ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F16 vs 694
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been shooting my A400 Xcel this year, and I feel that it may be time to move to an O/U. I have been looking at an F16 (5,000$) and a 694 (3,900) and would like to hear some opinions on which of the two would be the better purchase. Both are 32” guns. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a new K80 this morning, but I couldn’t do it. That is just too much money for me to spend on another gun for me in my first year of shooting. I felt that a great option to get me into an O/U may be a more modestly priced gun such as the F16 or 694. Any help is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: F16 vs 694
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Both are excellent guns. Have you at least been able to handle them?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I have. The main issue I have is that I’m very tall and big. 6’6” 280 so I feel that most any gun I purchase will require modifications to fit me optimally, so it is tough for me to be able to make a decision, as I do t think any gun off the rack will fit me properly. I feel that counter sales guy is geared towards a sale, and doesn’t really care if the gun is right for me or not, which is why I thought I’d ask here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

ZE1990 wrote:
I have. The main issue I have is that I’m very tall and big. 6’6” 280 so I feel that most any gun I purchase will require modifications to fit me optimally, so it is tough for me to be able to make a decision, as I do t think any gun off the rack will fit me properly. I feel that counter sales guy is geared towards a sale, and doesn’t really care if the gun is right for me or not, which is why I thought I’d ask here.

Do you imagine we know what will fit you?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Saying which will be the "one" for you is pretty impossible,both are FINE well made and respected brands and you'll get folks opinions on THEIR take aways from them, which may not jive with your likes etc as far as fit/feel/balance etc.

Good luck in your search and good shooting on which gun you decide on. {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Auldthymer- No. I don’t. I was asking which gun is superior in everyone’s opinion. Thanks for your help though, super helpful..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Seems like an awful lot for a F16. Mine is a beautiful grade 4 for under $4000. Edit to add, just checked pricing. Looks like they've raised prices since I bought mine last year.

Last edited by fatguywithafirearm on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

ZE1990 wrote:
Auldthymer- No. I don’t. I was asking which gun is superior in everyone’s opinion. Thanks for your help though, super helpful..

Your complaint is inconsistent with your discussion of your size and low chance of a fit. You are asking people to help you pick a gun after saying that fit is the most difficult part. Damn right I was helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 am 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
ZE1990 wrote:

Your complaint is inconsistent with your discussion of your size and low chance of a fit. You are asking people to help you pick a gun after saying that fit is the most difficult part. Damn right I was helpful.

We all take turns getting to be the grouchy old man! I also asked about handling them. I don’t think you can go wrong with either gun, but fit is the key issue. We can’t answer that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:19 am 
Presentation Grade

drawdc wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
ZE1990 wrote:

We all take turns getting to be the grouchy old man! I also asked about handling them. I don’t think you can go wrong with either gun, but fit is the key issue. We can’t answer that.

Certainly I should have said what you did. I just wanted OP to focus on what he was asking. Personally I would buy the gun I liked best and then spend what it would take to make it fit me. That is just part of the cost of being in this game. As I have said before, I don’t buy in to finding a gun that fits off the rack. Sure, it can happen, but I think that whole notion leads a lot of people astray.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:23 am 
Crown Grade

We all take turns getting to be the grouchy old man! I also asked about handling them. I don’t think you can go wrong with either gun, but fit is the key issue. We can’t answer that.[/quote]
Certainly I should have said what you did. I just wanted OP to focus on what he was asking. Personally I would buy the gun I liked best and then spend what it would take to make it fit me. That is just part of the cost of being in this game. As I have said before, I don’t buy in to finding a gun that fits off the rack. Sure, it can happen, but I think that whole notion leads a lot of people astray.[/quote]

I don't disagree with you. I have had several of my guns fitted. But buying a gun that doesn't feel good to you and trying to make it right can be a problem. The closer it is to fitting and the more comfortable you are with the gun to start with is important. I shoot an F3 and the F16 feels good to me, but I would still want to have it fitted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 am 
Diamond Grade

I use the longer pad on my 694 .
Beretta may also sell a spacer .
Or make one .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

I am no champion SC shooter so take what I offer with a large shaker full of salt; but why move to an O/U from the A400?? Is it just because of the aesthetics or that is what the "cool people" shoot? You could make the A400 fit you better and maybe find you don't need or want an O/U. The money you save could be dedicated to further instruction and practice which will result in better scores.

There is also the FABARM line of target semi autos that you may want to investigate but IMO "moving on to an O/U" is NOT a prerequisite to better shooting. Good luck in whatever you choose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
ZE1990 wrote:

Funny, I read his question as “I’m going to be investing in a nice gun, and will probably have to spend some additional money for fitting/modifications....which one is the better overall gun for the investment long term”

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree VT. That’s how I read it too.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ZE-- a few thoughts.

I prefer the Beretta. More than likely , either will need to be fitted to you. It will not diminish either gun's value to be fitted. Just don't let them GLUE on a new recoil pad. Have it fitted w/ screws to the spacer &/or butt plate.

Salesmen want sales and usually don't know a wit about the guns.

Good luck.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:06 am 
Presentation Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
ZE1990 wrote:

Funny, I read his question as “I’m going to be investing in a nice gun, and will probably have to spend some additional money for fitting/modifications....which one is the better overall gun for the investment long term”

I agree when looking only at the first post. But the second post seemed to be to be saying something different. No biggee. I was just feeling a little cantankerous. No offense intended.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 am 
Presentation Grade

oyeme wrote:
I am no champion SC shooter so take what I offer with a large shaker full of salt; but why move to an O/U from the A400?? Is it just because of the aesthetics or that is what the "cool people" shoot? You could make the A400 fit you better and maybe find you don't need or want an O/U. The money you save could be dedicated to further instruction and practice which will result in better scores.

There is also the FABARM line of target semi autos that you may want to investigate but IMO "moving on to an O/U" is NOT a prerequisite to better shooting. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Real men don’t eat quiche or shoot SAs. :wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am 
Field Grade

ZE1990, where are you located? You might have some demo opportunities nearby. Numerous dealers have demo guns available just for the situation you are discussing. When I was running Cole’s in San Antonio, I had two racks full of demos and the entire National Shooting Complex for testing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Real men don’t shoot SAs??? I dare you to say that to Randy Wakeman

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith