ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best O/U under $1,500
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Have been shooting 12ga Rem 1100, but have been wanting an O/U, for skeet, 5-stand, and occasionally sporting Clays, of course new Brownings/Barettas are at the top end or over my budget. Want ejectors, extended chokes, 30", unported barrels. Honestly, beyond that, have no idea what I'm looking for. Have seen the $385 O/U at Wal-Mart, to Weatherby, Ruger, SKB, even used guns. Would appreciate any guidance.

Post subject: Re: Best O/U under $1,500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 am 
Field Grade

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=499854

Case closed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Yep. Don’t bother with anything below beretta/browning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:29 am 
Limited Edition

Save $99 more and get this ASAP, I gave $1900 for mine.
One of the best guns on the market for the money. IMHO
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841906329

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Elpato just gave you the answer , let us know

Last edited by captjsjr on Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:53 am 
Diamond Grade

oh two great options now!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:52 am 
Limited Edition

Get a used Beretta or Browning. I've owned both and much prefer the Beretta, while other knowledgeable shooters on this forum have owned both and much prefer the Browning. It seems to be a matter of fit and feel. Try both and find a good used gun in your price range. They are readily accessible, easily serviced and quality built.
Good luck to you in your search, please post a photo of the gun you choose.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:00 am 
Diamond Grade

HalfStop wrote:
Get a used Beretta or Browning. I've owned both and much prefer the Beretta, while other knowledgeable shooters on this forum have owned both and much prefer the Browning. It seems to be a matter of fit and feel. Try both and find a good used gun. Good luck to you in your search, please post a photo of the gun you choose.

This!

Can't go wrong with a used Beretta or Browning at your budget. In fact, you can't go wrong with them at any budget. There's a video out there showing a guy using a Citori in Olympic skeet. It TAKES SOME DOING to even qualify for Olympic skeet!

Robert Harford shoots a Citori. Lots of great shooters use, and winning scores are posted, with Beretta 68x guns too. How much better of a pair of steel tubes with wood handles do you need, to dispense hundreds of ballistically poor spheres, to intercept a flying disc or game bird? :lol:

I'm one who prefers Beretta among the entry level quality brands. But I can shoot either "B" gun about equally well.

That said, I'd love to have a Perazzi, Z Gun, K 80, Kolar , etc. Heck, a Boss, Purdey or H&H too for that matter! But it ain't gonna happen anytime soon (or never in the case of those British examples).

I'm happy for owners of higher end shotguns. I like seeing and handling those guns, enjoy the company of those shooting them on my squad, and admire their quality, workmanship, durability, beauty, handling characteristics etc. All that! Including seeing the satisfaction of ownership obviously present for their owners.

Enjoy your shopping and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:32 am 
Crown Grade

Yes, a good lightly used higher grade shotgun would be my choice. Folks are always looking for that gun which will give them that will raise them from a 95 to a 98, as you will in time find out for yourself.

Those folks will have a well cared for entry level gun to unload, you can save a step or two on your journey, along with a few bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Used Beretta, Verona, rizzini or similar quality Italian gun. The Japanese offerings just aren't as good design and build wise. If you can live with 28" barrels there are deals to be had. Picked up a good condition 682 sporting with 28" barrels for $809 used a lot a gun shop last year. Deals are out there if u hunt pawn shops and gunbroker. My baby 686 28ga was only like $1200 used as well. Let some other knucklehead eat the depreciation cost. Used 682/686/687 with the features you want is the way to go. Tons of aftermarket and lots of Mobil chokes out there cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nk02442 wrote:
Used Beretta, Verona, rizzini or similar quality Italian gun. The Japanese offerings just aren't as good design and build wise. If you can live with 28" barrels there are deals to be had. Picked up a good condition 682 sporting with 28" barrels for $809 used a lot a gun shop last year. Deals are out there if u hunt pawn shops and gunbroker. My baby 686 28ga was only like $1200 used as well. Let some other knucklehead eat the depreciation cost. Used 682/686/687 with the features you want is the way to go. Tons of aftermarket and lots of Mobil chokes out there cheap.

