ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 694 help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 am 
Field Grade

I am currently looking at getting a dedicated clays gun. I shoot a little bit of everything (skeet, sporting clays, wobble trap, trap, 5-stand). At the moment I do not shoot competitively but would like to pursue it in the near future (I prefer skeet and sporting clays). Here is a little history on my shotgunning. I am currently shooting a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3. I shoot clays mostly to sharpen my skills for wing shooting. I used to have a Browning Citori 625 Feather that I used for pheasant hunting. We did not get along. It fit well but I hated the safety lever. I would constantly switch barrels as I took the safety off when a pheasant flushed. I also had problems with the trigger. Sometimes I had trouble getting the 2nd shot to go off. After a little research I found that it's called trapping the trigger and Brownings are known for it. I have shot lots of guns and lots of shotguns and never had that problem with any other gun. So I am afraid to get another Citori. It seems like everybody at my club has Brownings. So my search has lead me to a Beretta 694. Before the 694 came out I was considering a 68-something. But I think I prefer the newer chokes and barrels of the 694 (marketing has got me). I was hoping to get some opinions from you guys.

I was finally able to find a 694 in a local gun shop. It was a 30 inch B-fast model. It was difficult to get a great feel for how it fits since the shop has a trigger lock on it and several shims in the cheek piece making me see a lot more rib than I am used to. They were unwilling to remove the lock or shims. I know the best way to make a decision is to shoot a 694 but it is kind of unlikely to find one to shoot (unless someone hear lives near Northern IL). Here are some of my questions/concerns for such a large purchase.

1 - I am having a hard time choosing a barrel length. Everything I read points to 32's being the new hotness. Before I read up on the subject I was leaning towards 30 inch barrels. But it was based on nothing other than, "Dang, 32's sound long!"

2 - It seems like a no-brainer to get the B-fast model with the adjustable comb right? Especially since I am unable to shoulder one with the standard stock.

3 - I have read and watched all the 694 reviews I can find. Does anybody have anything to add? Personal experience or opinion is welcome.

4 - How much rib should I be seeing when mounted? I have always been taught that you should look straight down the rib and stack your 2 beads in a figure 8. I have seen some guys at my club have their guns set up to see a lot a rib in order to float the bird. Everyone online says the Super Black Eagle 3 shoots high and I shoot well with it. So maybe a trip to the pattern board to adjust the 694 to shot the same POI as the SBE3? I am a little afraid of a new gun. After selling my Citori was was going with the "fear the man with one gun" concept....

5 - Is there any other gun I should be looking at? I would not consider a used gun, new only.

Sorry for the long and somewhat rambling post. PLEASE HELP!

Post subject: Beretta 694 help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:16 am 
Diamond Grade

I’d add the Browning 725 Sporting to your list. Some will suggest looking at Caesar Guerini as well.

32” is the overwhelming majority of what you’ll see at tourneys. If you’re average sized or bigger I think it’s a safe choice and much easier to sell/trade later if you get the itch.

Do you have any other dealers within a few hours? I’d prefer to buy from one that is customer oriented.

Benelli ramped rib guns tend to require floating the bird a bit IME and the corresponding o/u design would be something with a similar rib design. Often called a ‘mid rib’. Zoli (a bit above your current price range but an entirely different level of quality) has one which I owned and dearly loved. Blaser F3 vantage would be very similar and more expensive. Browning has the CX which is gonna be the budget choice for a ramped rib clays gun.

Post subject: Re: Beretta 694 help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Btw the safety on a clays gun is of no consequence as you won’t use it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:54 am 
Limited Edition

Sporting guns do not USUALLY have automatic safeties. If you don’t engage it, it won’t be engaged. Just watch out for an exception in the gun you may want to buy.

