ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leap of Faith - Dickinson Royal O/U Sidelock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

So I’ve been looking at those higher end Dickinson sidelock shotguns on mark down over at CDNN. After hemming and hawing I finally pulled the trigger on a 20 gage Royal O/U with 30 inch barrels since I’m not much of a s x s guy. I plan to use it for pheasants and fun sporting clay rounds. Gun should be at my FFL next week.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/dickinson-ol ... l?___SID=U
The discount is real since Pacific Sporting is carrying this same gun in stock now for $4495.

I’ve only looked at and handled the AKUS made side by sides so I really don’t know exactly what I’ll be getting and there’s not much out on the web review wise for the Royal O/U model. I’m hoping the generally good reviews the AKUS made s x s guns have carry over to the side lock O/U. Hopefully the thin wall chokes means the barrels are a bit thinner and lively. Lifetime warranty helps but with small companies who knows how long they will be in business. I plan to get some replacement main V springs and firing pins right away in case parts are an issue in the future and see about a skeet choke. That should take care of my needs as a hunting gun or casual target gun.

Anyone else handled, shot, or have one? Curious as to your opinion.

Post subject: Re: Leap of Faith - Dickinson Royal O/U Sidelock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks like a terrific gun and heavy enough that it should not be a problem shooting targets. Please post pictures after you get it. It comes with a cylinder and IC choke tubes which I think would be perfect for skeet. I would be inclined to test those before buying any choke tubes, but it's your money. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That looks like a real nice gun, especially at that price. Let us know how it shoots and how you like it. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

I called Dickinson before buying this to get the standard stock dimensions and weight as the 7.5 lbs listed seemed heavy which is for the 12 gage. While you can get custom stock dimensions, the standard dimensions are supposed to be 14 5/8 LOP, 1 1/2 comb by 2 3/4 heel with weight at 6.75 lbs for the 20 gage. Butt is only checkered but that’s ok as I’ll need around a 15 in lop so can get an appropriate thickness pad. I’ll have it cut flat at the right pitch and put on the pad when ready. I’ll just use one of my leather slip on extenders at first to see how that feels. I asked the service rep. at CDNN to pick me a nice one with great wood since they work on commission and after the initial call I asked for the same guy on the second call to buy it but who knows. I steered the sale to him so maybe he will return the favor. Now the wait sets in. Both for the gun to arrive and the snow to leave to get out for some clays. Another 10-12 inches this weekend projected. Uggg. At least it will get here before my birthday and I should be able to get out near the end of March.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Man o’ man, this is exciting. I was looking at these very same sidelocks, but in the SxS option. Noticed they only had single trigger models available, so I didn’t purchase. The O/U look real nice too! I haven’t held a Dickinson sidelock, but have held a smith and Wesson AKUS made O/U and they were very well built in my opinion. I think you might have the steal of the century on your hands! I can also appreciate the fact that you’re throwing caution in wind and buying a gun you’ve never seen or held. Does CDNN have an inspection period?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

No inspection period since this is a new gun. If damaged in shipping I could reject it and not accept transfer but not if I don’t like it. I’ll see what I get!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

Talked to a gunsmith at the deer and turkey classic at St. Paul about a leather wrapped pad and he suggested getting some ejecters if parts might be an issue in the future. He said he’s having trouble sourcing ejectors for JP made Winchester 101s and even some JP SKBs to repair high school kids trap guns that he often sees since the surge in youth shooting at the high school level. Cost to make them is too prohibitive for most, so some guns that came in went back out unrepaired. He said most firing pins are easy to make so don’t worry much bout that. After I get the gun and shoot, it I’ll call up Dickinson and seem what an overhaul package of spare parts will cost. This looks like a gun I will want to pass along after I’m gone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 am 
Limited Edition

Wow!! I sure don't need one, but that is Purty , I hope it shoots as Good as it Looks. :D .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 am 
Crown Grade

Here are a few pictures of the Royal O/U compared to my Verona LX 692. Both are 20 gages with 30 inch barrels. The Royal uses the typical Rizzini action so this seem to be a good comparison. The Royal is charcoal and bone hardened and uses thin wall chokes. More on weights etc. later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

At lunch so I can give my static impressions as the snow still deep here and sporting clays course still closed. At $2,900 I’m satisfied with this purchase. At full price of $4,500 I don’t think I would have bought it. Part of that opinion is driven by the wood I got and the case that comes with it.

Stock
The Royal dimensions are 14 5/8 lop, 1 3/8 DAC, an 2 1/8 DAH. The FAIR Verona is 14 3/8 LOP, 1 3/8 DAC, 2 1/8 DAH. The wood on the Royal is very nice for what I paid, I would not like it as much on a $4,500 gun. There is nicer figured wood on the one at Pacific Sporting. That said, the grain is perfectly filled and has a low luster oil finish. They took time to get the finish nice and I’ve put mirror finishes on stocks so know what it takes.

http://www.pacificsportingarmseast.com/ ... 0GA-30-767

Weights
The Royal come in at 7 lbs 2.4 oz. Barrels 2 lbs 14.8 oz. Forearm 9.9 oz. Receiver 3 lbs 10.2 oz. Choke Tube 0.3 oz. Balance right at hinge pin. The Verona weighs 6 lbs 13.4oz. Barrels 2 lbs 14 oz. Forearm 11.1 oz. Receiver 3 lbs 4.2 oz. Choke tube 0.6 oz. Balance 1/2 inch in front of hinge pin. The Royal barrel od was .720 in and choke tube was .659 in. The Verona barrel od was .770 in and .680.

