ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who likes Light Modified?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2few: Us Louisiana coona$$es go to Texas at least once a month to teach those all hat no cattle boys a lesson or two. 8)

It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. :wink:

When Nationals was in September , we'd wrap up the clays , drive about 6-7 miles down the road and bring in a limit of doves. Then we'd retire to a watering hole to disect the day's shooting over adult beverages. {hs#

I like the weather better now that they've moved the shoot back to late October , but do miss the dove shooting part.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sera wrote:
2few: Us Louisiana coona$$es go to Texas at least once a month to teach those all hat no cattle boys a lesson or two. 8)

It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. :wink:

You the one teachin' them to keep shooting them after they are already falling?

sera wrote:
When Nationals was in September , we'd wrap up the clays , drive about 6-7 miles down the road and bring in a limit of doves. Then we'd retire to a watering hole to disect the day's shooting over adult beverages. {hs#

Now that sounds like a civilized day! :D

sera wrote:
I like the weather better now that they've moved the shoot back to late October , but do miss the dove shooting part.

Still good Dove shooting to be had in October. I head to San Antonio in mid October every year. Always have good shooting. :D

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nationals is now the last week of October....and you just don't see the squadrons of doves like you do in September. :D Sometimes when we shot Fitasc we'd have to let 100 birds go by before calling "pull."

I really can't think of any reason to shoot a dove more than once....guy must have been brain-addled to shoot 4-5 times. :?

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That sounds like some pretty amazing dove numbers! :D I surely do love dove hunting! :D

sera wrote:
I really can't think of any reason to shoot a dove more than once....guy must have been brain-addled to shoot 4-5 times.

Yup I couldn't figure it out. He and a couple of buddies pulled into the field about 5 pm, got set up and a few minutes later a single dove heads straight for this fella. He shoots and the bird crumples. And he keeps shooting as the bird falls. Empties his gun. And hits it 2 or 3 more times judging from the feathers flying off it. Pretty darned strange I thought!

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:45 am 
Field Grade

Trickster wrote:
LM is for girls and people who can't make decisions. :wink:

Modified is a proper choke. Blitzes everything from 25 - 70yds. Seriously, it's the only choke you need.

Stick it in and forget about chokes for ever!

Crown Grade? I thought that read Clown Grade based on your first sentence. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

BellaDog wrote:
Trickster wrote:

Modified is a proper choke. Blitzes everything from 25 - 70yds. Seriously, it's the only choke you need.

Crown Grade? I thought that read Clown Grade based on your first sentence. :lol:

Way to set him straight a mere 9 years later. :? :? :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:59 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
BellaDog wrote:
Trickster wrote:

Way to set him straight a mere 9 years later. :? :? :?

Exactly! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
SuperXOne wrote:

After about twenty five years of shooting a whole lot of clay targets and a few birds on the wing, my vote goes to a 12 gauge shotgun choked about .015 thousands constriction, otherwise known as Skeet 2 or Light Modified

It doesn't sound like you are a trap shooter, a skeet shooter, a turkey hunter, or a wild pheasant hunter.

Hi,

It works just fine if your a quick reacting trap shooter, slow skeet shooter, better than most with a turkey call, and a far as pheasants go, does that mean I need to put back all the wild roosters I've killed with a SK2 choke?

Though to be honest, I find Lt Mod a bit tight for grouse in northern Minnesota, I prefer Sk or IC at most for that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, .15-ish is pretty tough on woodcock and ruffed grouse ahead of a pointing dog, even with 7 1/2s but, yes, not a bad constriction that might deliver a nice pattern.

Actually, it is not a bad constriction, ahead of a pointing dog again, for pheasants...even wild birds can be stepped upon after a snow or are found to be holding tight in many types of cover.

Kudos to skeet in, generally.

*I understand that "choke" is delivered by a range in constriction values correctly patterned but I would suspect that the changes in shotshells has pushed IC to a different potential today...same for LM.
A top of the cap to the Figure 8 and it's friends.

Last edited by Multiflora on Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:57 pm 
Crown Grade

"Light Modified is best"
I totally agree, sometimes & maybe. Don't get offended if you are one of those Dudes that always holler "Pull" before you shoot. If that is your gig, go for it but there is a whole other world out there. The traditional Southern quail gun was a SXS with 26 bbls. choked I.C. & MOD.. If you were shooting a jamomatic, it was likely IC. Actually, IC will work fine in Ber Rabbits briar patch where it is shoot fast or the bird is gone. There is no "right" choke for every shot & you can't know what that will be unless it is scripted before hand. They are all a compromise. I have always been a firm believer in carrying different loads in case I ran into different field conditions while hunting, not to mention different game. Especially with waterfowl hunting. Choke tubes are the greatest shotgun advancement in my lifetime. The same choke that is right over a pointer ain't likely to work well pass shooting Canada geese & there are numerous flavors inbetween. Now factor into the equation, six or more types of shot & tell me again which choke is right for everything! When I am expecting shots out to 40 yds., I am usually carrying something choked close to FULL & MOD. Closer shooting gets faster handling guns & more open chokes. Fortunately, chokes work over a range of distances. It is not an exact science. We just have to choose wisely.
BTW, I am drooling over the thought of going to Texas to shoot doves!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

I made the change to a over and under cause I wanted to have the ability to shoot two different chokes, after 8 years of shooting my A400 xcel and using nothing but a Muller U2, I've now resided to muller U2's .12 each, they are perfect.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:02 am 
Presentation Grade

Light Modified is great. Improved Modified is more better :) It is Improved.

