ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 930 Waterfowl
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

In September of 2018, I took an interest in waterfowl hunting. At the time, I did not have a shotgun I wanted to subject to the harsh conditions of the marsh, so I knew it was time to look into something new. After doing some research, I came upon the Mossberg 930 Waterfowl. The reviews were good and the price was affordable enough, so I made the purchase.

I started out by hunting early teal, dove, and shooting a few rounds of skeet with it each week. My initial impressions were positive - the gun functioned as one would expect and I don't recall having any issues with it. Overall, it was a decently enjoyable gun to shoot, especially for the cost of entry.

However, starting around November 2018, my impressions quickly began to change for the worse. On a particularly cold morning in the duck blind, my 930 began to inexplicably fail to fire; it would randomly light strike the primer and I would have to fully eject the shell and reload it sometimes three or four times before a successful detonation. At the time, I attributed it to either the weather conditions or the gun needing cleaned, so I took the gun home, stripped it down, and gave it good detail, paying extra attention to the firing pin channel and trigger group.

Unfortunately, the issues persisted, even after trying various brands of shells, different brands and amounts of lubrication, controlled weather conditions, and so forth. I went ahead and sent the gun back to Mossberg for warranty service. According to Mossberg's service sheet, they replaced both the trigger assembly and the gas assembly during the repair. After roughly a month of turnaround, I received my rebuilt Mossberg back.

At first, the gun ran perfectly. I took it out to the local skeet club and put nearly a flat of shells through it without any problems whatsoever. By this point, my waterfowl season was effectively over, so I stuck the 930 in the safe for the time being, pulling it out occasionally for a game or two of skeet or the odd pigeon hunt.

This November, I took the gun back out for another season of duck hunting. I had high expectations for my gun that were shattered in short time. Within the span of two days hunting, the same issues from the previous season returned in full force. I decided not to subject myself to last year's frustrations of many birds lost due to gun failure and opted to use my 1960's era Auto-5 (which loves to rust at the mere sight of water) for the remainder of the season. I soon thereafter parted with my Mossberg 930 and have been thankful to be rid of it.

From what I have read, my experience with the 930 has been atypical as most owners seem to enjoy their's and have few, if any, issues. I assume that I just got the lemon of the batch, but I will not soon be testing my theory by purchasing another Mossberg 930 shotgun.

Thanks for reading.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 930 Waterfowl
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hmm, I have the Mossberg 930 Combo waterfowl and deer. My son used it this waterfowl season in wet and sometimes down to 19* temps with no issues, granted the gun only has 50 rounds through it.

Your description of the issues leads me to believe that it could be a weak hammer spring or the hammer is dragging before it strikes the firing pin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 pm 
Field Grade

Take the shotgun apart and the gas piston. Remove the two rings on the gas piston and thoroughly clean, scraping all the built up carbon.

After several hundred rounds, fouling begins to build up expanding the gas rings apart and creating to much friction. This will eventually lead to the bolt not fully closing and causing the light strikes. Jerry Mickuleck has a video on how to breakdown a 930 and clean.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Chocolab wrote:
Hmm, I have the Mossberg 930 Combo waterfowl and deer. My son used it this waterfowl season in wet and sometimes down to 19* temps with no issues, granted the gun only has 50 rounds through it.

Your description of the issues leads me to believe that it could be a weak hammer spring or the hammer is dragging before it strikes the firing pin.

I’m glad to hear you’ve had good luck with your 930! {hs#

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

Last edited by ThrowAway on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:15 am 
Tournament Grade

ThrowAway wrote:
This November, I took the gun back out for another season of duck hunting. I had high expectations for my gun that were shattered in short time. Within the span of two days hunting, the same issues from the previous season returned in full force. I decided not to subject myself to last year's frustrations of many birds lost due to gun failure and opted to use my 1960's era Auto-5 (which loves to rust at the mere sight of water) for the remainder of the season. I soon thereafter parted with my Mossberg 930 and have been thankful to be rid of it.

sabre032003 wrote:
Take the shotgun apart and the gas piston. Remove the two rings on the gas piston and thoroughly clean, scraping all the built up carbon.

After several hundred rounds, fouling begins to build up expanding the gas rings apart and creating to much friction. This will eventually lead to the bolt not fully closing and causing the light strikes. Jerry Mickuleck has a video on how to breakdown a 930 and clean.

I appreciate the advice, but per the original post, I no longer have this gun in my possession. Also, I had tried deep cleaning the gas system after reading a forum post outlining the exact same scenario you mentioned here, but it did not help resolve my issue. If memory serves, I believe I had three misfires within a box of shells in my post-clean testing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also have the 930 Combo, it has been bulletproof, without a single FTF, since I bought it in 2009. But like anything else mass produced, you can get a bad one that just refuses to work.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your 930 should have been covered under Mossberg's warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought a 930 Waterfowl a few years ago and it was a Jam-o-matic. It would fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject, it didn't matter what ammo. I obviously got a bad one because this gun was awful. There are a lot of threads out there about these sorts of issues with this gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

oldshotty wrote:
I bought a 930 Waterfowl a few years ago and it was a Jam-o-matic. It would fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject, it didn't matter what ammo. I obviously got a bad one because this gun was awful. There are a lot of threads out there about these sorts of issues with this gun.

Some of our hunting trips take us hours from home, and I have to trust my gun will work when I get there. My 930 was so unpredictable that it made trust impossible. I’m thinking about getting one of the new camouflaged Cynergy’s for my next waterfowl gun. I don’t anticipate reliability being an issue with a double gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

I`ve never had a problem ( knock on a tree`s worth of wood ) with any of my SA`s, but I NEVER go on a hunting trip without a backup when using them. You just....never...know with those things. ALL brands!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 am 
Tournament Grade

On the clays courses, I normally don’t have issues either, Tide. Seems to only happen when I’m out in the field.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:28 pm 
Crown Grade

ThrowAway wrote:
On the clays courses, I normally don’t have issues either, Tide. Seems to only happen when I’m out in the field.

That’s interesting. First thing that comes to mind is the different loads you might use in the field vs. clays course? All academic now, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Did your gun make any round trips to Mossberg to fix the issues? I am guessing that it did.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:

That’s interesting. First thing that comes to mind is the different loads you might use in the field vs. clays course? All academic now, though.

I should clarify that I meant that in general, not specifically to the 930. Murphy’s Law and what not...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
Did your gun make any round trips to Mossberg to fix the issues? I am guessing that it did.

Yes, it did. The rebuild work was a short term solution as the problems cropped up again shortly after.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
I`ve never had a problem ( knock on a tree`s worth of wood ) with any of my SA`s, but I NEVER go on a hunting trip without a backup when using them. You just....never...know with those things. ALL brands!

Agreed. On any hunting trip we'll always have at least one spare gun in the group, maybe more. It is very rare they ever have to be used (I don't remember that I've ever had to grab my backup gun) but "better safe than sorry".

I spend too much money, and more importantly I have too few opportunities to take time away from family & work to hunt, to have a trip cut short by an equipment failure. I'm also a bit superstitious that anything you have a spare for doesn't seem to fail :)

ThrowAway, I'm glad you're rid of your problem and I hope whatever you choose next serves you better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:45 pm 
Crown Grade

miklm wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

Agreed. On any hunting trip we'll always have at least one spare gun in the group, maybe more. It is very rare they ever have to be used (I don't remember that I've ever had to grab my backup gun) but "better safe than sorry".

I spend too much money, and more importantly I have too few opportunities to take time away from family & work to hunt, to have a trip cut short by an equipment failure. I'm also a bit superstitious that anything you have a spare for doesn't seem to fail :)

ThrowAway, I'm glad you're rid of your problem and I hope whatever you choose next serves you better.

“ Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.” Applies to lots of things in life.