ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beretta 694 exceeded expectations
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:28 am 
Field Grade

I was looking hard and long at the 694 a month ago. I have since stopped looking, only because pheasant season is fast approaching and I'm only shooting field guns to get ready for hunting. That being said, come January 1st, I'm sure I'll start looking heavily at them again. Everything I've read they sound like a really nice gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:27 am 
Field Grade

Perazziforever wrote:
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
I am looking really hard at a 694. I'm hung up on barrel length. I shoot a little bit of everything. I am currently shooting a Super Black Eagle 3 so this will be my first clay specific gun. Seems like everything I read suggests 32's are the new hotness. Before reading up on barrel length I was thinking 30 inch tubes. But that was based on nothing other than, "Dang, 32 inch barrels sound long!" May I ask why you chose the 30 inch model?

I am very particular about gun balance and the 30 in balanced perfectly at the hinge pin while the 32 in I shouldered was a bit front heavy. I would have gone with the 32 in. otherwise.

Thank you for the feedback. It makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 am 
Field Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
JD-Man wrote:
Went out today in San Antonio and it was hot and humid. Walked the course with my bag over my shoulder carrying my A400. Worked up a little sweat but it was all good. Kept my 64 year old heart pumping. :D

Is being the “new hotness” a good enough basis upon which to make a decision? How about what you like to shoot?

Since this would be my first dedicated clays gun I am unsure of what I like. That's why I asked about it. All of my shotguns are of the hunting variety. I plan to ask around my gun club to see if I can shoot a few different guns.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:33 am 
Field Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
I was looking hard and long at the 694 a month ago. I have since stopped looking, only because pheasant season is fast approaching and I'm only shooting field guns to get ready for hunting. That being said, come January 1st, I'm sure I'll start looking heavily at them again. Everything I've read they sound like a really nice gun.

I always just shot clays in order to practice for wind shooting. I do fear that switching between a few different guns will screw me up. I have been going by the "fear the man with one gun" concept.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:18 am 
Utility Grade

Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
Perazziforever wrote:
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
I am looking really hard at a 694. I'm hung up on barrel length. I shoot a little bit of everything. I am currently shooting a Super Black Eagle 3 so this will be my first clay specific gun. Seems like everything I read suggests 32's are the new hotness. Before reading up on barrel length I was thinking 30 inch tubes. But that was based on nothing other than, "Dang, 32 inch barrels sound long!" May I ask why you chose the 30 inch model?

I am very particular about gun balance and the 30 in balanced perfectly at the hinge pin while the 32 in I shouldered was a bit front heavy. I would have gone with the 32 in. otherwise.

Thank you for the feedback. It makes a lot of sense.

I forgot to mention that in addition to gun balance, I also want my overall gun weight to be around 8.5 lbs and the weight to be centered between my hands (vs the dumbbell weight distribution you could get if you went too far with stock/barrel weight adjustments).

I shouldered both Blaser F16 and Browning 725 and I found both of them a bit too light (7.8 - 7.9 lbs) for clay.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:47 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.