ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dare Buy a V3?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 pm 
Field Grade

Would you buy a V3 right now, today, considering the unknown future for Remington? I'm not so much concerned about warranty, but rather about support and parts. The V3 doesn't quite have the history and parts availability that other Remington models have, and that's probably what concerns me more if Remington disappears. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Dare Buy a V3?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

It could become an orphan I suppose, but with the popularity, you would think someone would want to make it. I am guessing that someone could step in and even revive the company, like happened with GM. The safe action would be to wait, I suppose. I have a couple V3 guns, think maybe I will lay in some parts, like action springs, maybe a firing pin. Probably would not hurt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

olsenjb wrote:
Would you buy a V3 right now, today, considering the unknown future for Remington? I'm not so much concerned about warranty, but rather about support and parts. The V3 doesn't quite have the history and parts availability that other Remington models have, and that's probably what concerns me more if Remington disappears. Thoughts?

You beat me to a thread on buying a Remington right now.

Guns like the 870 and 1100 will be in use a half century from now whether Remington

firearms are produced or not.

But I worry about the later successes like the V3 and Versamax's future of support.

I can't help thinking about a Turkish 870 being produced in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:32 am 
Field Grade

Jaspo01 wrote:
olsenjb wrote:

You beat me to a thread on buying a Remington right now.

Guns like the 870 and 1100 will be in use a half century from now whether Remington

firearms are produced or not.

But I worry about the later successes like the V3 and Versamax's future of support.

I can't help thinking about a Turkish 870 being produced in the future.

I have a 16 year-old son saving right now for a V3, and I'm just slightly nervous. Perhaps we'll know better what Remington's future is by the time he has the funds saved, but I was curious what others were thinking. Keep debating on whether I should steer him towards something different.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Isn't the sale this month? We should know something in a month or so I would guess.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
Isn't the sale this month? We should know something in a month or so I would guess.

cdb

Yes, the auction is this month. The ammunition division already has a stalking horse bidder. It`s a shame. Remington has both classic and successful newer designs in the marketplace, along with a commitment to customer service. Can only hope that someone will pick them up and retain the Remington brand and name.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The good thing about the V3 and the Versa Max are the comparatively simple designs; much simpler than an 1100 for example. Still, parts could be a problem. My Versa Max has been trouble free except that it has thrown a couple of bolt handles which were never found

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 am 
Crown Grade

Should know this week!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:06 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

olsenjb wrote:
Would you buy a V3 right now, today

Of course.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:24 pm 
Crown Grade

olsenjb wrote:

If you really like it, of course buy one!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sure, buy it..........the Turkish made model will have parts that will interchange I sure.

"shoot what ya like, like what ya shoot".....it's that simple!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:38 pm 
Crown Grade

longislandloco wrote:
Sure, buy it..........the Turkish made model will have parts that will interchange I sure.

Considering "the Turkish made model ", while perhaps accurate, I`m assuming is only speculation at this point.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Curious if the Versa Port system used on V3 and VersaMax has any patent or other protections at this time. Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

oyeme wrote:
Curious if the Versa Port system used on V3 and VersaMax has any patent or other protections at this time. Does anyone know?

Yes, they are covered under several patents currently in force. See US8443712B2 .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don’t understand this stigma about made in Turkey or elsewhere for that matter. It makes little difference where a product is made these days. It’s HOW it’s made that makes the difference. My iPhone was made in China for example. Lots of consumer products are made in South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan and elsewhere some high quality, some not. The same can be said for the US, and Europe. If it’s a high quality gun and at a good price who cares where it’s made?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:
I don’t understand this stigma about made in Turkey or elsewhere for that matter. It makes little difference where a product is made these days. It’s HOW it’s made that makes the difference. My iPhone was made in China for example. Lots of consumer products are made in South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan and elsewhere some high quality, some not. The same can be said for the US, and Europe. If it’s a high quality gun and at a good price who cares where it’s made?

It is ignorance and bias. Certainly, I prefer "Made in the USA" without an apology or a price premium, but on the world stage we all know (or should know) that Japan / South Korea has been a leader in electronics (not Germany or Italy), and Honda / Toyota / Hyundai / Kia make some best in class vehicles. There are principled reasons to avoid countries that use slave labor and sweat shops, of course.

My Made in USA preference hardly means I care to own a Butler, a Savage Renegauge, or a Chevy Vega. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
olsenjb wrote:

Of course.

Thanks Randy...I always appreciate your input. Might you be willing to expound some? Am I being paranoid thinking there may not be parts available, or is it just such a solid build that I shouldn't concern myself with such matters? I often over-think these things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:53 pm 
Field Grade

I have shot 11-48's, 11-58's, 1100's of all calibers in the last 45 years and never have I had a shotgun that I like better than my V-3. Mine is synthetic 28" and just handles anything I put through it from 7/8 - 1 3/8oz flawlessly. It is my go to when I go to sporting events when we have to shoot the venues shells and they are 1 1/8 as I can't take the recoil in my O/U after about 50 shots and start to flinch. My V-3 is really soft shooting and after about 5000 rounds without a hitch I may have to wonder about cleaning it....1cas
Go ahead you naysayers and tell me I am a shotgun molester...1cas :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:37 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

olsenjb wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
olsenjb wrote:

Of course.

Thanks Randy...I always appreciate your input. Might you be willing to expound some? Am I being paranoid thinking there may not be parts available, or is it just such a solid build that I shouldn't concern myself with such matters? I often over-think these things.

What parts? Parts are not a problem-- Remington tends to over-produce in that department. My V3's have been flawless and I've hunted them hard for years by now. You can get complete stock sets for less than $100; Remchokes are about as common as dirt. The V3 has been in production for over 4 years, and it isn't a limited edition. I have replaced no parts in mine.

If someone is really worried-- well, buy two of them. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 am 
Crown Grade

Yep. Best way to never need to replace a part is to have an identical gun standing by........

And for the price, if you like the gun, buying two would a a bargain.