ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best budget O/U for college kid
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Im going into my second semester on my schools skeet and trap team and I'm wanting to move to something more oriented towards competition clays (skeet/trap/sporting clays) than my 1100 (inherited from grandfather so I want to keep round count kinda low and keep it in nice shape).

My budget is $1500 (I can't justify spending more so please don't say save more and buy x or y) and I'm most likely gonna put 2k rounds through it a year, nothing crazy, and it has to be a 12g. Our team supplies ammo and its pretty much whatever we can get our hands on, so variety of brands and loads. I've been looking in the market for the past few months and tried a bunch of different stuff and this is where I am currently at. Im just looking for advice from some seasoned shooters or owners of what I'm looking into.

New guns I've looked at

The main gun I'm looking into is the Winchester 101 ultimate sporting (bass pro exclusive). I've heard the Japanese made ones kick hard but from what I've been able to tell the FN made ones which are based on the FN sc1 don't have this problem. Im also young and not that sensitive to recoil. Ive heard fore ends cracking was a problem but supposedly they have remedied this problem. It comes with 5 extended chokes and ported barrels (bunch of guys on the team have ported guns and noise doesn't seem to be a problem in my limited experience), but it seems to be well made and has some nice features geared towards what I'm wanting to do with it.

Ive recently also found out about F.A.I.R. Carrera one, a fairly obscure Italian imported O/U that has a lot of features I really like, such as adjustable comb, extended chokes, full set of chokes, a nice case to transport it etc. I haven't been able to find many owner reviews and parts availability worries me in the future.

Im trying to stay away from Turkish guns just based on what I've heard from owners and people on my team, though I'm not completely against it if anyone has good suggestions. I know CZ makes some good stuff.

Used Guns I've looked at

Ruger Red Label, though not a "sporting gun" I've read they can take a lot of abuse and rounds and they are well within my budget. Ive handed a 20g variant and I have to say I really liked it.

Beretta 686, My father uses one in 20g and I've been able to shoot it a few times and while I know everyone seems to love them it didn't stand out to me as being worth the 2k+ price tag new and at least my fathers has scratched fairly easily. though again I have limited experience. The biggest issue is for around 1500 I can't really find a used one for that price that isn't fairly beat up or have a really high round count on it already.

Same story with the Brownings, I like them but I can't seem to find one at my price point that isn't heavily used or fairly old, and I'm trying to get something with a lot of life left or new with a warranty.

So this is where Im at, I know its a strange selection of guns but I tend to like the more unique and obscure stuff, at least with the rifles and handguns I have. Im also aware this will not be my last O/U I buy but I want something that will last a good while if not a decade or so. If there's something I haven't thought of or a gun I don't know about please let me know I'm open to consider most things, and want to learn more and hear from people with more experience.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Best budget O/U for college kid
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This choice would be fairly easy for me.
A Browning Cynergy CX is well within your budget and can do all you ask it to do.
It is also a gun I would buy if I were in your position and I might buy one anyway.
Many of these are turning up at my range and I have been observing them and their
owners progress and I have only good things to say about them.
I do think the Walnut version is the better choice but wouldn't pass on the synthetic version.
Beretta 686's are outside your budget.
I have seen a few Carrera 1's show up but the jury is out on them so far.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874787424

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875786939

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I agree about the Cynergy. They can be had within your budget.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:15 pm 
Utility Grade

awesome, I will start looking into the cynergy. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the cynergys ascetics but beggars can't be choosers especially within my budget. Out of curiosity is the win 101 simply not worth looking at in general or is the cynergy just the better of the two.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:29 pm 
Limited Edition

treys22 wrote:
awesome, I will start looking into the cynergy. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the cynergys ascetics but beggars can't be choosers especially within my budget. Out of curiosity is the win 101 simply not worth looking at in general or is the cynergy just the better of the two.