I was surprised the Royal weighs more as it feels more lively and has a much slimmer forend. The weight is more between the hands. Chokes and forearm weigh less moving weight distribution back and the stock/receiver weighs more than the Verona. I think I’ll like this on game.

Trigger
Clear winner in the Royal but it’s nonselective. Safety is up down only. Very little take up and no creep with a crisp release. I don’t have a trigger gage but it was no where close to holding weight of the gun. Verona has a fair bit of take up and creep through the sear before it lets go.

Case
The Royal come well coated in protectant in plastic bags, in cloth socks, that are in bubble wrap bags. The case is imitation suede and leather with a soft inside. I’d be well pleased on a 1,500 dollar gun but felt it was a bit lackluster on a 4.5 k gun. Good for range duty and keeping scratch’s off with the soft insides.

Chokes
The thin wall chokes were very hard to remove at first. My normal cleaning is to run clenzoil through the bores to protect them. With the oil the wrench just spun. Degreasing everything I was able to just get them to turn out. They and the barrel threads were bone dry even though everything else coated in protectant. I applied grease to barrel threads and chokes threads and tube and put bakck in. The still went in slow and you can’t just free turn them with a finger tip. Not sure if work easier over time. Choke case was serialized to the gun so not sure if they work them specific to each gun.

I hope to get out shooting soon to see how that goes.

Last edited by Patently Obvious on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:40 am 
Crown Grade

Took the locks out last night. Here is a picture resting inside the gun case with a bit of the barrel sock showing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:04 am 
Crown Grade

Nice clean workmanship on the locks and the rest of the gun. I think you did very well indeed! IMO, at that weight it should be fine for shooting clays also.
Good luck shooting it. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Royal is not a Rizzini action since it has true sidelocks. Your Verona was made by one of the Rizzini families - F.A.I.R. They look very close from the side because the LX692 boxlock has false sideplates, just as does my own LX702 Verona trap. All three are nice guns but the Verona fore end can suffer from broken small wood screws holding the metal to the wood. The Royal has a "button" through the wood behind the release lever added for extra support on recoil hopefully to reduce the chance of breaking the metal free from the wood. Turkey is replacing Spain for decent guns that don't cost half a years income and I think you got a real nice gun for the money.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:12 am 
Crown Grade

Leftie I like my Verona FAIR guns and have the LX702 too. Picked it up new in box unsold for more than 10 years at a gun shop in southern MN. The LX692 is a 20 28 gage combo I got at a very good price. Then there’s a Br110 b rizzini too in 28 gage. Rizzini are undervalued here so usually less than a b gun and you get more bling. Down to one Browning O/U now. Chemical case coloring doesn’t hold a candle to the bone and charcoal though once you see it new.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Good news and bad news. I was able to get out on Sunday for some sporting clays. No one was able to go, so I set up the traps for delay and shot low gun with the controller in my pocket at each station. I really like the way the gun handled and recoil was no issue with 7/8 ounce loads. So that was the good news. Bad news was about a 50% failure to fire rate on top barrel due to light primer strikes. Moved the dented shell to the lower barrel and each time it would fire. Called Dickinson today and the gun is packed up ready to be sent in for warranty repair. Bummer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Gun is on its way to Oregon and Dickinson paid for the return freight. Thanks! UPS would not accept delivery at its UPS Store so I had to drive it to a customer center at one of their distribution warehouses slowing up the process.

In the meantime, I see CDNN is auctioning off some of this inventory. A 12 gage went for $2125 for a nice savings from the regular $2800 price. I liked the 12 gage wood better than mine. Listing noted it was the actual gun and not mfg stock photos.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/80611681 ... ding%204-7

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

I received the gun back last night with a work order that said fixed under warranty and no other clarification on what was done. Given that it took 10 work days in transit back and forth with UPS, I’d say the service was prompt and timely. I did notice now that both firing pins are flush with the receiver face. I plan to call the gunsmith later today at the number on the work order and ask what was changed. Likely not be until later in the week before I get a chance to get out and shoot it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks for update. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:12 am 
Crown Grade

Thought I’d close the loop on this. The fix was pretty simple. Smith basically filed a bit of metal off the back of the stop block for the hammer so the firing pin can extend farther from the breach face. You can see the stop block in the lock pic above with the hammer resting on it. I did take it out and gun worked much better. Still had one FTF but that’s running Herters old target shells. I’ll wait to see if other shells are a problem before taking any other measures and will want to fire some game loads on pheasants too. It’s a nice gun. Pick one up if so inclined. CDNN still has a few on clearance. Both 12 and 20 gages.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Another 50 at sporting clays on Sunday shooting low gun to transition to hunting season. No issues with Remington guns clubs and I shot well on a fairly easy set up through the woods. I really enjoy the handling of this gun. Looking forward to my pheasant hunt in SD with this and my dog Chaser.