw away the gun when you are through at the price I paid. Lee. {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

I bought one of these STS Competition guns (12 gauge / 30 inch barrels) awhile back and have really enjoy shooting it. Fit and finish is very good and so far so good as I have had zero issues with the gun. I certainly would have not paid the original asking price of $2,500; but I picked mine up just under $1,000 when they were discontinued by Remington. A fine Italian made target O/U at the price was hard to pass up. No regrets here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:08 am 
Field Grade

My STS now has approx. 7000 skeet rounds through it both 28 ga. tubes and 12ga. with no problems at all. Plating is coming off the breech but so what. With heavy use the plating comes off all of the other makers as well. Just a little sooner on the these. Great gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Sts has approx 5500 rounds through it.No problems at all except one.Took a look at the maxus sporting 30 inch walnut and I was hooked.Trading the sts in and picking up the maxus next week when it comes in :)

Post subject: Re: re: Remington STS Competition 12ga O/U (Opinions please)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

crazyquik wrote:
Air Force 1 wrote:

AF1

How would you compare it to your 686 WOS?

IMHO, in no way comparable to the 686 WOS which has proven itself!