Just better rep and resale value. At your level of usage, I doubt you would see any difference in durability.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

$1,500 will buy you a used Browning CX, CXS or something like a 325,425 etc. You might not find one in that range if you look TODAY, but if you continue to look on Gunbroker EVERY DAY for the next month, you'll find one. Be sure to look at "Buy it Now" guns listed in the past 24 hours (again, look every day). When you see one and the price is right, don't hesitate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Although I have a Cynergy (Trap Combo, with the standard style all wood stock, but in grade VI) I am also put off a little by the looks, mostly because of the trigger guard shape. Last time I looked that set up was only available in blue/brown laminated wood - yuck.

But I thing that the Browning CX or one of the newer Citori's with screw in chokes and an adjustable comb would be the way to go an as pointed out, in your price range. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through plain Jane Citori skeet models.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

treys22 wrote:

2 things stand out about the 101 I don't care for.
One is it's too light at 7.2lbs. That would account for the recoil criticisms.
The Cynergy CX is 8.0 lbs. which is a good clay gun weight.
The second is you are used to shooting an 1100 which has a low but not flat rib
which is similar to what is on the Cynergy.
A flat rib like the 101 may be difficult to adjust to. It was for me.
I will also mention Miroku's (Browning O/U's)reputation for delivering excellent
barrel regulation which is an important but often overlooked feature of a quality double
barrel and a hit or miss proposition with O/U's in the Cynergy's price range.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

The only thing that I picked up in your commentary was...you own some pistols/rifles, .... other guns.

If you find "The Gun" that you want, you might consider making up the $500/$800 difference in your budget with a sale of one of your other weapons.

Life is full of choices, and sometimes, we don't like all of the choices.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

I do have other firearms but nothing I'm willing to part with at the moment. I have a few hobbies and as such I have to balance my budget between them in order to enjoy them all. that's why my budget is 1500. If I wait and save I miss out on opportunities to make friends and memories, life is short so I make do with what I currently have.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You aren't really gaining anything by paying extra for a 686 or a Citori CX.
Neither performance or reliability.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Jaspo01 wrote:
You aren't really gaining anything by paying extra for a 686 or a Citori CX.
Neither performance or reliability.

Yeah, but they're so PURTY!

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Start cruising the used racks at your local retailers---I've been getting some great deals on shotguns lately because right now everybody is buying AR's and pistols.

Picked up a 30 year old Citori that had maybe a box of shells through it---it looks brand new-- for $1395---no box or tubes other that was installed in the barrels--but have been fixing that situation in the last few weeks by getting a full set of Browning tubes and I mean all of them from cylinder to full.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:30 am 
Field Grade

SKB's?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:26 am 
Limited Edition

Seems you have done your research and in my opinion your thinking is sound. I tend to agree with others here that a Cynergy is a good choice, I'm not a big fan of the styling either but I did try one at our local club and in all honesty handling and performance seemed equal to my 725 sporting for a lot less money. Resale may not be on par with other Brownings or Berettas but should be way better than any Turkish gun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 am 
Crown Grade

There is a Cynergy posted in the classified of this forum for $1300.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:57 am 
Utility Grade

I have been searching local gun shops, pawn stores, gun broker etc and I've seen some good options come up, but nothing that has made me jump on it yet. Im going to try and handle a cynergy as I don't wanna spend the money to find out it doesn't fit me, same with any gun I end up buying. Thank you all for the info and other suggestions, I too am hoping everyone is focused on ARs and handguns right now. Most of the shops I've been to the shotguns have been left alone so maybe ill find a screaming deal, the search is half the fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

Buy whichever of the Browning 725 or Beretta 686 fits you. It'll be a little bit over your $1500 but then you won't have to replace it down the road, either.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

trey,
PM sent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
$1,500 will buy you a used Browning CX, CXS or something like a 325,425 etc. You might not find one in that range if you look TODAY, but if you continue to look on Gunbroker EVERY DAY for the next month, you'll find one. Be sure to look at "Buy it Now" guns listed in the past 24 hours (again, look every day). When you see one and the price is right, don't hesitate.

Couldn’t put it any better , you might watch the O/U’s for sale on this forum also. Good luck !