ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27050
Location: Plainfield, IL
4th. down wrote:
34 grms. is a heavy load for a 6 1/4 lb. shotgun.


The 26 inch L4S weighs 6-3/4 lbs.



_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:07 pm
Posts: 2326
RandyWakeman wrote:
4th. down wrote:
34 grms. is a heavy load for a 6 1/4 lb. shotgun.


The 26 inch L4S weighs 6-3/4 lbs.[/quote

You're right Randy, 6.5 oz. to 6.13 oz, depending on wood density:

https://fabarmusa.com/l4s-initial-hunter/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27050
Location: Plainfield, IL
There is no real answer. 34 grams is 1.19931 oz., less than the common and classic American hunting load of 1-1/4 oz. Whether that is a heavy load or not is whatever some chooses to call it. It is a heavy dove load, but hardly heavy for wild pheasant or even pigeon. What some might call a stiff load in a fixed breech shotgun isn't at all heavy for a gas auto.

The "wood density" myth is something I've heard of for years, but have never witnessed. With multiple examples of Browning / Beretta etc. etc. walnut stocked guns, I've never seen a difference of more an ounce.

The same goes with the L4S. I own two, have tested many, and shot even more. In the case of L4S Initial Hunters, Grey Hunters, and Deluxe Hunters with 26 inch barrels, they have all been right at 6-3/4 lbs.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 pm
Posts: 17
I just did a brief pattern of my (new to me) 26" L4s hunter. I got a great deal from BruceRide (A+ guy) on one with 13 1/2" LOP which fits me well. I shoot pheasants in southern Wi.

It's about half a pound heavier than my 30" Ithaca Model 37 but is less muzzle heavy so at 6 3/4 pounds it's nice to carry. First day out with the new gun the dog manages to cut his foreleg up pretty good and we returned immediately for 5 stitches. He's fine except he's begging to get back out there and he need another week to heal up completely. He's reckless in pursuit of a bird in the brush.

Because of club rules and time restrictions I was limited in my pattern testing today at 50 yards (farther than I would take a shot) but I found
1. It shoots where I look, I am very pleased. Perhaps a hair low but that could be my mount.
2. Fiocci Golden Pheasant- I had not lit any of these off before. The F4s soaks it up just fine. I would not care to put one of those through my Model 37 as it's vintage 1946 and has a hard rubber butt pad.
3. Regular ol Herter's No.5 1220 fps grouped very evenly and was very light on the shoulder. It's what I have been using but it's clearly dated and time to upgrade now that I have a gun that can handle it without making my shoulder purple.
4. No. 5 and No. 9 chokes appeared to group roughly the same with a nod to the No.9 but a clear reminder that 50 yards way far out there. Proper patterning should be done when I get organized.

It's a beauty. I like the Hunter because it's clearly got superior quality in the machined parts, the wood is nice enough yet it's not so dear that I would not take it in to the rough.

We'll get out next week and beat the bushes for more birds.

**Update- good dog flushed a snow pheasant and I was startled and took a bad first shot, then the L4s forearm would not pump a new shell in to the chamber for 2 or 3 seconds until I recalled that ... it's an automatic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:18 am 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Hello, it happened to me a couple of times with the Fabarm. The fact is that when I shoot the first cartridge it jams because the third cartridge comes out of the ammunition deposit, trapping the second cartridge which is the cartridge that should be raised by the elevator and dragged to the chamber. I have thought that I have been able to cause the interruption by pressing the button that works with "kick off" without realizing what the normal automation cycle occurs and the cartridge in the warehouse catches the one that was in the elevator causing the interruption . I don't know if I have explained myself.

_________________
Benelli SL121 12 ga
Fabarm L4S IH12 ga
Erbi LIG 12 ga
Kromson F.O 32 D' Or
Arturo Fernandez 16 ga
AyA 106 20 ga


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:07 pm
Posts: 2326
Tiguan16 wrote:
Hello, it happened to me a couple of times with the Fabarm. The fact is that when I shoot the first cartridge it jams because the third cartridge comes out of the ammunition deposit, trapping the second cartridge which is the cartridge that should be raised by the elevator and dragged to the chamber. I have thought that I have been able to cause the interruption by pressing the button that works with "kick off" without realizing what the normal automation cycle occurs and the cartridge in the warehouse catches the one that was in the elevator causing the interruption . I don't know if I have explained myself.