Secondly the new 68X guns have the newest barrel models and HP chokes with a few exceptions scattered here and there in the market. If you take care to avoid those, you should get what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am 
Field Grade

The Beretta 694 seems to be a hit with a lot of people although I have personally not yet handled one. I have an Etchen 687 Signature Series Sporting with adjustable comb which I like the feel of just a little bit better than the several Citori shotguns I've owned in the past. And that's just personal opinion.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/etchen-s ... 32-barrels

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

Barrel length does tend to lean toward the 32" at present and the last three shotguns I've bought had that length. But, your body type and size can help dictate that. I'm 6'2" tall with a lean build and long arms so the 32" feels a bit better for me than the 30" barrels I own or have owned in the past. Here is one man's opinion:

https://nssa-nsca.org/blog/2017/08/21/a ... el-length/

Several guns out there in the price range you are looking at. I think some of the Browning Citori shotguns are stand out bargains considering quality and value for dollar spent. As mentioned already the Browning 725 is liked by many. The Guerini Summit and Summit Ascent is another liked by many and has a much, much better warranty and highly praised customer service than either Beretta or Browning. I have a Summit Ascent but have had little chance to shoot it so far. Fit and finish is better than any shotgun I've owned with only one exception being the Guerini's equal.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

OP, good luck with whatever you choose and may you shoot it in good health.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you can find one look at the Blaser F16. Trigger is outstanding and after 12,000 rounds mine still feels pretty solid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:49 pm 
Field Grade

Failed to mention in my first post, but I would not do business with a dealer who refused to remove the trigger lock from an expensive shotgun so the prospective buyer could at least get a feel for the trigger. Personal opinion, but such a dealer is unworthy of my business and money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:00 am 
Field Grade

Thank you everyone for trying to wade through all my questions and providing some solid advice.

I am 6'3" so all the gun shops I talked to (Coles, Etchen and Cove Creek) said 32s would be fine. One guy I talked to was more of a believer in 30 inch guns. I have seen here and in other threads that a 30 inch 694 will be more balanced on the hinge pin. I'm aware I could add weights to a 32 to help with balance. I plan to shoot a 32 inch 725 Sporting this weekend just to get a feel for it and the longer tubes.

When the 725 first came out and I saw it had mechanical triggers I was hoping my Citori trigger issues had been solved. After some research it seems like the 725 has a lot of trigger issues of its own and it seems as if they are not really mechanical. It is a shame cuz the Citori I had fit me well and they seem to have a nice feature set.

I am unaware of any good dealers in my area. I'm in the northern 1/3 of Illinois if anyone knows a shop I should look into. The shop I mentioned with the trigger lock has quite the reputation around here for not being the nicest to deal with but they are the largest around so thats where I end up seeing a lot of guns.

As far as the safety selector goes, I only mention it cuz I like commonality in my guns. If the 694 works out I will be looking for the newly released 687 Silver Pigeon III for pheasant hunting. It has the newer barrel technology and chokes as mentioned by one of the replies here.

I will check out some of the other guns mentioned here as well. I've always heard to stick with the 3 B's so I do not know much about them. I have seen some of the guns mentioned before in videos though. The Gun Shop channel has a lot of good content.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I purchased my Blaster F16 from Blyth's in Valparaiso. They sent me pictures of the 4 guns they had in stock and gave me a good deal on a beautiful Grade 4 32" Shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

Find a gently used Zoli Kronos or Beretta DT10. They are in a different class than any Browning 725 or low end CG. I stay away from buying new. Way too much depreciation. I find the F16 and 725 way too light for SC's. If you can handle 32 inch barrels get them. I was at a state shoot 3 weeks ago. I saw 3 725's go down with trigger issues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:48 pm 
Field Grade

Just Target Guns in Libertyville, IL deals in nicer target shotguns and they had the 694 the last time I was in there. I don't believe they had trigger locks on them. Don Pydo with Flight & Field just above the Wisconsin border carries Beretta too I believe. Woolley guns had the 694 when they were at the North Central Regional at Northbrook.

In general, if buying a nicer shotgun from a dealer, I would recommend a dealer that focuses on them. It could be someone like the local dealers above or a big national dealer like Cole or Etchen.

I think Beretta will do well with the 694. You can definitely check out new and used offerings in that price range that are provided by other manufacturers.

I prefer 32" barrels, but pick up both if you have the chance. An adjustable comb is fine. You may or may not like the weight and feel of an adjustable comb vs a standard stock. You may or may not need much adjustment.

