ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sub-$800 Semi Auto with the Best Trigger?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 pm 
Field Grade

Hi all,

Wondering which semi-auto that is in the under $800
range new that has the best trigger?

I was thinking in terms of either gas or inertia and models like
Tristar G2, Mossberg 930, Beretta A300, Weatherby Element,
Franchi Affinity 3, and so forth.

I am aware of the M-Carbo spring kit for the SA-20, SA-08, etc. I did one
On my wife’s Mossberg SA-20. It helped reduce the weight of the pull,
But not the crispness of the break of course.

Any insights or experience with what you thought was an exceptional
Or better than average trigger out of the box are appreciated.

Best and stay safe!

Post subject: Re: Sub-$800 Semi Auto with the Best Trigger?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:19 am 
Crown Grade

Find a pre owned Beretta 390/391 and get a trigger job from Coles. Or new, get a Beretta A300 and a Coles trigger job.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Find a pre owned Beretta 390/391 and get a trigger job from Coles. Or new, get a Beretta A300 and a Coles trigger job.

Possibly, or a V3 and not concern yourself with the trigger.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Possibly, or a V3 and not concern yourself with the trigger.

^+10 {hs# 1cas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I doubt you will get a good trigger anymore, but then I can't tell the difference between my 4 pound trigger CZ Canvasback, and my 8+ pound Browning Maxus, I actually shoot them both the same. I guess the V3 has a decent trigger.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Trigger pull is not that important in a shotgun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DEG wrote:

Where did you come up with that one?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
DEG wrote:

Because to some people it isn't, I could care less what the trigger pull is, my Maxus is north of 8 pounds, and I shoot it as well as my gun with a 4 pound trigger. Now on a rifle or handgun I am fussy about my triggers, but on a shotgun I could care less.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
DEG wrote:

Because to some people it isn't, I could care less what the trigger pull is, my Maxus is north of 8 pounds, and I shoot it as well as my gun with a 4 pound trigger. Now on a rifle or handgun I am fussy about my triggers, but on a shotgun I could care less.

cdb

I was just thinking about that the other day. I bought one of those Tristar Viper G2s in .410. It had a pretty stout trigger so I bought a trigger kit for it. I shot rounds of skeet with the gun several times before I installed the trigger kit. The kit worked well, but I don't remember noticing any difference at the skeet field.

I'm a life-long rifle and pistol shooter and did some competing with both. I shot NRA 4-position Indoor Smallbore and my Anschutz had a trigger that was just incredible. Same for the pistol trigger in my Colt 1911 race gun. When I shoot a rifle or pistol with a poor or excellent trigger, I notice it immediately. I find it very strange that in the field or at the club, I've never once noted the difference of the triggers on my shotguns; some of which are excellent and some far from it.

As a trigger snob, it really surprises me...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
DEG wrote:

Just a statement of fact.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

DEG wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
DEG wrote:

Just a statement of fact.

I wouldn’t say that it’s a fact because I find good triggers to be a pretty important part of a shotgun. Pull isn’t so much the issue though and what I think the OP is looking for is crispness. None of this sloppy/gritty stuff. My clays dedicated guns have nice crisp triggers. I e heard that the V3 has a good trigger but I hate that gun. Never fit me well and I saw a few issues on the 2 that the guys had at the club. Just not my cup of tea, but the trigger was pretty good. I was worried when I got my backup gun, an A300 Sporting, because I read so much about Berettas bad triggers. But I’ve been very happy and it’s very nice. Not a nice as my Zoli... but it’s an auto so I knew it had to be a little less crisp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:09 am 
Field Grade

So any others besides the V3 that those of you who like a good trigger consider good out of the box besides the V3 in the sub-800 dollar SA group?

I do like a better trigger. I have installed Timneys and Volquartsens in my long guns.
Some of my other shotguns have excellent triggers out of the box. My wife's SA-20 isnt so hot
even with the poundage decrease from the M-Carbo kit. Its still rough and grindy feeling.

Many thanks,

Scribe556

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:13 am 
Presentation Grade

Beretta A300 is the best value and best gun at $700. No need to buy an A400 at more than twice the price. Trigger is fine at 4.5lbs, but you can have it lightened if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:58 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="58PERAZZI"]Beretta A300 is the best value and best gun at $700. No need to buy an A400 at more than twice the price. Trigger is fine at 4.5lbs, but you can have it lightened if you want.[/quote]

Not questioning necessarily your assertion, but when someone makes a flat statement that something`s the " best ", that means to me objective, side by side operational comparisons of whatever it is that`s in question. Is that the basis of your statement, and if so, what other SAs in the $700 range did you compare the A300 to and what features make it the " best "?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

H2OFowler247 wrote:

I wouldn’t say that it’s a fact because I find good triggers to be a pretty important part of a shotgun.

Exactly why do you think they are "pretty important". What benefit do you think you achieve?

For target rifles and handguns I try to get the trigger below 3 lbs breaking as crisp as possible. I have a 22 pistol that is a reliable 1.5 lbs and it is fantastic. However, the only reason for improving the trigger was to turn a 1 inch group into a 1/4 or less inch group.

That reasoning does not apply to a shotgun. There is no benefit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

In shotguns not specifically used for slug hunting, and possibly dedicated turkey hunting, fit, weight, balance are all far more important than the trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:47 am 
Diamond Grade

My favorite, and very well respected, book on shotguns, "Shotguns and Shooting" by Michael McIntosh, has a whole chapter on triggers (actually, two chapters). So, I got the book out and did some re-reading.

He thinks they are very important. As does a society of the famous London gunmakers, whose traditional toast is, "To the trigger."

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am surprised that I don't immediately notice a difference in triggers when I shoot different shotguns. After reading the McIntosh material again, I'm thinking maybe I should be embarrassed, not surprised....

Check out this book if you don't already have it! You'll love it, no matter what you think of triggers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Once you get used to a good trigger, you can’t go back!
Trigger job required!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought a Versamax back when they just came out and I had it shipped to the FFL by where I was hunting. My first shot was at a bird as I didn't even have time to try it out first. Gosh that trigger was very heavy for the first ten or so shots and then it became smooth.

I will say this, I sure noticed it and it made a difference once the trigger became loose. After that experience, I became a believer in triggers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dr Duk wrote:
Once you get used to a good trigger, you can’t go back!
Trigger job required!

What is exactly a good trigger? When I shoot my shotguns, I don't feel or think "Damn" this trigger cost me that target, I never really notice the difference between a 4 pound trigger, and an 8+ pound trigger. I never really notice any creep. My rifles have crisp, light pulls, and I like that. Not being sarcastic, just wondering what is a "good" trigger, and will it make my 85-95 SC scores better?

cdb