ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beretta 692 Black Vs 694 Purchase
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would consider the move to the 694 if it wasn't for the palm swell, it's beefy, and it's too beefy for my liking. Aesthetically it's a stunning gun, baby DT11 for sure.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I don’t understand the correlation between guns designed and intended for competition with such beefy stocks and forends. Are we supposed to believe that shotgun competitors are all giants? What’s the point? As far as palm swell goes, I think it is stupid and pointless. At best it is not noticeable. At worst it is just plain aggravating. Just dumb.

And beefy butt stocks and forends are very unattractive to people with medium size hands. I was mentioning the difference in that respect between two of my guns to a friend, and he said it was because the trimmer one was a field model. WTF difference does that make. A comfortable gun that fits shouldn’t be limited to field shooting. Trimmer just feels better to me. I’m becoming very dissatisfied in that aspect of my Brownings. They are just too bulky for my taste. I’m looking around.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mine fits fine but I take a large glove size .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:02 am 
Presentation Grade

palm swells assure a proper grip, and thus can aid and assist in a much more consistent mount. Some people like them, some people don't. To each their own.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

gdub41 wrote:
palm swells assure a proper grip, and thus can aid and assist in a much more consistent mount. Some people like them, some people don't. To each their own.

Agreed. I really like a palm swell, for the reasons you mention. I'm sure that some people don't like them, but for many they certainly are not "stupid and pointless".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:08 pm 
Limited Edition

jwgworld wrote:
gdub41 wrote:

Agreed. I really like a palm swell, for the reasons you mention. I'm sure that some people don't like them, but for many they certainly are not "stupid and pointless".

To me the position of the trigger finger on the trigger and thumb over the grip is what assures a proper grip and consistent mount. Everything comes from that. You put your trigger finger on the trigger in exactly the same way each time (like center of the finger pad) and put the thumb joint over the top of the grip and all else follows from that. Naturally the reach to the trigger from the grip has to be just right for your hand, but that is what adjustable triggers are for. The palm swell just goes along for the ride. But hey if you like it, by all means go for it. It isn’t hurting anything.