ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Field o/u 28ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:52 am 
Field Grade

I would look at used Beretta 68X. They are out there with lots of support. They just don't wear out. And you can get matching barrels or guns later. For your use, BTW, I'd use a 20, but that's me because I don't reload 20/28.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:48 pm 
Utility Grade

For those that care, Beretta states that the height of the Baby frame as 2" and if I remember correctly the 20 ga is 2 1/8". My 28/410 combo does indeed measure 2" as verified by digital calipers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:00 pm 
Limited Edition

challer wrote:
I would look at used Beretta 68X. They are out there with lots of support. They just don't wear out. And you can get matching barrels or guns later. For your use, BTW, I'd use a 20, but that's me because I don't reload 20/28.

I agree with you on the 68X recommendation, but he said he is getting his 20ga back from his dad so a 28ga seems to make sense for him if he's into shotgun collecting and shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

No argument on the 68X Beretta 28 gauge, especially if he can source a smaller baby frame model. and that is really what he wants. Even the Beretta 28 gauge made up on the 20 gauge frame size are not "heavy" guns.

Can that be done for $1K? (the OP's desired budget). Now that's going to be tough I'd say.
28 gauge O/Us and doubles are pretty popular right now. Even the older 68X series guns have not lost much value as the new prices continued to climb and recent ones are rarely less than $1800. I got closer to $1K at around $1200 for a 1992 S686 Beretta, and the stock had some blemishes. I cannot recall one selling for $1K recently. Yes mine had the rounded fore end not the Schnabel fore end.

The mid grade FAIR guns and and the Franchi Instinct L in 28 gauge are more in the $1350 to $1700 range I believe. I don't own one but I cannot say that I have heard a lot of negatives, except for the automatic safety on the Franchi Instinct occasionally slipping and preventing a 2nd shot. A fair number of folks had the auto safety feature removed or disabled.

The cheapest solution is definitely the Franchi AL48 in 28 gauge if he wants a field semiauto. Usually less than 6 lbs in weight and occasionally available pretty cheap ($500 and less). Long recoil system like the Browning A5.

Re the Ruger Red Label 20 gauge his Dad borrowed -- I just never loved this 20 gauge model because it weighed what most 12 gauge field guns weighed. Most of the Ruger 20s that I have handled weighed 7 pounds.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... =2&t=28972

For clays, I suppose that weight might be okay and it is well built. And 20 gauge ammo is much cheaper and with more available load choices than 28 gauge. I recognize many folks love the Red Labels --- but I was not among them. The comparable Italians O/U s felt so much better balanced and livelier as field guns, at least to me. Hell my Beretta 12 gauge S686 with 26 inch tubes only weighs 6 lbs 10 oz. Why would I carry a 20 gauge field gun that weighs as much or more as a 12 gauge?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:37 pm 
Field Grade

desmobob wrote:
ZuzusPellets wrote:
No Schnabel. Just a beavertail. It's the only Beretta O/U that I own, so no point of comparison.

Just so you know, it's not a "beavertail." That would be the style found on some SxS shotguns... broad and flattened, like the tail of a beaver, vs. a thin splinter or English style fore end.

Wait! I guess I have to take that back; even Beretta refers to it as a "Beavertail." Interesting... I was always under the impression that a beavertail was something that only appeared on SxS guns. It doesn't make sense to me to refer to a conventional O/U fore end by that name. It certainly doesn't look like or is shaped like a beaver's tail, while the SxS beavertail fore end is...

Edit to add: It's Perazzi and stockandforend.com, not Beretta, who call their conventional O/U fore end a "beavertail."

Yup. Just using Beretta's designation. I fooled me too at the beginning. I agree though. Not wide like a s x s.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

ZuzusPellets wrote:
Quote:
The above was not my quote--you have misaligned quote tags. It was simslax.

I too bought a standard 686 28ga that was a baby frame (like I said maybe ~2012) and agree, it is an outstanding gun.

Sorry, MNG. I try to edit things in order to keep the quotes manageable and I am sure the misalignment problem is mine. Didn't mean to misquote you.

In any event, I am glad that we agree about this sweet gun, although I wish the comb was little higher. That's why I knew Cole's answer right away about frame size.

I've been trying to get a little more height on the comb but an adjustable comb is not possible on this gun, at least according to Coles and my regular fitter.

I finally fixed the POI on this gun. A 1/4" washer under the recoil pad at the heel fixed things at 16 yards and has not affected felt recoil.

I just ordered a pad shim to make the fix permanent.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

df wrote:
Baby frame Beretta, is my preference. Have had one many years.

Agree.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've a CZ redhead premiere (now discontinued) that has gone back twice, but the service has been phenomenal. I suspect that my warrantee will run out this year though. Would I buy another CZ? Sure, they have great support. I think their latest effort at 28 is called the teal.

My expectation about sub 1k guns is pretty low. Meaning that I don't believe they are lifetime guns with one exception, and that's the Browning BPS. On the other hand my CZ looks new, shoots well, and barring anything breaking, it should last quite a few dove and duck seasons.