Shotgun Forum banner

Thank you

4K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  richg99 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I made my first post on this forum. It was titled "Am I being too picky/Cheap?"

I received some great feedback and help that allowed me to examine things in a different way.

I finally got over my analysis paralysis and found a great deal that I can't help but brag a little bit about.

After making a decision on how to approach things with my newfound attitude of 'it's not a kidney' and 'it's just a gun,' I made a weekend out of hitting all the brick and mortar stores in the area to look, shoulder, guns and get my name in the right hands.

I was thoroughly surprised at 2 things in particular:

1. Some of the absolute trash sitting on the shelves of some of my local pawn shops
2. How little variety there is at the chain sporting good places.

It seemed like most of the pawn shops, even though I explained exactly what I needed, tried to put a rusty, dinged up, gun in my hands. Stuff that, even if I knew how to revive and make a gun look good, I would pass on. I would gently steer the employee to the guns that caught my eye from the shelf. That, or I would ask to talk to someone else (one pawn shop employee was not knowledgeable, and had an attitude about it.)

The big chain stores would have several pumps on the shelf and a very small selection of SAs. Dick's had the most to fondle. That was limited to about 5 that were walnut. I didn't expect that.

Now for the deal of the year!!!

I walk into a local gun shop. I've made many purchases here throughout the years. 2 pistols, a bow, a lot of ammo. It's a nice place to kill some time and chat with the employees and customers. Good coffee too.

This was the 2nd place I went to, after the local Academy. I had called earlier in the week to make sure the owner would be in. He's friendly, knowledgeable and bluntly honest.

I lay my situation out for him and he let's me peruse and shoulder many guns. He talks me out of the gun I really thought I wanted, saying i'm 5 years too late, and the new ones are no better than a gun half the price. He didn't talk the brand down, just let me know some of the issues he's seen first-hand.

I shouldered a black synthetic mossberg 930. It pointed perfectly, as well as swung perfectly. He had a walnut version but it was 20G. Not sure if it was called a 930, but it was similar enough to look at the wood and fit/finish.

I told him to let me know if he got any 12g in and he said he would, that he was meeting with the mossberg guy soon.

About a week later I get a call. He's got some guns in. 5 930's. 3 of them wood. Sweet!

I find the prettiest one, and start pointing it. it's great.

I ask price. He gives price. I ask again, because I think I misheard. He says the same price. I ask again, because I think he's giving me a synthetic price, and don't want to screw the guy. Nope. He's serious.

I hem-haw and then he tells me to go pick out a case for it and he'll throw that in. I go get like a cheapy $15 case. He looks at it. "That's the wrong case for this gun."

I'm thinking I got one too short, or a rifle. I don't think so. I'm confused.

He walks over and gets a nice, leather case. Someting that's around $100 probably, if you're gonna go buy one. "This fits this gun."

I almost ripped my pants pulling out my wallet that fast.

Wait....it get's better. My credit card company sent an email a few days before. I logged in to check my balance/ cash back. I had $150 cash back built up from gasoline purchases.

So, not only did I get a free case, and a great deal on the gun, I basically, got a $150 off that just for using a card at the pump!!!

I floated out of that place. I was shaking hands and waving as I walked out the door. Smiling like a fool!

The gun has been cleaned and I ran a box of shells through it with no issues. The weather has been nasty but, I think I'll have some sunshine in order to run a few more boxes through it this weekend.

I just wanted to say thank you to the posters, and brag a little bit.

I enjoy coming here and reading your stories, opinions, advice and other posts. Keep it up!

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats! Enjoy your new gun! {hs#

I enjoyed reading about your shopping and buying experience. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.