ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Range Safety Officers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm the RM for a relatively small semi-private range where rifle, pistol and shotgun goes on simultaneously but within view of wherever I am. That said, I do shoot with my members but it very much depends on what members or newbies are there. The "regulars" that have proven themselves trustworthy? No problem. I get a new family with kids or someone that is a little less careful than others? Nope. I'm on the line watching. It's a "depends" issue without the capital "d".

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

At our club, which is private, the RSOs are allowed to shoot and many do, but the squads are usually experienced and well versed in policies, so there shouldn't be an issue. Usually the RSO has two fields and if somebody new shows up on the 2nd field, the RSO will stop what he's doing and help them, not only to be safe, but to have an enjoyable experience.

As an RSO, I don't shoot when on duty, as I can't focus at the level I need to really shoot well. If there's nobody there, I hook up the Clay Delay and shoot. But if there are a group or two there, I don't. I'll pull for them if needed, but the first duty is for safety. To relax you really need to know your shooters. I well understand something can happen even if an RSO is on duty with even an experienced shooter, but the chances go way down compared to a novice.

Now I used to serve at a second range where John Q Public shot, and I'd never think of shooting with him when I've got the RSO hat on. Can't let him pull either, because God only knows what kind of stunts he'll pull or where he'll shoot from. Only one field in action, too as that's all you can watch.

On sporting I'd never shoot because there's just too much distance to pay attention to what's really going on with your shooters. Keep watching and guiding.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 am 
Crown Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
On sporting I'd never shoot because there's just too much distance to pay attention to what's really going on with your shooters. Keep watching and guiding.

I've only shot half a dozen sporting courses but I've never seen a RSO on a sporting clays course. I don't even know how that could work unless you had one on each station.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

DEG, the RSOs on our sporting course are like rangers on a golf course. They move around watching for those who might need guidance and/or assistance and then act accordingly, especially if there are equipment (trap) issues.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:44 pm 
Utility Grade

If you were ever a dad you did more than two things at once. If you don't like it step up to the plate and do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:51 pm 
Limited Edition

jpickar wrote:
...If you don't like it step up to the plate and do the job.

Pretty much my case. I'm not complaining either. :)

tp (with his own range and a paycheck)

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)