Uhhhh What are you talking about?
Do you even know what you are saying?
The Japanese aren't as good design and build wise?
Do you have proof to show millions who say otherwise ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's a fact. 500 years of gun guild culture vs a hundred years of questionable quality in a culture of copying everyone else's sh*t.

In the sporting world, Beretta dominates because people who actually shoot, shoot alot and care about quality and handling characteristics choose them. When I was competing Beretta dominated, followed by CG, then your K and P guns and lastly the sprinkling of citori/skb other stuff.

The beretta/Italian style action is hands down a better design than the mirkuro/Browning. It's more refined, more reliable and doesn't feel like your holding a 2x4.

The boss action is even nicer.

Very few people who shoot them side by side would pick the Browning. Even fewer when looking at heavy use. I've had citoris go down in competition, never had a berretta o/u force me to run to the car to grab a backup gun to finish the day. The proof is in the pudding, people spending thousands or tens of thousands a year aren't going to use sh*t that doesn't work. And trap shooting is like watching paint dry with zero real wingshooting skill required making the gun almost irrelevent so after you take them out of your "millions" you are left with a very small minority.

A book could be written detailing the minutia but bottom line, Beretta makes a superior product and it's not close.

The numbers don't lie, go look at a regional or national sporting event and see who is shooting what.

Take a look at high volume outfitters and see what guns they use. Don't see too many brownings in argentina.

japanese guns are built for a price point by companies that don't have the capability to build their own guns. I'm going to take the 10th generation builder from brecia over the button pusher from Japan 8 days a week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:56 pm 
Crown Grade

So many prejudices rearing their ugly heads.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here are some options (a bit higher priced) http://fowlershotgunning.com/top-5-entr ... -shotguns/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Those lists really mean nothing. They are lazy clickbait trash that are almost worthless. Half the products are new and unproven. It takes years and millions of rounds through thousands of guns to build enough of a data set before you can make an informed decision. 90% of the sh*t sold today won't be sold in 5 years and if it is, will be materialy different enough to make an apples to apples comparison impossible. Some of those products may turn out great but we won't know for years. The best indicator of future performance is past performance. Stick with companies that have a long track record of making quality, durable, high performing products that they support. If a company has to flip their product line ever 4 years, they probally don't make anything worth buying. Or in berettas case, selling the latest shiney (690,692,sv10,693,694,) to the uninformed buyer while jacking up the price. Meanwhile guys shooting 25 year old 682s and 686/7s keep on getting the last laugh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So--old Berettas good. New ones junk?

I have had a few junk -a$$ Berettas (incl an SO 5). But I would not hesitate to tell a new shooter to get one. Chances are they'll be fine. Same w/ Brownings.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

nk02442 wrote:
Those lists really mean nothing. They are lazy clickbait trash that are almost worthless. Half the products are new and unproven. It takes years and millions of rounds through thousands of guns to build enough of a data set before you can make an informed decision. 90% of the sh*t sold today won't be sold in 5 years and if it is, will be materialy different enough to make an apples to apples comparison impossible. Some of those products may turn out great but we won't know for years. The best indicator of future performance is past performance. Stick with companies that have a long track record of making quality, durable, high performing products that they support. If a company has to flip their product line ever 4 years, they probally don't make anything worth buying. Or in berettas case, selling the latest shiney (690,692,sv10,693,694,) to the uninformed buyer while jacking up the price. Meanwhile guys shooting 25 year old 682s and 686/7s keep on getting the last laugh.

