ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Field o/u 28ga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I was in the same position as you several years back. I love 28ga its my favorite to shoot naturally I wanted a nice hunting gun in 28ga but being an avid clay target shooter I had my heart set on an O/U, now I already own several very high end 28's but I just could not justify taking them out in the field hunting. Plus most of my guns are heavy target guns you name it and I probably own one. Now with my target guns I am very particular about how I take care of them to not get scratches, dings, etc. but with my hunting guns for some reason I am an very rough with them so for a 28ga bird gun I wanted something I could "throw around" a little bit. I am not a semi auto fan and could never shoot them for competition but after lots of research and trying different guns I ended up with a Beretta A400 in 28ga. It has taken countless pheasant, grouse, quail and dove and I love it for hunting; super light weight, very reliable, very durable and it was cheep! I think new I paid like $1300-1400 maybe?? so for this I really could care less if it setting it on the ground, leaning up against the bard wire fence, don't have to worry about scratching it up, happy to loan it to a friend and not worry about it, etc.

If you have any friends that have one give it a go, very very nice light weight field gun you can carry all day with the reliability and reputation the A400 has proven its self to have.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 am 
Field Grade

As Dave said, you should consider a side by side for hunting. I have a CZ G2 Bobwhite 28ga that I love. I shoot a lot of clays with it and carry it all day hunting quail and am amaze at the end of the day how light it still is.
And best of all the retail price is only a little over $700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Do a "saved search" on Gunbroker for 28 gauge over unders and check it often. 6 weeks ago a New in Box Savage Milano 28ga popped up with no reserve and i ended up getting it for $605. In your price range keep an eye out of Verona 5xx models, Savage Milano, Cortano and other F.A.I.R. Rizzini models.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Wow, that Milano 28 gauge was a steal of a deal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
Wow, that Milano 28 gauge was a steal of a deal.

I got lucky. I bid a good bit more, but no one else bid it up. Most of them I see these days (which is very few) are $1000 ish.

The Veronas are a lot more common and I've missed a couple of deals on the 20ga / 28ga two barrel sets.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have had no issues with my Franchi Instinct L. I disconnected the auto safety and had an adjustable comb installed. I have shot thousands of rounds for skeet and sporting, and killed a couple dozen roosters. I am idly considering a dedicated sporting clays 28ga. It’ll probably be a Citori 725 with 30 or 32” barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Of all my shotguns, whenever I show my accumulation to anyone they will invariably pick up my Ruger Red Label 28 gauge and say oh, this is so nice.

I rarely shoot it. Sometimes it decides to not go bang for a few rounds, and every other one I’ve ever seen does the same. Ruger supposedly will still warranty the Red Label, but even Ruger can’t fix the occasional mystery click. The wavy ventilated rib looks like it was attached by drunks working under a bridge.

It’s worth the idiosyncrasies of the Ruger Red Label 28 to own one.

And it would be a perfect companion for the Ruger Red Label 20 you expect to get.

We will outlive our best guns, and someday your kids will have your 28 and their grandfather’s 20 gauge Red Labels.

Nobody needs a 28 gauge over and under, anyway.

They are strictly a dream gun.

I’ve had my dream gun 28 over and under nearly 20 years now, and it was a thousand new in the box at Jack First gun shop, Rapid City South Dakota.

They still make them used, as the old timers used to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

I have two Beretta Silver Pigeons -- a 20 gauge and a 28 gauge --both dated 1992 just before the SP1 series came out. They are both made on the 686 20 gauge frame ( not the baby frame 28 gauge). Now these two O/Us have fixed chokes (Mod over IC) and 26 inch barrels. And my barrels are a struck a little lighter and finer than the later SP1 barrels because mine are not steel shot approved or made to accommodate screw in chokes.

My 20 gauge weighs 6 lbs 1 oz.
My 28 gauge weighs 6 lbs 4 oz.

How can that be you say? How is the 20 gauge lighter?
Well they have the same 20 gauge frame and same barrel length, but the 28 gauge bores are smaller than the 20 gauge bores -- more barrel metal wall around the bore in the 28 gauge .

I bought them used for around $1200 to $1300 as I recall within the past 4 years.
Cole Gunsmithing was selling some 686 20 gauge buttstocks and fore ends on eBay for $125 as close outs so I changed the wood out and they look great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Megalodon,

As you can see a lot of people want to help you. For us to give you the best ideas we can it would help a lot if you could explain your statements about one gun pointing better than another. What do you mean by pointing? I ask because there are a lot of potential meanings for that phrase. As far as what gun, I don’t have a horse in the race. It needs to be the one you are most satisfied with. The more we understand about something the sounder our decisions. Especially it that decision costs $2000.