Yes it can happen. The bolt is probably not coming all the way rearward to release the spent hull from the ejector port. Now, what can cause that.....gun is not clean or the action parts are not lubed with CLP, Slick 2000, Safari Charlie, etc. or light loads and low velocities or the gas piston is not moving freely up and down the mag. tube or the 2 gas ports in the muzzle are clogged or maybe just one of them. Frustrating, I know, but try and look in these areas to solve the problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:36 am 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Hi, thank you for you answer. I usually clean the shotgun after each hunting day and then lubricate it properly. My problem, I think, occurred when I activated the button that, when pressed, extracts a cartridge from the ammunition deposit and remains on the elevator. This system allows the cartridge to be manually extracted from the chamber by activating the carriage and if we activate the carriage a second time, the carriage, the cartridge that remains on the elevator goes up to the chamber. I imagine that this system allows you to have a cartridge of different weights that you carry in the warehouse if the piece to be knocked down is larger or the shooting distance is greater or less. The problem comes for example if when facing the weapon you press this button and shoot. Here the mechanism works differently. But there is an obstacle, the cartridge that was removed when the button was pressed. When the cartridge that remains in the ammunition store is fired, it comes out meeting the cartridge that remained in the elevator and then the interruption occurs. The shell of the fired cartridge comes out perfectly but no cartridge rises to the chamber and I had to use a knife to eliminate the interruption. The next hunting day I will force the interruption. Thank you.

_________________
Benelli SL121 12 ga
Fabarm L4S IH12 ga
Erbi LIG 12 ga
Kromson F.O 32 D' Or
Arturo Fernandez 16 ga
AyA 106 20 ga


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinión sobre Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:41 am 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Sorry for my English. I use Google translator.

_________________
Benelli SL121 12 ga
Fabarm L4S IH12 ga
Erbi LIG 12 ga
Kromson F.O 32 D' Or
Arturo Fernandez 16 ga
AyA 106 20 ga


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:13 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:07 pm
Posts: 2326
Tiguan16 wrote:
Hi, thank you for you answer. I usually clean the shotgun after each hunting day and then lubricate it properly. My problem, I think, occurred when I activated the button that, when pressed, extracts a cartridge from the ammunition deposit and remains on the elevator. This system allows the cartridge to be manually extracted from the chamber by activating the carriage and if we activate the carriage a second time, the carriage, the cartridge that remains on the elevator goes up to the chamber. I imagine that this system allows you to have a cartridge of different weights that you carry in the warehouse if the piece to be knocked down is larger or the shooting distance is greater or less. The problem comes for example if when facing the weapon you press this button and shoot. Here the mechanism works differently. But there is an obstacle, the cartridge that was removed when the button was pressed. When the cartridge that remains in the ammunition store is fired, it comes out meeting the cartridge that remained in the elevator and then the interruption occurs. The shell of the fired cartridge comes out perfectly but no cartridge rises to the chamber and I had to use a knife to eliminate the interruption. The next hunting day I will force the interruption. Thank you.


Tiguan, Andrew (lead gunsmith for Fabarm) at the US Nationals told me NOT to press the button to upload a shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate. The gun is designed to cycle properly without manually moving that shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate so that the lifter can then move it up into the chamber when the gun was fired on the preceding shell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:41 pm 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Madrid (Spain)
4th. down wrote:
Tiguan16 wrote:
Hi, thank you for you answer. I usually clean the shotgun after each hunting day and then lubricate it properly. My problem, I think, occurred when I activated the button that, when pressed, extracts a cartridge from the ammunition deposit and remains on the elevator. This system allows the cartridge to be manually extracted from the chamber by activating the carriage and if we activate the carriage a second time, the carriage, the cartridge that remains on the elevator goes up to the chamber. I imagine that this system allows you to have a cartridge of different weights that you carry in the warehouse if the piece to be knocked down is larger or the shooting distance is greater or less. The problem comes for example if when facing the weapon you press this button and shoot. Here the mechanism works differently. But there is an obstacle, the cartridge that was removed when the button was pressed. When the cartridge that remains in the ammunition store is fired, it comes out meeting the cartridge that remained in the elevator and then the interruption occurs. The shell of the fired cartridge comes out perfectly but no cartridge rises to the chamber and I had to use a knife to eliminate the interruption. The next hunting day I will force the interruption. Thank you.


Tiguan, Andrew (lead gunsmith for Fabarm) at the US Nationals told me NOT to press the button to upload a shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate. The gun is designed to cycle properly without manually moving that shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate so that the lifter can then move it up into the chamber when the gun was fired on the preceding shell.



Thanks for your reply. What would then be the function of that button?

_________________
Benelli SL121 12 ga
Fabarm L4S IH12 ga
Erbi LIG 12 ga
Kromson F.O 32 D' Or
Arturo Fernandez 16 ga
AyA 106 20 ga


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27050
Location: Plainfield, IL
Tiguan16 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. What would then be the function of that button?