C’mon, it ain’t a kidney. There is a bunch of shooting pleasure out there with a lot of different brand names on it. Every gun purchase doesn’t have to be the best one ever. Every gun doesn’t have to last a lifetime. If you are happy with what you buy on the day you buy it, that is all that matters. Down the road is down the road. No brand is perfect. No brand never fails. Learning later on that some other purchase might have been a little better won’t ruin your life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:47 pm 
Limited Edition

repenman is 100% right. I have both, A Beretta, and a new Browning. The Browning fits me better, I also have a 1961 Beretta Silver snipe I still shoot. Quality, finish, is about the same on all three guns. There is no one gun for every one. japanese guns are as good as Italia guns. I have had them all, japanese,Italian , German. They all lasted a long time, except the Turk gun, I only use it for double trap , and that's not much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
nk02442 wrote:

C’mon, it ain’t a kidney. There is a bunch of shooting pleasure out there with a lot of different brand names on it. Every gun purchase doesn’t have to be the best one ever. Every gun doesn’t have to last a lifetime. If you are happy with what you buy on the day you buy it, that is all that matters. Down the road is down the road. No brand is perfect. No brand never fails. Learning later on that some other purchase might have been a little better won’t ruin your life.

It comes down to smart purchasing. Why would I risk spending the same money on a product with a high probability of being a turd vs something proven. O/U are old tech and despite everyone trying to come up with the next gimick to sell product, not much has changed in the last 75 years.

Modern features aside, we already know what works.

We know who can make quality products

We know who has a track record of making crap

We know who has been around forever and who will probally not exist in 5 or 10 years.

To me, guns are an asset. I want to maximize value for as long as possible within reason. If I am going to take a depreciation hit then it's going to be something I better get lots of use out of an enjoy.

The simple fact is the gun world is full of horsepucks hype products that don't deliver. A new or newer product is more likely to be a dud than a stud. That's just the simple facts. Getting reliable reviews on new products is all bit impossible due to the paid for review and everyone willing to say anything to get a few hits. It's a business for them but for the consimer, we are fed nothing but horsepucks.

That makes long term usage in numbers by enough people in enough conditions the only way to have a high enough confidence level in a product, especially a gun.

We live in a world of squeezing every penny anyway possible. A $2000 O/U today is NOT the same quality as a $2000 gun from 20 years ago. While CNC has made it cheaper to produce parts, the cost of everything has skyrocketed and the cost of skilled labor in this market is very high. That same quality gun that sold in 1980 for $2000, probally costs $5000 to make today. Throw in exchange rate fluctuations and it's a bigger mess.

Look at the price of quality guns over the last $20 years. sh*t you can't fake, High end berettas (DT10 and up), CGs, Zolis, K and P guns..... They all have gotten way more expensive. I remmeber less than 20 years ago you could get a k80 for around $4500-5K. Now the floor is double that. Inflation means all things being equal your product gets more expensive every year. You can offset that with new innovations, design maturity, capitalizing on fixed costs,ect, but you can't make steel cost less or skilled labor any cheaper. So you cut cost by using cheaper materials or changing designs to be cheaper to produce. Sometimes that has no effect on performance but sometimes it does and sometimes it cheapens the product. If I'm dropping $8k on a gun I want quality craftsmanship that can be passed down, not pot metal or plastic sh*t.

What I'm getting at is making a smart purchase will not only bring you more pleasure but will help your asset retain value. I don't buy new designs becuase time has told me, new designs have a very high failure rate. I let other dumbasses beta test them instead.

A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Be wise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

The other side is my time is valuable. I don't get that much time to hunt or shoot with other priorities in life. So the time I do get, I don't want to mess around with sh*t guns or sh*t products that ruin the experience. A crappy set of cloths that doesn't keep you dry or scope that doesn't hold zero could ruin an expensive hunt. A crappy shotgun could ruin a tournament. When I go shoot a round of Clay's with the wife, I don't want to dang with a gun that doesn't do what I want , when I want, Everytime. When I go shoot a long range comp if anything in the system fails, I fail. Time spend shooting shouldn't be friendly around with fixing sh*t or trying to figure out why x didn't do y. Time is valuable and if I'm not enjoying myself, then why the hell am I there in the first place