If you sell for a grand less than what you paid four years down the road that is just $250 a year to shoot a really nice gun that hopefully brought you lots of enjoyment. Not a big deal.

Walmart took off the trigger lock for me when I was buying a Mossberg 500. If the dealer won't do that on a $4K shotgun, that is unacceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

This is some really good info. I will look into the dealers you guys mentioned. They sound promising. I did go back to the same shop today to look at some 725 Pro Sports and again at the 694. The guy at the counter had no issue removing trigger locks this time so maybe the other employee was misinformed about their policy. I really like the feel of the 694. Now its just time to find the right wood. Buying online does have it's benefits but being able to see it in person makes it nice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:57 pm 
Field Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Find a gently used Zoli Kronos or Beretta DT10. They are in a different class than any Browning 725 or low end CG. I stay away from buying new. Way too much depreciation. I find the F16 and 725 way too light for SC's. If you can handle 32 inch barrels get them. I was at a state shoot 3 weeks ago. I saw 3 725's go down with trigger issues.

Good feedback on the trigger issues. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

known fact about the browning 725, they eat firing pins, it's not a question of "if" it's a question of when.

As mentioned there are some local dealers and or dealers in your area that are available, Flight and Field are usually at most local Northbrook shoots on site.

I would buy a 694 in person from a local dealer because of the wood situation you mentioned. The right gun will find you at the right time. I waited 6 weeks to get a 692 and passed on three because I was not happy with the wood that was on them.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I went through a similar search earlier this year. I am by no means an expert, so take it FWIW.

I was looking to add a nice sporting model to my collection as all of my existing guns are field models. As I have been getting more into clays, I felt I needed another gun, because why not?

I have a friend who only shoots Browning 725's and has the 725 sporting so I was familiar with that gun. He loves it, but it didn't feel right in my hands.

I happen to be down in Naples, FL earlier this year and had some extra time so I stopped in Cole's to check out the CG Summit Sporting. As a fan and owner of Fabarm guns, I was excited to upgrade to a CG. That one didn't feel "right" in my hands (quality is top notch). While there, the nice gentleman that was helping me (apologies to him as I forgot his name), also showed me their 686 Cole Special, which was a beautiful gun. As luck would have it, someone walked in to pick up their new 694. He was kind enough to let me shoulder it. Out of the all of the guns in the store, that one seemed to fit me the best; other guys agreed.

In the meantime, a friend suggested I check out the Blaser F16's. I was searching to find one I could handle, and ideally shoot. In the meantime I found a great slightly used 694 here in the classified and couldn't pass it up.

I shot about 20 rounds with it when I first got it, just to test it, and then hurt my back a few days later and haven't shouldered a gun since; going on almost 2 months now.

Don Pydo was mentioned in a post. If you are in Northern IL, give him a call. he is just over the boarder in WI. We spent at least 20-30 minutes on the phone and he gave me his opinion on the guns in that price range what he thought might make sense. He carries a wide variety, covering the brands I was looking at - Browning, Beretta, CG, and Blaser. He was looking to get an F16 in stock and I was going to go up and check it out (until I found my used 694).

My 694 is a 30" barrel, which I felt was long enough for me since most of my clay shooting is skeet with the occasional trap and sporting clays thrown in. Balances nice. Now if I can fix my back, I might actually be able to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:38 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks again guys! I plan to make some phone calls today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:19 pm 
Field Grade

Schnurb and gdub41,

It sounds like you guys might be local to my area. Where do you guys shoot? I joined ASC last year and have really liked their shotgun area. I'm shooting a sporting clays event there tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:52 am 
Field Grade

Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
Schnurb and gdub41,

It sounds like you guys might be local to my area. Where do you guys shoot? I joined ASC last year and have really liked their shotgun area. I'm shooting a sporting clays event there tomorrow.

I mostly shoot at Northbrook as well as Rock Ridge, Waukesha, Wern Valley, Winchester, and a few others. I would like to get to Aurora sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

I will have to look into those places. Aurora is pretty nice. They put on some events that are open to the public. The shotgun side is open on the weekends also.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
Schnurb and gdub41,

I'm in the greater Milwaukee area, but I shoot pretty much everywhere around the Wisconsin and Illinois area.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"