ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best budget O/U for college kid
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Everyone has opinions so here's mine. Buy a Cynergy CX. 32" barrels if you can find one if not the 30" is more common. I've had one for over 4 years and it has been flawless. I moved up to a Citori CXS and now a 725 Pro Sporting but I still enjoy shooting my Cynergy and It is my loaner gun when I take a friend shooting that has never shot an O/U

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

It is worth pointing out that 2k rounds/year will barely even break in that 1100, let alone wear it out. They were made to be used.

If you shoot it well, an 1100 is a hard gun to duplicate with respect to dimensions, handling, and feel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't understand why we're discussing the Cynergy series, as opposed to the CX/CXS. Did I miss something in the conversation?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Bladeswitcher wrote:
I don't understand why we're discussing the Cynergy series, as opposed to the CX/CXS. Did I miss something in the conversation?

Price.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Grabagun has the Beretta SP1 Sporting for sale right now for $1759 in 30" or 32". Just a heads up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Auldthymer wrote:
Bladeswitcher wrote:

Price.

I bought my 20 gauge CXS on this site for $1,550 used. I see used CX and CXS shotguns with BUY IT NOW prices below $1,500 on Gunbroker on a pretty regular basis. Just a week ago there was a CX listed with a BIN of $1,395 shipped. It went the whole run without anyone grabbing it at the BIN price and ended up selling for $1,295. It needed a new front bead, but otherwise looked nice. I paid $1,300 for one of my 325 Citoris through a Gunbroker auction.

The deals are out there, if you're willing to take the time and effort to look. As I said before, look at Gunbroker every day. Learn to use the filters. Check the new listings for BIN deals. Do that for a month and you'll see lots of good deals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:58 am 
Presentation Grade

get that college kid a Kreighoff K-80 buy once, cry once.........consider it their early graduation present.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:23 am 
Field Grade

The beat one is the one that fits you the most comfortable and hits what you’re shooting at. No need to only think of that type of shotgun. Handle and shoot as many different Manufacturers and styles you can. You want the one that fits you the best. No one else can tell you which one that is, only recommend.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shot a Cynergy 20 ga at skeet for the first time today. A fellow shooter was complaining about the trigger pull, especially on the second shot. I shoot several Browning Citori shotguns and asked to shoot his Cynergy to see what he was talking about. I couldn't have been less impressed with it. It was lighter than my 20 ga 725 Sporter, the action was loose feeling and the balance was off. I didn't like the feeling of it at all. I didn't notice any trigger issues. I would get a Citori CX over the Cynergy. The guy with the Cynergy shot my 725 and liked it much better too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have cynergy, 686 SP, Citori and Ruger RR.

Probably fit, but cynergy recoils the most but it is my dove gun. Still trying to figure out why the recoil is that much different.

Citori is heavy and a dream to shoot. Kickeez pad on it.

686 is new (son’s gun). It is very nice and close to Citori on feel. Still deciding on this one.

Ruger is my favorite but is 26 inch barrel. Breaks open with one hand and has less recoiled than any of others (Limbsaver). Since they don’t make them anymore, I let wife shoot this one. It’s the stainless steel model so I’m protecting it a bit.

So, my suggestion: used browning or beretta. I saw a 686 on here for $1400 and didn’t buy it. Big mistake.

Good luck hope this helps. Jed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:53 pm 
Limited Edition

jed1894 wrote:

Probably fit, but cynergy recoils the most but it is my dove gun. Still trying to figure out why the recoil is that much different.

686 is new (son’s gun). It is very nice and close to Citori on feel. Still deciding on this one.

Ruger is my favorite but is 26 inch barrel. Breaks open with one hand and has less recoiled than any of others (Limbsaver). Since they don’t make them anymore, I let wife shoot this one. It’s the stainless steel model so I’m protecting it a bit.

So, my suggestion: used browning or beretta. I saw a 686 on here for $1400 and didn’t buy it. Big mistake.

Without all the model specifics and gun weights and without eliminating the differences in recoil pads there is no way to use your list of guns to make any judgements about recoil. Besides, the used Browning and Beretta conclusion is not exactly a revelation. But we are talking about a near novice college student. Does that sound like someone who has the background to scope out a good value, well fitting used gun? I say go new at whatever level is affordable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
jed1894 wrote:

Without all the model specifics and gun weights and without eliminating the differences in recoil pads there is no way to use your list of guns to make any judgements about recoil. Besides, the used Browning and Beretta conclusion is not exactly a revelation. But we are talking about a near novice college student. Does that sound like someone who has the background to scope out a good value, well fitting used gun? I say go new at whatever level is affordable.

Wow! I am humbled ... very profound indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 pm 
Limited Edition

jed1894 wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
jed1894 wrote:

Wow! I am humbled ... very profound indeed.

I know, right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd stay away from the FNSC1/Winchester 101s, as they tend to be light, and more importantly, have been known to crack forearms (and repairs are sketchy).

I'd say look for a used Browning CX series or a Citori with removable chokes, or a used Beretta 686 series gun, but only if you could try them out in person to see if they fit you perfectly, as you'll be maxing out your budget to buy them and likely will be limited in what you can do to make the fit you if they don't.

Really, I'd try to find a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic (well within your budget) since it comes with a 4-way adjustable comb, an adjustable butt plate, and a recoil reducer, that way you have some adjustments to help get it to fit you. You'll even have enough cash left over to get a different thickness recoil pad if needed. You can probably find one used for about $900-1000...if you're lucky, you might find one new for about $1100.

Some people (including me) don't like the heavy, 30" ProBore barrels that come on them, especially for skeet and sporting. You can sell the ProBore barrel for about $300-350 and buy a light target contour RemChoke barrel from Midway USA for about $240, improving the gun (IMHO) and making money on the deal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:23 am 
Tournament Grade

You might consider a used Japanese manufactured SKB. They are very well made guns and currently a bargain on the used market. Although they are no longer produced, parts and service is readily available. A really nice one can be found at well under $1500.