ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Masai Mara compared to V3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pm 
Field Grade

Besides the recoil system being different, how do the 2 compare?

It seems like the V3 is the site favorite but the Masai Mara is us up and coming.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Masai Mara compared to V3
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 pm 
Crown Grade

The question is who has side by side experience with both guns? I know one person who has.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Probably only one or two people on this forum have fired both guns and can tell you their thoughts. Possibly it’s only one person. Most aren’t finding the Retay available in stores, so it might take a minute or two to get a good volume of feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 pm 
Field Grade

I guess I should have inquired mainly about the retay.

I'm interested in an inexpensive 12 gauge but also good and reliable...I know that is asking a lot!

I was hoping there were more people that could give feedback on the retay compared to the V3 because I have read plenty about the V3 but I'm really looking for 4+1 and with everything going on with remington, it doesn't make me real comfortable yet.

With that said (and other threads I've started... hopefully not too many and annoying) I was leaning towards a Weatherby Element for $500. I almost bought it but started looking into the Masai Mara. It's $200 more but the abs case and quality looks like it's worth it? I just can't find a lot about it but saw a video and it was having loading/cycling issues but it seemed like it needed to be broken in? It have also been a 3.5" too?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:56 am 
Crown Grade

I think it’s safe to say that Randy, who has experience with both guns and thinks highly of both, is probably the best person to give you the comparative evaluation that you seek.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 am 
Crown Grade

Ive had no problems with my V3. Happy as a clam with mine!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:29 am 
Limited Edition

There are a lot of ways to slice that. A guy I shoot skeet with has a Masai Mara and loves it, another has a V3 and loves that. Other than fit and feel, which are going to be tough for any of us to judge for you, you're really down to the margins - you'll probably clean a V3 more often, they each have different styling, the V3 probably shoots a little softer.

A few years ago I went back and forth over whether to buy a Montefeltro or the Element. Obviously the Monte is the name brand, but was also almost 2x the price. The thing that sold me was the customer service - nobody had anything good to say about Berretta/Benelli customer service; conversely everybody seemed very happy with Weatherby customer service. But I haven't needed it, and to the best of my knowledge neither have the guys that bought the Retay or the V3.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 am 
Crown Grade

Win50 wrote:
There are a lot of ways to slice that. A guy I shoot skeet with has a Masai Mara and loves it, another has a V3 and loves that. Other than fit and feel, which are going to be tough for any of us to judge for you, you're really down to the margins - you'll probably clean a V3 more often, they each have different styling, the V3 probably shoots a little softer.

A few years ago I went back and forth over whether to buy a Montefeltro or the Element. Obviously the Monte is the name brand, but was also almost 2x the price. The thing that sold me was the customer service - nobody had anything good to say about Berretta/Benelli customer service; conversely everybody seemed very happy with Weatherby customer service. But I haven't needed it, and to the best of my knowledge neither have the guys that bought the Retay or the V3.

Some earlier production synthetic model V3s have had gas blowback issues, for whatever reasons. I`ve not seen a report of this in the walnut variant. In general, comments concerning Remington`s customer service ( pre-sale ) have been good to excellent. I know that`s been my personal experience. Also very early on were some reports (few ) of shearing of the cam pin in the bolt carrier. Haven`t seen that reported in a very long time. Can`t speak for the V3 synthetic, but about the only performance/mechanical issue reported with the walnut that I`m aware of is a less than butter smooth loading into the magazine. Mine requires a bit of authority when loading the second shell into the magazine. Other than that, faultless performance and would recommend to anyone. Especially at the price, a great " working man`s " field and informal clays gun. Absolutely no idea as to the Retay guns. Randy likes them both very much, I think it`s safe to say.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 am 
Crown Grade

Win50 wrote:

Some earlier production synthetic model V3s have had gas blowback issues, for whatever reasons. I`ve not seen a report of this in the walnut variant. In general, comments concerning Remington`s customer service ( pre-sale ) have been good to excellent. I know that`s been my personal experience. Also very early on were some reports (few ) of shearing of the cam pin in the bolt carrier. Haven`t seen that reported in a very long time. Can`t speak for the V3 synthetic, but about the only performance/mechanical issue reported with the walnut that I`m aware of is a less than butter smooth loading into the magazine. Mine requires a bit of authority when loading the second shell into the magazine. Other than that, faultless performance and would recommend to anyone. Especially at the price, a great " working man`s " field and informal clays gun. Absolutely no idea as to the Retay guns. Randy likes them both very much, I think it`s safe to say.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

I have never shot a Retay Masai Mara but did handle it quite a bit at a gun store where it and a Benelli Montefeltro were side by side. I own and use on a regular basis a walnut version of the V3. From that abbreviated comparison, IMO the Retay MM is a better finished gun, with a clearly superior grade of wood and a more attractive finish for both wood and the metal.

For those that want or need a slim forend, the Retay is a clear winner as its forend is very slim. The drop out trigger assembly on the Retay is a very neat feature and works perfectly. Don't know how much it would be used but it is there, and the V3 does not have that.

The magazine cut off on the V3 is a real plus for me and I use it regularly when hunting if for some reason I need to set the gun aside for any reason (lots of pee stops for old guy). It lets me quickly make the gun completely safe, without emptying the magazine. It is also very fast to get ready to fire again.

As for the V3, it is clearly my favorite do anything gun due to its super soft recoil and reliability with all types of ammo I have fed it. No way any inertia gun can compete with it in the recoil department! That is not something of importance to some, but it sure is to me.

I find the cleaning comparison a limited discriminator as my V3 is not at all difficult to maintain and does not require it very often. I think as always the feel of the gun to you and how much it appeals to you is of first importance. The difference in purchase price is approximately $400 dollars in favor of the V3 and that may be a consideration for some.

Now if you want a lightweight upland gun I think the Retay in 20 gauge would be tops when they become more available. There is no V3 to compete in that category. Good luck!