ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger inertia guns M3020 and M3K
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:44 pm 
Field Grade

I'm certainly not an expert shotgun reviewer so anything you may glean from this diatribe will surely be worth at least twice what you paid to read it. I've always been a pump shotgun man. My Pawpaw started me shooting quail when I was 12 with a 16 gauge Winchester model 12 that was as slick as snot on a doorknob. From that time on I've owned, and still do, many 870s from 20 gauge Special Fields to 20 and 12 gauge Express models as well as many Mossberg 500s and 590s with a few Winchester 1200s, 1300s and an SXP thrown in the mix. A 12 gauge BPS Upland also made a quick trip through my hands but it felt like a 4X4 fence post compared to the 870 Special Fields. As I said, I'm a pump man. The few semi automatic shotguns I've had dalliances with just didn't keep the fire lit. Recently though my 12 year old nephew got a Benelli M2 20 gauge and I was smitten with its trim, svelte lines and handling. Being cheap I balked at the price but I researched the Stoeger M3020 and thought I'd take a chance. I bought the bronze ceracoat model with the walnut furniture and I must say it is quite fetching and most who've seen it agree. I wish it had a 26" barrel as opposed to a 28" but that isn't an option. I also bought, at the same time, a Stoeger M3K. The M3K was an impulse thing but so far I am happy with it too. Both guns were obtained the same day so I ran a few patches down the bores, checked the tightness of the choke tubes and headed to the range with a few hundred rounds of WalMart's best and cheapest jamtastic Universal ammo. Long story short, although it may be too late for that, neither gun bobbled a single time. Not once. The M3020 busted every bird I properly pointed it at and the 12 gauge M3K puked out hulls like an MP5 maschinepistole. Truth be told inertia guns are such simple machines it really baffles me why there is such a disparity in the price between the plastic and aluminum Benelli versus the plastic and aluminum Stoeger. I suppose time will tell if there are any long term problems but so far, so good. I do have a factory Benelli extractor on hand just in case those wily Turks try to pull a fast one on me!

Post subject: Re: Stoeger inertia guns M3020 and M3K
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Typically for bird hunting (upland and waterfowl) I use a pump, but last year I purchased a Stoeger M3000 & M3020 at the same time. Haven't shot them very much yet but hope to this season. The only opinion I have of them currently is that I like the way they handle and no issues for the short term use thus far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

For occasional use they seem to be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:18 pm 
Field Grade

Slugo wrote:
For occasional use they seem to be OK.

Have you used one more than occasionally and found them to be problematic??? They seem to be functionally identical and nearly dimensionally identical to the Benelli. Is there something specifically and uniquely inferior about the Stoeger that I should watch for? What would preclude using them more than just occasionally? Genuinely curious.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wildwood wrote:
Typically for bird hunting (upland and waterfowl) I use a pump, but last year I purchased a Stoeger M3000 & M3020 at the same time. Haven't shot them very much yet but hope to this season. The only opinion I have of them currently is that I like the way they handle and no issues for the short term use thus far.

For what it's worth I also have a Benelli Montefeltro, haven't shot it much either but currently between the two I like the Stoeger.