ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Drake, what can I do with it?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:36 pm 
Utility Grade

So my history. I hunted with family as a teen, deer here in western NY. Shotgun only. We used 12 gauge slugs and that's all I've ever really shot. My father and I got shot in an accident and my mother didn't want us hunting anymore. Well I'd like to start hunting again and my father in law pretty regularly shoots clays and I'd like to join him once in a while doing that. Convincing my wife why I need to spend hundreds on buy a gun has been another part of this puzzle. Thanks for bearing with me, here's the question.

I really like the CZ Drake and it's in my price range and I like that it's an over under. Can it be used for both slugs and birds hot for clays? I've tried to do some internet research but there's a lot of jargon I don't know. Thanks for any first hand experience you can pass along.

To clarify buying 2 guns is in no way an option lol.

Post subject: Re: CZ Drake, what can I do with it?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Drake should be able to shoot slugs with the correct choke tube, it will work for hunting, and the clay games. With the 28 inch barrel it tips the scale at 7 pounds 4 ounces, but with CZ numbers are always on the light side, and it probably weighs in at 7 1/2 to 7 3/4 pounds. It will do what you are wanting to do. It also comes in left and right handed models.

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:01 am 
Presentation Grade

You should be able to do pretty much anything you can do with 2 shells. It'll kick pretty hard throwing a slug, and make sure you have the right choke tube, but other than that should be fine.

Slugs from a smoothbore can be a little finicky in terms of accuracy. Out to 40 or 50 yds it probably doesn't matter, but it won't be as accurate as a rifled barrel at longer ranges. If you go for the Drake, buy a few different kinds of slugs and find some paper so you know where the slugs are going.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:59 am 
Utility Grade

Hey guys thank you so much for the replies!

so we hunting pretty forested areas here so I don't think 40 to 50 yards would be a big problem.

As for chokes I don't have a lot of knowledge. My family never hunted waterfowl or used buckshot.

Are chokes fairly easy to put in and take out?

What choke would I use for slugs and what would I use for birdshot to shoot clays?

Thank you again so much!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CZ shotguns come with 5 choke tubes, Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Improved Cylinder, and Cylinder. I would use the Cylinder for slugs. The choke tubes screw in, they come with a choke wrench. Put a little anti-seize on the threads when changing them. I put in a Light Modified choke tube and leave it in for Sporting Clays, maybe Improved Modified, or Full for trap. I really don’t shoot skeet, when I did, I used Improved Cylinder. For hunting, depends on the range you will be doing your shooting at.

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

What is your budget? I don't know how much Drakes cost. Nothing wrong with a Drake, but there may be other very good options in the used gun market for your entry (re-entry) into the shotgun sports.

For example, a Remington 870 or 1100 (among other brands and models) with a slug barrel for deer, and the option for a second barrel for clay sports. Having just one barrel would work too. There are untold numbers of champion shooters and successful hunters using them. They are iconic, pragmatic, classics, which are often used for lifetimes.

Good luck and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not sure what tubes match the CZ tubes, but many manufacturers make after market rifled choke tubes. Work best with sabot slugs. General conversations seem to indicate improved accuracy .

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, then his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sneem2 wrote:
Not sure what tubes match the CZ tubes, but many manufacturers make after market rifled choke tubes. Work best with sabot slugs. General conversations seem to indicate improved accuracy .

The tubes that match all my CZ 12 Ga guns, are the Ber/Ben tubes.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:33 pm 
Crown Grade

If I had to do what you are suggesting, I'd do it with a Remington 870. You can have a choke tubed smooth barrel for any size shot, as well as a slug barrel with rifle sights or even a scope for slugs. You could even get 2 stocks at some time in the future that would help make the gun far more accurate to shoot. There are several million 870's in the world with more accessories than imaginable, to make the gun anything you want it to. No other shotgun comes close. Guns and accessories are very reasonable priced as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:54 am 
Presentation Grade

I love the CZ doubles and have a Bobwhite G2. I guess I would call it the SxS equal to the drake. That said, if it was my only gun, It would not be the one I chose for everything. For that I'd go to an 870 or 1100. With the choices in barrels being an intant swap, there is nothing I can't do with one. I have an 870 in 12ga set up for deer/defense, an 870 in 20ga with remchokes as a do all gun, and an 1100 with multiple barrels that will fit any sporting need.

That said, I truly enjoy the double gun for bird hunting and informal clay targets. I have no plans of ever selling it, but for a do all gun, it is not the right tool for the job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:56 pm 
Field Grade

If you see the need to shoot a deer with slugs? I'd recommend a pump action combo, gives you two barrels, one for shot the other for slugs. Considering Remington is in play ATM, I'd say a Mossberg 500 combo for about $400'ish on a good day. The drake is a great choice for most stuff, but not at all a slug gun. IMHO Most people would be all over the target at 40 yards. If you had a rifled barrel (like in the combo) you can shoot sabot slugs and hold 2" groups at 100 yards, and it's really a great little deer gun. again IMHO and again the drake is a great little gun for most stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

A poster has a new CZ Drake on sale in the SW O/U Classifieds for $500. I would recommend instead buy a good condition used Remington 870 that takes choke tubes. That would take care of your need for a hunting and occasional clays gun and save you some money. With what's left, find a used 870 rifled barrel (think gun show or e-bay) and spend whats left over on Lightfield slugs and hunting and target shot shells. You should be able to do this with no more than $500. Good luck! -----

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mikerocguy wrote:
My father and I got shot in an accident and my mother didn't want us hunting anymore.

Mike - You can't just gloss over this, please elaborate to fix my curiosity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
Mikerocguy wrote:
My father and I got shot in an accident and my mother didn't want us hunting anymore.

Mike - You can't just gloss over this, please elaborate to fix my curiosity.

I am interested in this as well. Shot with bird shot at a distance is one thing. Shot with a slug while deer hunting would be a completely different outcome.