Years ago there was an article posted that had the photo below. If anyone can find a link to that, I'd appreciate it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am 
Field Grade

Hal4son, that picture is straight off of page 59 of the February 2010 Shooting Times magazine. Article by the field editor Terry Wieland called: "Get your head in the clouds." The pattern boards were furnished by Gil and Vicki Ash, whom contributed heavily to the article.

Here is link to article: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial ... 1002/99884

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

gdub41 wrote:
I made the change to a over and under cause I wanted to have the ability to shoot two different chokes, after 8 years of shooting my A400 xcel and using nothing but a Muller U2, I've now resided to muller U2's .12 each, they are perfect.

Muller U2s are my jam {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:22 pm 
Crown Grade

This is a little off the subject but since we are telling sea stories, that reminds me of a deer drive one cold December day. They put me on a stand at the edge of a soy bean field. About 5 min. later I heard a hound yip twice & the biggest buck I ever killed busted out in the field. He never had a chance, at about 35 yds. I put the entire 12 "OO" buckshot from a 2 3/4" short mag. load in his heart /lung area. Some standers on the other side of the field wandered over & one fella called Junior-buckart asked, " How many times did ya shoot that dare? Me, "One time". Buckart, "I heard more than one shot, how many times did ya shoot." So here comes the driver (dog driver), a fella known as Pin Head. Pin head says, "He just shot once". Buckart was shootin' his A5 Browning. Buckart says, "Dam if I shot one time & a dare fell dead, I wouldn't know what to do, why I'd have ta shoot the other 4 shells up in the air out of frustration!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:32 pm 
Field Grade

geometric wrote:
Buckart was shootin' his A5 Browning. Buckart says, "Dam if I shot one time & a dare fell dead, I wouldn't know what to do, why I'd have ta shoot the other 4 shells up in the air out of frustration!"

Now that's funny :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

For me, I screw in a modified tube and leave it there. Except for turkey. But I'm a hunter, not a clay shooter. From doves to pheasants to ducks to geese. I've tried using more open chokes and they work fine till you get the bird that's out there a bit and I think, hmmmm, wish I had my modified tube in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:36 pm 
Limited Edition

I use LM for about 99% of my sporting clays stuff, and (shockingly) skeet tubes for, well, skeet.

But I'm just a nobody who's pretty new to sporting clays.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperXOne wrote:
We've all debated on this board the various pros and cons of various chokes, but let's say we have a fixed single barrel shotgun. What's the best compromise choke that gun?

After about twenty five years of shooting a whole lot of clay targets and a few birds on the wing, my vote goes to a 12 gauge shotgun choked about .015 thousands constriction, otherwise known as Skeet 2 or Light Modified.

Feed such a gun#8's or #9's and it's a skeet gun. Give it 7 1/2's and it shoots trap and sporting clays. With #6 pheasant loads it works for pheasants. Or you could just shoot 7 1/2's at everything and be done with it.

The makers have pretty well settled long ago on Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full chokes being the standards, and Light Modified is usually an "extra" choke or something you have done to your old fixed choke barrel. If I can't have Light Modified, I want Improved Cylinder (.010 constriction). If I can't have that I want Modified (.020), and if not that I'll shoot the full choke and learn to like it or have it reamed out to Light Modified.

We've all read about how each choke and each load is different, and only the patterns on the plate count, and then we go right out and shoot what we have. I've found that most light modified chokes shoot about the same pattern as any other light modified tube or barrel, and they don't vary a whole lot. Also, I think that a light modified is more able to shoot wide patterns with smaller shot and tighter patterns with larget shot than any other choke constriction.

Add to all this that the barrel makers seem to have all agreed years ago that .015 constriction is as tight as an older fixed barrel gun should be and shoot steel shot, and the case for the light modified for a single barrel gun is closed.

Make mine light modified,,,,if it's convenient.

Otherwise I'll shoot whatever is handy.:)

Who else likes (or doesn't like) a light modified choke to shoot everything with?

When I wrote this eight years ago, I went on to discover, thanks to Rod Gates of Jordan, Missouri, that if you can find an excellent gunsmith to hand ream a 12 gauge choke down to about 12-3 thousands of constriction,,,,

It’s even better than 15 thousands.

The reason is, the 21-35 yard pattern is more open, and it makes a better bird and skeet gun, and the patterns from 35-60 yards remain about the same.

Eventually I’ll commission Gates to ream what he calls a Gates Choke, or tight improved cylinder, and I call Improved Cylinder Plus, into all my old smokepoles factory choked tighter than IC.

But that’s a tall order, even for Gates.:)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:54 am 
Tournament Grade

Love it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next