ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKB??
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

My LEFTY 11 yr old has a 3901 R/L Target Beretta 12 ga right side eject, he shoots it pretty well and he's up to 1 oz loads as he's a pretty big kid for his age. I've recently discovered a SKB RS400 left side eject with fully adjustable pitch, comb, cast and LOP from 13 1/2 to 14 3/4. My son is at the 13 1/2" LOP right now. I personally think the SKB might serve him a bit better as the Beretta only has an adjustable comb and cast. I am an absolute believer in proper gun fit. I have read some reviews about the new SKB and most are good but I believe in the target world they may be looked down upon a bit. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? I have heard the best reviews on SKB service. I also know the Beretta has been through quite a few youth shooters with no fails. My goal is to get him into an O/U when the time is right in a couple years. I am open to your opinions on this because my gut says Beretta but the hardware adjustability and left side eject makes the SKB seem like a better deal. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: SKB??
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

39DUCK wrote:
My LEFTY 11 yr old has a 3901 R/L Target Beretta 12 ga right side eject, he shoots it pretty well and he's up to 1 oz loads as he's a pretty big kid for his age. I've recently discovered a SKB RS400 left side eject with fully adjustable pitch, comb, cast and LOP from 13 1/2 to 14 3/4. My son is at the 13 1/2" LOP right now. I personally think the SKB might serve him a bit better as the Beretta only has an adjustable comb and cast. I am an absolute believer in proper gun fit. I have read some reviews about the new SKB and most are good but I believe in the target world they may be looked down upon a bit. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? I have heard the best reviews on SKB service. I also know the Beretta has been through quite a few youth shooters with no fails. My goal is to get him into an O/U when the time is right in a couple years. I am open to your opinions on this because my gut says Beretta but the hardware adjustability and left side eject makes the SKB seem like a better deal. Thoughts?

That gun has about all the adjustments your son would ever need. Lots of features for the money. With a 5 year warranty, it would be hard to go wrong. Of course, if you have $5K or more to spend, you could probably find a better one, but it's doubtful that the customer service would be any better... based on what I hear/read. For under a grand, and with all those features and a 5 year warranty, it would be hard to go wrong.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

We checked one out yesterday and it fit him with the pad all the way in and I really liked the way it handled just have to order the left handed model. I also told him if he keeps shooting competitive targets and he did end up with an O/U, this would be an awesome back up gun.

I know me well enough that I won't get rid of the 3901 R/L either, might have some grandkids someday that want to shoot!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is the right side eject posing a problem for him?
Im not sure what you would gain with the SKB.
You could space out the Beretta or buy an adult stock for it.
Maybe just let him keep shooting the Beretta until he's ready for an OU.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Claysmoke27 wrote:
Is the right side eject posing a problem for him?
Im not sure what you would gain with the SKB.
You could space out the Beretta or buy an adult stock for it.
Maybe just let him keep shooting the Beretta until he's ready for an OU.

I'm pretty fond of the Beretta, but I don't want to hack the youth stock to get more adjustability out of it and he hasn't had any real issues with the ejection other than an occasional ricochet off of his hat and shooting glasses but it's rare. I handled that darn SKB and I really like it. We'll still use the Beretta for the young shooters. The fact that not many youth or small frame shooters can find a 12 ga to shoot with has been a huge issue for the youth programs. Most start with a 28 and work right into a 12 ga with light loads. The older kids all shoot the A400's and they are a little pricey. If this gun is decent it is almost half the price with more adjustability than the A400. I shoot a Beretta, but this looks appealing to me getting some kids in with a little less $ is what I'm about. We tried 1100 Remingtons but they just don't balance well with youth stocks. That's my $.02

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've not had any experience with the "new" SKB guns but their customer service in taking care of an ongoing problem with a Japanese SKB built Weatherby was above and beyond.
"Beretta customer service" is pretty much an oxymoron. It took almost 3 years - 6+ months of which my wife's a400 was either enroute back and forth to Maryland or in the shop "getting worked on" - before they finally replaced it.
Needless to say that if I were in your shoes, I'd be giving the SKB some serious consideration.
Just my $0.02

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I wouldn't touch an SKB made in Turkey for a high volume target gun. JMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like you want that SKB. Go for it and let us know how it works out.
I wouldn't cut that original Beretta stock, but I would find an adult one and maybe even another one that I would cut, maybe put a adjustable pad on it.
Its so easy to swap stocks around as needed.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:47 pm 
Crown Grade

SKB is THE most underated shotgun on the market------you won't be dissapointed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I ordered one in left today for my son, hopefully it's here in a couple weeks. I will report back as we use it with my review.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

i'll be watching for the review.
I'm wanting one of their combo guns, but can't swing the price so I will have to keep shooting my 1991 made SKB for a while longer.

oh,,, none of the older kids make fun of my shotgun... LOL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Brought the gun home yesterday it comes with 5 choke tubes, a wrench, some lube, a bolt handle removing tool, a small hard case to store the choke tubes in and a trigger lock (for the liberals). The one thing that I noticed right away is that the adjustable LOP, pad and hardware is way nicer and made of aluminum unlike the Beretta 3901 and it's plastic adjustable comb hardware. Hopefully the weather will straighten up here in a week or so and we can maybe make a trip to the gun club to try it out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p5Cihp ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Does it say "Akdas"?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Does it say "Akdas"?

Randy, all I can find is SKB Shotguns Omaha, Nebraska on one side and model and chamber on the other.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

39DUCK wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
Does it say "Akdas"?

Randy, all I can find is SKB Shotguns Omaha, Nebraska on one side and model and chamber on the other.

After tearing it down to clean I did find what you were asking and yes it does.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15r_q0 ... 2U26BeK3ib

He shot 2 rounds of trap today and was really crushing targets with it. We had to adjust the pad one small adjustment. We were shooting some soft recoil Fiocchi 1 oz loads and they all ejected fine but the gun didn't stay open 50% of the time. I did not clean it before we went to the GC so that may be on me. As soon as we got home I tore it down cleaned and lubed with Pro-shot Zero friction. Hopefully it will break in and stay open after shooting 1 oz loads. So far I'm pleased with it as long as it will function properly. I did notice when I removed the trigger there is a lot of plastic parts but that seems to be the trend now a days. He liked it so well he wanted to try the 27 yrd line and hit 3/5 from there so it's a straight shooter anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:08 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

This is part of the story of AKDAS, https://www.defenceturkey.com/en/conten ... -arms-3498 founded by Ömer AKDAŞ from Huğlu.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like AKDAS knows what they are doing! I plan to keep updating as he shoots it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Had another outing with the RS400. After the cleaning and lubed with zero friction she performed flawlessly with 1 oz Fiocchi Target Maxx. He shot 3 rounds of trap with it and seems to be the perfect size for him. We are pleased with the performance so far and the value. Anything to help ease the cost of just getting these kids involved in our sport is a big help. Not every kid's dad has a shooting hobby like mine!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

We have used SKB's as rental guns for years, they get used a lot, and the don't have problems. They are very easy to work on for routine maintanance. They are well balanced and the adjustable combs and buttplates are a real bonus.

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:03 am 
Presentation Grade

After losing a year of shooting, we are signed up for SCTP and shooting! I scored a couple flats of shells this last week at our local Scheels. Was worried we weren’t going to have any to shoot. My reloading supplies are getting to super low status. The SKB is still functioning properly, haven’t had any cycling issues at all after the very first outing. Hoping for shells to become more available to keep feeding it.