To hold the bolt open.

https://fabarmusa.com/wp-content/upload ... manual.pdf

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:26 pm
Posts: 378
4th. down wrote:
Tiguan16 wrote:
Hi, thank you for you answer. I usually clean the shotgun after each hunting day and then lubricate it properly. My problem, I think, occurred when I activated the button that, when pressed, extracts a cartridge from the ammunition deposit and remains on the elevator. This system allows the cartridge to be manually extracted from the chamber by activating the carriage and if we activate the carriage a second time, the carriage, the cartridge that remains on the elevator goes up to the chamber. I imagine that this system allows you to have a cartridge of different weights that you carry in the warehouse if the piece to be knocked down is larger or the shooting distance is greater or less. The problem comes for example if when facing the weapon you press this button and shoot. Here the mechanism works differently. But there is an obstacle, the cartridge that was removed when the button was pressed. When the cartridge that remains in the ammunition store is fired, it comes out meeting the cartridge that remained in the elevator and then the interruption occurs. The shell of the fired cartridge comes out perfectly but no cartridge rises to the chamber and I had to use a knife to eliminate the interruption. The next hunting day I will force the interruption. Thank you.


Tiguan, Andrew (lead gunsmith for Fabarm) at the US Nationals told me NOT to press the button to upload a shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate. The gun is designed to cycle properly without manually moving that shell from the mag. tube into the loading gate so that the lifter can then move it up into the chamber when the gun was fired on the preceding shell.


I thought all autoloaders were designed to cycle properly without that step.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 am 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Madrid (Spain)
RandyWakeman wrote:
Tiguan16 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. What would then be the function of that button?


To hold the bolt open.

https://fabarmusa.com/wp-content/upload ... manual.pdf


All clear, but my problem was that when facing the shotgun that button had to be pressed with the clothes since that button is on the side of the body. I note that this button should not be used other than to leave the latch open.

_________________
Benelli SL121 12 ga
Fabarm L4S IH12 ga
Erbi LIG 12 ga
Kromson F.O 32 D' Or
Arturo Fernandez 16 ga
AyA 106 20 ga


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:12 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27050
Location: Plainfield, IL


This is an overview of the L4S Initial Hunter I did over five years ago.

It is easy and no, you do not use your clothes. Start watching at 1:06.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:42 pm
Posts: 28963
Location: Missouri
Thanks for posting that review, Randy.

Why, the Italians are just dominating the American market for higher end semiautomatic shotguns is shown by the review.

First, it’s a gorgeous gun, that weighs less than seven pounds, and well balanced.

It will eat any reasonable load a proud owner would feed it, and it shuts with a ring like a church bell. It’s gas operated, so as to take the bite out of shooting it. What a nice bird gun.

If it said Remington on the barrel, it would weigh a pound and a half more, and the buyer would balk if the price was over $500.

The closet thing I own to that are several older fixed choke Ithaca Model 37s before they went over to three inch receiver guns, or my 1958 Light Twelve with a plain round barrel.

No wonder Fabarm can charge and get close to two thousand for such a nice shotgun.

_________________
I have never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as a reason for withdrawing from a friend. Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:48 am 
Field Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:39 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Madrid (Spain)
RandyWakeman wrote:


This is an overview of the L4S Initial Hunter I did over five years ago.

It is easy and no, you do not use your clothes. Start watching at 1:06.


I wanted to say that perhaps when lifting the shotgun to face me with the clothes I accidentally activated the button in question, producing the interruption.

_________________
Benelli SL121 12 ga
Fabarm L4S IH12 ga
Erbi LIG 12 ga
Kromson F.O 32 D' Or
Arturo Fernandez 16 ga
AyA 106 20 ga


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:39 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 3005
SuperXOne wrote:
Thanks for posting that review, Randy.

Why, the Italians are just dominating the American market for higher end semiautomatic shotguns is shown by the review.

First, it’s a gorgeous gun, that weighs less than seven pounds, and well balanced.

It will eat any reasonable load a proud owner would feed it, and it shuts with a ring like a church bell. It’s gas operated, so as to take the bite out of shooting it. What a nice bird gun.

If it said Remington on the barrel, it would weigh a pound and a half more, and the buyer would balk if the price was over $500.

The closet thing I own to that are several older fixed choke Ithaca Model 37s before they went over to three inch receiver guns, or my 1958 Light Twelve with a plain round barrel.

No wonder Fabarm can charge and get close to two thousand for such a nice shotgun.


SuperX, you can get an L4S IH for a fair amount less than 2K. If you can look around, you can probably find one for substantially less. Very nice field gun, have really enjoyed mine.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:44 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27050
Location: Plainfield, IL
MSRP is $1355.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 3005
RandyWakeman wrote:
MSRP is $1355.


Yep. I was fortunate and found one through the internet from a sporting goods store that was trying to move inventory for 1K. That was special, I know, but somewhere between there and MSRP should be possible, I would think.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Opinion about Fabarm L4S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:42 pm
Posts: 28963
Location: Missouri
RandyWakeman wrote:
MSRP is $1355.


Less than the super dooper three and a half inch plastic blasters.

Or about like a Franchi AL48 would have cost $135 when money was worth ten times more.

I guess I was looking at the high grade models.

Truly a great bird gun, for much less than any B gun over and under.



_________________
I have never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as a reason for withdrawing from a friend. Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Herries, rla1000, RMc, Steeler [Crawler], SuperXOne, T-Pee, ysr_racer


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice