ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Retay Masai Mara thoughts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Not sure what that means, this is a backup of the Retay I use in the field, gun goes bang and hits where you want it to, not sure anything else is to be expected. Legit co, producing it and just because they haven't penetrated the market as deep as others, doesn't mean anything to me. I am into equipment which works, gun is legit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was just curious as to why you'd be selling a NIB gun without ever using it. Glad to hear that you're happy with your primary Retay. I'm not one who views the Retay as a cheap Turkish knockoff of the, IMO, overpriced and over-rated Benelli. To the contrary, Retay strikes me as well made and of good quality. I prefer gas autoloaders, but if I wanted an inertia gun it would be a Retay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been very impressed with my Retay Masai Mara. I bought the walnut stocked 'satin' version and it is a beautiful shotgun with a super smooth action, a great trigger, and the build quality (machining, fitting, etc.) is at least the equal of any semi-auto I have owned, including Benelli.

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:13 am 
Utility Grade

I'm loving my masai mara 12ga so far. It is so easy to disassemble and the finishing on the bolt carrier group and internals is great. My only gripe is the stock recoil pad is terrible and is harder than a shoe sole. I just put a limbsaver airtech on it and it's perfect now. The limbsaver is a 95% match to the stock but the holes don't align so it takes a little modding to make it work but it is the best upgrade! Shooting 3.5" shells feel like nothing now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Picked up my 20 gauge 26” Masai Mara Walnut today and shot 100 rounds of sporting clays. Love it, no FTF/FTE. Finish is well done, balance is excellent, felt accurate and comfortable. Trigger felt smooth without excessive creep but I didn’t measure it. The wood quality is quite good, the controls are simple/easy/functional and I really like the matte black receiver. The breakdown is easy and user-friendly. Still very early, but I really like it. Felt very similar to my friend’s M2. Look forward to hearing what other people find as they start using it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:56 am 
Utility Grade

JRR2255 wrote:
Picked up my 20 gauge 26” Masai Mara Walnut today and shot 100 rounds of sporting clays. Love it, no FTF/FTE. Finish is well done, balance is excellent, felt accurate and comfortable. Trigger felt smooth without excessive creep but I didn’t measure it. The wood quality is quite good, the controls are simple/easy/functional and I really like the matte black receiver. The breakdown is easy and user-friendly. Still very early, but I really like it. Felt very similar to my friend’s M2. Look forward to hearing what other people find as they start using it.
Where did you find the 20 for sale? Everywhere I look is sold out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:41 am 
Utility Grade

I bought mine at Molly’s Firearms in Kennedyville, MD and they were excellent. Vizards also has them. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

JRR2255 wrote:

If you have the capability, it would be great to find out what is the actual weight of yours. Going have one to handle in this area shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:13 pm 
Field Grade

I just got set up as a dealer... I have two 20ga's ordered as well as two air kings. Looking forward to seeing them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Air King looks like a good waterfowl gun, especially for the list prices of from $1099 for 3" 12ga black synthetic to $1399 for 3½" camo. If they're worth their salt, they'll get some market share. Not everybody is addicted to Benelli kool-aid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:59 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
JRR2255 wrote:

If you have the capability, it would be great to find out what is the actual weight of yours. Going have one to handle in this area shortly.

It is 6-1/4 lbs. for a 26 inch barrel / synthetic.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
oyeme wrote:
JRR2255 wrote:

It is 6-1/4 lbs. for a 26 inch barrel / synthetic.

Thanks Randy for that, but I was interested in the weight of the walnut model. Also, as you have warned us in the past, actual gun weight VS advertised weights can vary substantially.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The walnut model is similar. You can call Retay USA and they will weigh one for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:41 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

JRR2255 wrote:
Picked up my 20 gauge 26” Masai Mara Walnut today and shot 100 rounds of sporting clays. Love it, no FTF/FTE. Finish is well done, balance is excellent, felt accurate and comfortable. Trigger felt smooth without excessive creep but I didn’t measure it. The wood quality is quite good, the controls are simple/easy/functional and I really like the matte black receiver. The breakdown is easy and user-friendly. Still very early, but I really like it.

