ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am
Posts: 25
I'm looking for a cheap semi auto. The one's I can find are in the $500 range. Anyone with experience with both? Which would you choose? Recoil system aside, does one stand out more than the other?

Ideally I would like to get a V3 but it's a few hundred more and I'm really trying to keep the price down on this one. I guess it wouldn't have to be immediate either, but if I got the V3, I would want to put a magazine extension on too.

Thanks




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:19 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:04 pm
Posts: 425
I've had an Element Deluxe for a couple years, and put a lot of rounds through it for a while as my primary skeet and sporting clays gun.

I really have no complaints - the fit and finish are good, nothing seems to be wearing particularly even after many thousands of rounds, and it's been very reliable. Just to see how long it would go I didn't clean it for several months of target shooting, and it was about 2500 rounds before it started to stumble a bit. For a lot of applications that might be more rounds than the gun would see in a lifetime.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:10 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: New Hampshire, USA
I've only had my Element Deluxe (20 ga.) for a little over a year now, but so far it's been working out quite well. It's not my primary clays gun so I haven't all that much mileage on it, and aside from some initial break in issues it's been working fine. For the money, the fit and finish can't be beat, but I notice the prices have risen since I got mine and not all models are available at this time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:50 pm 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:09 pm
Posts: 680
Location: Oklahoma
Whipped500 wrote:
Ideally I would like to get a V3 but it's a few hundred more and I'm really trying to keep the price down on this one. I guess it wouldn't have to be immediate either, but if I got the V3, I would want to put a magazine extension on too.

I can give you no advice on the two guns you asked about but I want to give you my thoughts. If you really want the V3, wait a little longer until you can save the few hundred more. It would be worth the wait if that is what you really want.

Don't settle just to save money for an immediate purchase. That is my $00.02 and take it for what it is worth.

Good luck with your decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:46 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am
Posts: 25
RUT wrote:
I've only had my Element Deluxe (20 ga.) for a little over a year now, but so far it's been working out quite well. It's not my primary clays gun so I haven't all that much mileage on it, and aside from some initial break in issues it's been working fine. For the money, the fit and finish can't be beat, but I notice the prices have risen since I got mine and not all models are available at this time.


I just got into shotguns and clays...now I have the itch. After you said prices went up, I thought I might be looking at the wrong time since it's hunting season. Maybe I should just wait a little... maybe towards Christmas/New Years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am
Posts: 25
Specklebelly wrote:
Whipped500 wrote:
Ideally I would like to get a V3 but it's a few hundred more and I'm really trying to keep the price down on this one. I guess it wouldn't have to be immediate either, but if I got the V3, I would want to put a magazine extension on too.

I can give you no advice on the two guns you asked about but I want to give you my thoughts. If you really want the V3, wait a little longer until you can save the few hundred more. It would be worth the wait if that is what you really want.

Don't settle just to save money for an immediate purchase. That is my $00.02 and take it for what it is worth.

Good luck with your decision.


I'm really just looking for something halfway decent and dependable that I can leave in the car at all times and not worry about if it gets banged around. Also, maybe not have to worry about cleaning as well as I should.

I just picked up a browning Maxus (which is what I really wanted) that I want to keep nice.

I shot and element and I shoot it fine. The recoil is just fine to me... just didn't know if I should be looking at the SA-08 for some other reason instead? The V3 does look real nice, but I'm just looking for something cheap and halfway decent that I don't have to worry about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:07 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:09 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Mount Pleasant, Iowa
I have an Element that has barely been shot.
When I was looking for a semi auto I wanted a SA-08 but none
were available so I purchased the Element. The Element has more
recoil than I expected. The SA-08 is softer shooting but if you're young,
it probably doesn't matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:13 pm 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:23 pm
Posts: 230
Location: Colorado
If I were looking for a $500 shotgun I'd go with this one.
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/17107197


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weatherby element vs sa-08
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:04 pm
Posts: 1383
Location: Upstate NY
I picked up a couple of "cheap shotguns" in the last year or two: a TriStar Viper G2 (.410) and a Beretta A300 (12ga.). I think the A300 Outlander is the best bang for the buck.



_________________
"The freaks can't be normally formalized, nor can we be formally normalized. What we want is complete weirdification."
KD2TTM
Member: NRA, New York Rifle and Pistol Association


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 1casual, 204_ruger, Anatidae, Auldthymer, Basstar, berettaman1966, Billsnature, Bing [Bot], Bladeswitcher, casonet, chemclay, clayaddiction, Curly N, df, dlh711, ebcjr, Fasttalker27, fiver, FL-Shooter, Galaxy Flyer, geometric, Glosterboy, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], H2OFowler247, IthacaMatt, JacksBack, Jaspo01, Jeepwm69, jrmev, Kyler Hamann, LeighH, lossking, luckydogg, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mallard Cutter, McFarmer, msmith, nevermind, oldtarz, PennSkeet, Rack-N-Roy, rdk36, retired2006, Roger Gascoigne, Rooster booster, Rudolph31, sera, shacked, shovel99, Skeet_Man, smokinbarrel, smokpole, soupsandwich, T-Pee, Tidefanatic, TOM-M, twohigh, Virginian, WAGinVA, Wilfred1955, winkster2005, xsshooter, YevetS


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice