ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinon on LH 20ga O/U
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:01 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for a LH 20ga O/U primarily for upland hunting and don't have $2K to spend so I am looking for a reasonable under $1000 gun.

I was ready to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on a CZ All Terrain Upland Ultralight and then realized that there is no LH variant. Tried to get and answer from CZ about whether it is neutral cast but I only have so much time to spend on the phone.

I noticed that the slightly heavier Drake has a Southpaw variant though it is not available with the Cerkote only in the black chrome which I understand doesn't wear super well.

Anyone know if the Upland Ultralight A/T is neutral cast?

Any other recommendations for a left handed person without keys to the mint?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Opinon on LH 20ga O/U
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

I'm a sinister person myself. As far as I know, all the CZ guns I've handled are cast for right handers. It's not much, maybe a 1/4", but it's enough to bother me. I have noticed that if you can pick through enough of them, you might find a straight one. I found such a CZ years ago on a used rack. But then stocks can be bent too.

The biggest issue is all the Turkish guns are made with cast on for righties. And unless you order a bespoke gun and wait, ain't no one making a O/U for lefties. There are a few gunmakers like Beretta and Browning that make neutral cast stocks.

Your best bet is to look for a used gun from Browning, Beretta, or Wetherby for a neutral stock. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Beretta, Browning, and Guerini all make LH shotguns. They can be found on the secondary market for under $2G's. A quick search on Guns International just turned up 2 southpaw CZ over unders in that price range. The difficulty, I think, will be finding one in 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:44 am 
Utility Grade

I shoot a LH 687 grade III Beretta in 20 gauge. I had a LH SP1 20 gauge and sold it . I regret that.
I also have or had a 20 gauge 505 Japanese SKB which my younger son talked me out of. It had a Neutral Stock. I paid 900 dollars for it on GunBroker LNIB and actually preferred it to the Beretta. Not sure if all made in Japan SKB's are neutral but I have 2 20 gauge Ithica/SKB model 100's also with neutral stocks.
Every Browning O/U I have seen has neutral stock. The only thing RH or LH is a palm swell which I don't care for.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 am 
Utility Grade

I may just pick up a mid-tier < $1K gun and use it until I can find a used higher end one at a reasonable price.
I love Brownings. I have a 2nd 12ga BPS Upland that was willed to me UNFIRED. It is nice but sort of heavy so
at some point I will just sell it rather than beat up a gun I like to look at and handle more than carry in the woods. I don't shoot clays so I am looking for a lightweight grouse & woodcock workhorse.

The CZ guns all appear to have RH cast except the Southpaw versions but none of Southpaws are particularly light. The Stevens 555 is neutral and though it doesn't seem to be anything to write home to mom about it also gets pretty good reviews as a plain Jane hunting O/H. The TriStar Trinity LT in 20ga is a 5.5lb gun which gets similar reviews to the Stevens. If I was in a place where there were big gun stores with higher turnover in used O/U I would probably stand a better change of scoring a sweet deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:20 am 
Utility Grade

TriStar support says:
The LT's have a slight 1-2 degree cast off, but for the most part they are fairly neutral

CZ says:
Our standard models are cast off approximately ¼” at the heel and 7/16” at the toe, and the left handed models are cast on for approximately the same dimensions. Currently we do not have any models for the All Terrain versions in the Southpaw variant.

Savage (Stevens) says:
They are straight (neutral) but they don't recommend any right handed firearm be shot left handed.
Why that is relevant for an O/U I am not sure particularly since their web page lists it as being ambidextrous.

Last edited by rkumetz on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Brownings are typically cast neutral which works well for LH folks like me; maybe Dickinson? They took over the S&W line and those were cast neutral

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:03 pm 
Utility Grade

There are a lot of really nice O/U's out there but I am keeping in mind that one trip could
send my acquisition sailing through space. At the very least that would lower its resale
value and make it less pretty but on the other end it could be costly to repair.

I am thinking that I would like to keep it under the $1000 mark if possible. It is kind of like
buying a new car. The first scratch hurts the most.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I think you are being too hard on the black chrome. It is far better than bluing. If you insist on Cerakote, that can’t cost too much as an after purchase upgrade just for the barrels. Not camo, just plain single color Cerakote.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
I think you are being too hard on the black chrome. It is far better than bluing. If you insist on Cerakote, that can’t cost too much as an after purchase upgrade just for the barrels. Not camo, just plain single color Cerakote.

Probably. I sometimes over analyze. The CZ Drake (available in a LH version) gets good reviews but it is also 20% (about a pound) heavier than the others I have been looking at.

This seems to be a bad time to be looking to fondle guns and see what you like because it appears that
after the toilet paper hoarders were done stocking up on that they bought out all of the handguns and ammunition. When those started running out they bought anything that would fire a projectile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

Now I am even more confused. Stopped at a place that had a few Stevens 555's and
looking down the rib the butt was noticeably off to the left on multiple guns. They
say they are straight so what gives?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Perhaps you saw some new old stock?

Personally, I find that if I assume every Turkish gun I pickup is cast for right handed shooters, I find I'm not disappointed so often.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 am 
Limited Edition

I have a LH FABARM Elos D2 and love it. But it's a $2,500 gun.

For under $1,000, your best bet is a neutral cast O/U. I shot a pair of Ruger Red Labels for 15/20 years because of the neutral cast and 1.5" drop at face, which fit me. You may want to spend some time at the used gun rack - neutral stocks were more common in the past.

The Savage/Stevens .410 I handled last week was slightly cast off, as is the Browning 725 Feather - both are marketed as being "neutral" cast. If you like something, handle it first.