The trigger on mine (Realtree Timber) is quite good: it breaks right at 4 lbs. as measured by calibrated electronic gauge, with very little take-up, no grit, and a crisp, clean break.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:13 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks Randy for all of your information on the Retay. Always value your opinions and advice. Getting rid of the Benelli click is a huge improvement in my opinion. I’m a duck hunter and bought a synthetic Montefeltro last year. Had serious issues with the Benelli click. Several birds ready to shoot only to hear a click. Sent it back to Benelli twice right away. They said they did something to the lifter the first time and did something else the second time but essentially blamed me for knocking the gun too hard or not letting the bolt release hard. And they still did not fix the Benelli click problem or even acknowlege it is a problem. I’m a 40 year shotgun user/duck hunter currently own 14 shotguns and have owned several others. If I have a problem with the Benelli click then its a problem with the gun. The gun should work for its intended purpose, expected hunting situations. I ultimately upgraded the recoil spring with a Wolf plus .25 spring and the problem was solved. Why Benelli sells shotguns with a known defect that it can easily fix, and then blame its customer for the problem, says a lot about Benelli as a company. So, I will never buy another Benelli. I would have considered the M2 20 gauge. The Retay 20 gauge may be the answer for me. My only hesitation is customer service and product support, including warranty. Is Briley doing all of that for Retay it in the US?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DuckWhisperer wrote:
Thanks Randy for all of your information on the Retay. Always value your opinions and advice. Getting rid of the Benelli click is a huge improvement in my opinion. I’m a duck hunter and bought a synthetic Montefeltro last year. Had serious issues with the Benelli click. Several birds ready to shoot only to hear a click. Sent it back to Benelli twice right away. They said they did something to the lifter the first time and did something else the second time but essentially blamed me for knocking the gun too hard or not letting the bolt release hard. And they still did not fix the Benelli click problem or even acknowlege it is a problem. I’m a 40 year shotgun user/duck hunter currently own 14 shotguns and have owned several others. If I have a problem with the Benelli click then its a problem with the gun. The gun should work for its intended purpose, expected hunting situations. I ultimately upgraded the recoil spring with a Wolf plus .25 spring and the problem was solved. Why Benelli sells shotguns with a known defect that it can easily fix, and then blame its customer for the problem, says a lot about Benelli as a company. So, I will never buy another Benelli. I would have considered the M2 20 gauge. The Retay 20 gauge may be the answer for me. My only hesitation is customer service and product support, including warranty. Is Briley doing all of that for Retay it in the US?

Yes, all Retay USA semi-autos have a 5 year written warranty backed by Briley. A while back I called Briley and spoke with Leah, asking how much warranty service they have done with Retay product over the last few years. She told me that they get one or two guns back per year, and rarely hear about anything that needs looking at. The only complaint I've read was here: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... &start=120 where one fellow found a creased cylinder choke on his new MM 20 and also didn't like the charging handle. Retay USA handled that directly, shipping out the parts the next day and that was that. That's the only incident I've heard of and it was handled quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Randy said, "Retay USA handled that directly, shipping out the parts the next day and that was that. That's the only incident I've heard of and it was handled quickly."

That is by definition what good service after the sale is supposed to be. It is excellent news because it will put others in the same business on notice that they are slacking in the CS department. Ultimately that may benefit all consumers with CS from several companies like CG/FABARM and others going the extra mile and putting pressure on those that don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DuckWhisperer wrote:
Thanks Randy for all of your information on the Retay. Always value your opinions and advice. Getting rid of the Benelli click is a huge improvement in my opinion. I’m a duck hunter and bought a synthetic Montefeltro last year. Had serious issues with the Benelli click. Several birds ready to shoot only to hear a click. Sent it back to Benelli twice right away. They said they did something to the lifter the first time and did something else the second time but essentially blamed me for knocking the gun too hard or not letting the bolt release hard. And they still did not fix the Benelli click problem or even acknowlege it is a problem. I’m a 40 year shotgun user/duck hunter currently own 14 shotguns and have owned several others.

"Benelli" hasn't been an independent company since 1983, when the them-struggling Benelli was acquired by Beretta Holding. It has been a brand name ever since, one of the twenty-eight or so brands owned and controlled by Beretta Holding. Some feel the "Benelli click" is a problem, the same with the "Benelli thumb," others do not. In the 37 years that Beretta has had Benelli, it has been ignored in their mainstream shotguns, the now-Spanish made Montefeltro, M2's, and so forth. So it goes with Stoeger, Franchi, and the 25 or so other inertia action clones and attempts, including the 'new' Browning A5. It was also the case with the first Retay I ever tested, back in 2017.

The inertia plus bolt was invented by Retay, the patent application was filed 6/7/2017, and United States Patent 9995542 was granted to Retay on June 12, 2018. All Retay USA semi autos have the inertia plus action: the original 3 inch Masai Mara, the 3-1/2 inch Masai Mara, the 3 inch Gordion, and now the latest, their first 20 gauge, the 20 gauge Masai Mara. All Retay USA semi-autos have it, from the most inexpensive basic black Gordion (MRSP $799) on up.

All Retay shotguns have easy loading, the Waterfowl / synthetic models have speed unloading, and all have machined alloy trigger groups. The Masai Mara has a push-button quick detachable trigger group and other goodies as well, but the "Inertia Plus" action is fundamentally what makes them a giant leap forward compared to the rest of the pack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7