ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best O/U under $1,500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nk02442 wrote:
It's a fact. 500 years of gun guild culture vs a hundred years of questionable quality in a culture of copying everyone else's sh*t.

In the sporting world, Beretta dominates because people who actually shoot, shoot alot and care about quality and handling characteristics choose them. When I was competing Beretta dominated, followed by CG, then your K and P guns and lastly the sprinkling of citori/skb other stuff.

The beretta/Italian style action is hands down a better design than the mirkuro/Browning. It's more refined, more reliable and doesn't feel like your holding a 2x4.

The boss action is even nicer.

Very few people who shoot them side by side would pick the Browning. Even fewer when looking at heavy use. I've had citoris go down in competition, never had a berretta o/u force me to run to the car to grab a backup gun to finish the day. The proof is in the pudding, people spending thousands or tens of thousands a year aren't going to use sh*t that doesn't work. And trap shooting is like watching paint dry with zero real wingshooting skill required making the gun almost irrelevent so after you take them out of your "millions" you are left with a very small minority.

A book could be written detailing the minutia but bottom line, Beretta makes a superior product and it's not close.

The numbers don't lie, go look at a regional or national sporting event and see who is shooting what.

Take a look at high volume outfitters and see what guns they use. Don't see too many brownings in argentina.

japanese guns are built for a price point by companies that don't have the capability to build their own guns. I'm going to take the 10th generation builder from brecia over the button pusher from Japan 8 days a week.

Well color me one who went back to Browning.
The fit is far superior for me.
I guess you haven't been reading about the trials and issues with the 692 series.
I saw one eat one of it's it's hammer's one day.
Because of a bad reputation Beretta has dropped it.
I've shot both extensively . I've shot more Beretta's but I have used my Brownings longer.
No issues with either in 50 years.
But Browning's fit me better and I shoot them consistently better.
I loved my Beretta's but couldn't shoot them.
Your price point argument doesn't hold a drop of water.
Like most Japanese products there may be differences in cosmetic quality vs. price but the working parts are the same high quality.
And as far as fit and finish goes Beretta's entry level SP1 Sporting leaves much to be desired compared to Brownings CX- series.
Why not post this over on T.S.com where real competitors post and see what kind of
response you get?
Here is a little taste of what to expect if you do.
https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/be ... et.859255/

Last edited by Jaspo01 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Used Winchester 101 and Browning Superposed fits in your price range. Browning Superposed is the ORIGINAL over/under.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Well there you go!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

$1500 is just not a good price point for a new gun. If you go to around $2000 and buy at the online prices you can get a very nice Browning or Beretta. At $1500 you can get a nice one of either of those used. One advantage of the B guns is that if you do not get exactly the right one for you on the first purchase they are fairly easy to sell when you decide to change. Not as much so for some of the cheaper guns that you might pick up for under $1500.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:02 am 
Diamond Grade

Bill M. wrote:
$1500 is just not a good price point for a new gun. If you go to around $2000 and buy at the online prices you can get a very nice Browning or Beretta. At $1500 you can get a nice one of either of those used. One advantage of the B guns is that if you do not get exactly the right one for you on the first purchase they are fairly easy to sell when you decide to change. Not as much so for some of the cheaper guns that you might pick up for under $1500.

Great point and wise advice. Echoed by several posters.

Good luck and enjoy the heck out of your new to you gun!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:21 am 
Diamond Grade

This spring, I picked up a previously-owned but still new in the box, unfired, Beretta Silver Pigeon I for $1400.

Deals on nice guns are out there. It is very unlikely that you will regret purchasing a Beretta or Browning. I have a really hard time being patient and looking for good deals when I want to buy a gun, but as I get older, I realize it's a good thing to do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:46 am 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
This spring, I picked up a previously-owned but still new in the box, unfired, Beretta Silver Pigeon I for $1400.

Deals on nice guns are out there. It is very unlikely that you will regret purchasing a Beretta or Browning. I have a really hard time being patient and looking for good deals when I want to buy a gun, but as I get older, I realize it's a good thing to do.

Regarding patience it helps to already have a gun to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:58 am 
Diamond Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
desmobob wrote:

The OP said he was already shooting a 12ga. Remington 1100...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:
desmobob wrote:

The OP said he was already shooting a 12ga. Remington 1100...

Yep. Just think how impatient he would be without it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

There was a great video can't remmeber from who, maybe it was CG president that bassically said for fine shotguns, if the price isint rising like 3% a year to keep up with inflation, they are most likely cheaping the product to control costs. Think about that and now think about a gun made 20 years ago and that same gun today, selling for the same price.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
Yep. Just think how impatient he would be without it.

I may have lied when I suggested I'm more patient now than I used to be. :roll:

The OP, who it would appear only owns one shotgun, may not have a real case of "shotgun fever" yet and may have plenty of patience.

Or not.

Maybe some psychologist will do a study on gun lust...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:

And I’m just the opposite. As I age I realize if I want it I’d better get it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:00 pm 
Crown Grade

As a cyclist I am surprised to not see the term n+1 used for guns as it is for bikes. It represents the number everyone needs to have. In a way it is similar to that joke sign outside a bar in Truckee, CA: “Free Beer Tomorrow.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
As a cyclist I am surprised to not see the term n+1 used for guns as it is for bikes. It represents the number everyone needs to have. In a way it is similar to that joke sign outside a bar in Truckee, CA: “Free Beer Tomorrow.”

I only have two bicycles. But firearms, fly rods, camera lenses, knives, etc.? How many do I need? "Just one more..." Thanks for introducing me to the "n+1" term.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

I only have two bicycles. But firearms, fly rods, camera lenses, knives, etc.? How many do I need? "Just one more..." Thanks for introducing me to the "n+1" term.

I do what I can. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:

I do what I can. {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a 28 year old SP1 Sporting and a brand new SP1 Sporting. I bought it at one of the big box store's promo sales. I like the new gun better than the old one. Lighter weight, narrow rib, better balanced. The "checkering" is a lousy laser pattern so they have cut costs in that respect. The wood is pretty plain but the finish good. The roll engraving is different. Otherwise the new gun is better than the old one. I cheated a little. I put a upgraded stock on the new gun. Hence I did not care much how the stock one looked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 am 
Field Grade

Im glad the “best gun under...” question has finally been settled. Now all anyone has to do is search “new gun advice“ in the forum and they’ll know what to buy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

elpato wrote:
Im glad the “best gun under...” question has finally been settled. Now all anyone has to do is search “new gun advice“ in the forum and they’ll know what to buy.

That issue will never be settled.
There is a good sticky posted on that subject but it badly needs updating because prices have risen so much since it was posted.
Good new O/U's no longer start at $1000.
They now start closer to $2000.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Reading this, I realized how close I am to being able to afford to get what I want without settling. Have decided to be patient, keep saving, shoot some other peoples guns if they will let me, and try to get some free coaching from more experienced shooters, to try to refine my ideas of exactly what fits, and what it is that I want.