ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a 20 gauge for the grandson
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:34 pm 
Field Grade

I need to start looking for a 20 gauge gas gun for my 10yr old grandson. He really likes my Franchi 620 but I haven't been able to find another one for him.
I would prefer a gas gun and I don't want to spend over $1000
I might be ok with an inertia gun if it was low recoil.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Need a 20 gauge for the grandson
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Mossberg SA-20

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’m a fan of the Weathrby SA-08. We’ve had several in the family both the Deluxe model with the nice wood stock and one with the synthetic stock. The plastic one I got has the 26” barrel and I put the shorter stock (12 1/2” LOP) from their Compact model on it rather than just getting the Compact with the 24” barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

My vote is for a used Remington 1100, preferably one that already has scratches and dings since your grandson will probably add a few more along the way.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

I highly recommend the Tristar viper g2. I've had mine for a little over a year, and it's been 100% reliable. Cycles everything I put in it, and it's simple to clean and maintain. The Mossberg sa-20 is the same gun. Either should serve you well

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:13 am 
Diamond Grade

ThrowAway wrote:
My vote is for a used Remington 1100, preferably one that already has scratches and dings since your grandson will probably add a few more along the way.

Ditto on the 1100.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

May I ask why a 20?? Don’t get me wrong, I own 20s and love them and really like the Browning Silver in 20, but why not a 12? I have an 8 year old and 5 year old that are going to start with my Beretta A300 sporting (obviously not right now). I’m fitting a RL stock to it and it’s great and cycles 7/8oz and 3/4oz great and is a soft shooter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a Remington Standard 1100 20 Ga. that my 12 year old grandson used to shoot. It has a VR 26" barrel with choke tubes installed. A nice thing about these guns is a 12 Ga. shell catcher works on them and 12 Ga. wood fits them. I also have a 28" plain barrel for the gun in fixed full choke.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:43 pm 
Field Grade

H2O FOWLER247, weight is the reason. I mostly hunt upland now so why have a kid carry around a heavy gun when a light weight 20 will easily kill over a pointer.
I shot a 20 gauge up into my 30's and never felt undergunned until I started goose hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tristar makes guns specifically sized for young shooters. I’d start there.

https://www.tristararms.com/series/yout ... -g2-youth/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

df wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:

Ditto on the 1100.

Absolutely. Very good used 1100s are reasonably priced.

These are just the first two on gunbroker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875712483

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875578615

On second thought that upland special is a better gun for me than your grandson.

Opps, didn’t see the polychoke on the other, maybe not that one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Patently Obvious wrote:
Tristar makes guns specifically sized for young shooters. I’d start there.

https://www.tristararms.com/series/yout ... -g2-youth/

I bought one of these TriStar youth packages several years ago and both of my kids learned on it. Came with a 24" barrel (plus a threaded extender) and two stocks.

The kids were older, I think 12 and 13 when they were learning, but maybe they run small.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:57 am 
Crown Grade

If weight is the concern, inertia guns are lighter, and not much beats the 20ga youth Montefeltro. 24"bbl, choke tubes, 3"chamber, shim kit to get the fit right (this will change as he gets older). My wife shoots lights out with hers, and I haven't heard of any complaints about recoil. There are some uuuuh... folks on here that will claim to have been hit by Mike Tyson in the shoulder every time they pull the trigger on an inertia gun. These are grown people, lol. My wife is a small gal. It doesn't bother her.

When that young man grows a little taller, the standard adult sized stock can be added. They sell a version with both stocks as well I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:39 am 
Limited Edition

df wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:

Ditto on the 1100.

I,m for the used 1100 remi also. When your grandson grows out of the gun , you will probably get what you paid for it. Parts availability is great , The other guns are OK, But why buy a Turkeish gun when you can have an American icon. You can get new wood for it if you need to cut the stock down for him. As far as recoil, he won't even notice it. Both my daughters learned on a 1100 20 gauge, They both lovedthe gun. I have had Browning auto's and I sell them and still shoot the 1100 I have. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:45 am 
Diamond Grade

I'd look for a used Beretta or Benelli (lighter weight than Remington models?) and a youth-sized stock or wood stock you could cut down for your grandson. I think the Tristar Viper G2 is a good budget gun if you want to buy him a new, instead of used, shotgun.

The weight might not be as important as the youth-sized stock though... We have a nine-year-old at the local skeet club who is shooting very well with a Remington autoloader fitted with a youth-sized synthetic stock.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am 
Crown Grade

Save a little longer (another $200) and pick up a used Beretta A400 xcel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys. A lot of good info to check out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 am 
Tournament Grade

I bough my grandson a Tri Star 20 ga youth Viper with the red receiver & synthetic stock 4 years ago . Still fits him well and he shoots it extreamly well. Gas gun, easy to clean, 3 chokes and has never malfunctioned. I bought it to start him into shotgun shooting, was not a lot of money so if he didn't like it like I do not much was invested. He shoots Trap, skeet & we do sporting clays occasionally. He will probably out grow it next year & I would upgrade for him but I Don know if I would get him another Gas S/A or a O/U. I would leave the choice to him. I know lots of shooters don't like Turkish guns but it works for us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

Tristar makes a Sporting model of their Semi Auto. It comes with all the bells & whistles to be a solid choice for several clay games. The walnut model even comes with an adjustable comb for about $855 full retail!

Since you know that they build a reliable gun and he is used to them, why not give that a try? Again, a lot of shotgun and features for the money. IMO it would be far better than to try and buy a low priced O/U. Good luck!

https://www.tristararms.com/series/viper-g2-sporting/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 am 
Field Grade

Remington 11-87 compact.
Lightweight
Short barrel
Short stock
Light recoil.
Ideal starter gun for youth
Made in USA

NRA Life Member