ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Do It All shotgun?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it’s not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don’t offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks,

John

Post subject: Re: Best Do It All shotgun?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Our new President endorsed a double barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Virginian wrote:
Our new President endorsed a double barrel.

That pretty much rules a double out...

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:28 pm 
Field Grade

Well, there will never be a correct answer for what is the Best of most anything and certainly not Best all around shotgun. There are a number of Good all around shotguns, but no such thing as the Best. It might help people with recommendations if you have a budget ceiling which you can share.

If you are not a shotgun guy I'll guess that you will want a semi-automatic rather than a pump, which requires some skill or at least familiarity for fast rising birds like quail. There are a number of semi-autos from reputable makers such as Beretta, Browning, Fabarm, Winchester and others. Until recently Remington would have been in that list, but are now out of the gun making business for the time being and quite possibly permanently. I would not bet on that brand horse. There are also some brands and models that may be iffy so its good to stay with known quality makers.

Since I'm mostly a break action shotgun shooter I'll leave specific recommendation to the others with more recent semi-auto experience. I haven't bought a semi since my own Beretta 390 and I don't even shoot it that much.

Randy Wakeman Outdoors has a big list of articles under his Shotgun and Wingshooting section, which has some good information that might be helpful to you.

You should get some good recommendations from forum members here. Good luck and make you shoot your choice in good health.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Beretta A400 is a good all around gun and has nice looking fake wood.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I was forced to pick only one as I was running out of my burning house, I’d probably die trying to decide on one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

The 12 bore that I needed/wanted for waterfowl, would not be a prime dove or quail gun.
One gun does it all - used to be a pump gun with a Modified choke barrel, back when money was tight.
I'd say a 20 gauge double would be the ideal Upland gun.
A heavier 12 gauge gun is better in the Goose out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you're really looking for a handsome, versatile shotgun you might have to give a pump some consideration. A wingmaster is hard to beat for just about anything from clays to rabbits to deer, and they're sharp and reliable. An Ithaca 37 would be in the same category.

If I'm running from my burning house and looking at the prospect of either defending myself or hunting for food, I'm probably grabbing one of the Wingmasters.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not sure of your budget but I would say take a look at the Fabarm L4S Initial hunter. Light and reliable for upland and Steel Shot can be used through all chokes for waterfowl. My choice was the Grey Hunter and so far I'm pleased with the results.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have 3 models of Fabarms but they are target guns so not much help there.. Fabarm makes a quality shotgun with great customer service.If you have a problem a gunsmith will call you back the same day. They are not a cheap shotgun but less than the B guns and fairly priced. The new ones come with a 5 year warranty and a free hat! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:51 pm 
Crown Grade

fatguywithafirearm wrote:
Not sure of your budget but I would say take a look at the Fabarm L4S Initial hunter. Light and reliable for upland and Steel Shot can be used through all chokes for waterfowl. My choice was the Grey Hunter and so far I'm pleased with the results.

X2 on the L4S IH. Mine has been an excellent informal clays and dove gun. I added a bit of forward weight as most of my shooting tends to be swinging as opposed to straight away flushing game.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:04 pm 
Limited Edition

IMO, its hard to beat a Benelli m2. I have a 24" that I have used for years shooting upland and occasional waterfowl hunting. Its lightweight, takes a beating and is reliable. Beretta A400/300 also would be a great option. Both options come in fake wood but for use in the duck or goose blind that is not ideal IMO. Fabarm make great guns, higher quality than either of the previous mentioned but a wood flavored version is too nice to take waterfowl hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would sure hate to have a L4S in a duck blind. Way too nice of a gun to get scratched in a blind or mud in the chamber.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
I would sure hate to have a L4S in a duck blind. Way too nice of a gun to get scratched in a blind or mud in the chamber.

While it could do the job functionally, I have to agree! There is indeed a place for synthetics!

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:

While it could do the job functionally, I have to agree! There is indeed a place for synthetics!

I’ve never understood that. So, start out ugly and stay that way. Or start out beautiful and gradually earn the bumps and bruises that make it your own.

Just glad everyone doesn’t like what I like.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Narrow it down to three models from the opinions you get here.

Then go handle them to see which one fits you.

Chances are that not all three will.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:14 am 
Field Grade

A pump shotgun will do everything you need to do and more. Low maintenance, reliable, and you are in control of the action. You seem to already be fond of a auto, so buy that one, or if funds allow buy a Super Black Eagle those are great guns.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:34 am 
Presentation Grade

For your requirements, a Used beretta 391, Urika 2 sporting. Usually can find them in theM in good condition in the 1200 range.

Also take a look at the Beretta upland A400, there was one for sale for a great price on this site.

The Fabarm l4s is also nice, but the sporting only takes 2 3/4” shells. The Fabarm artificial wood finish is the nicest looking out there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

McFarmer wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:

I’ve never understood that. So, start out ugly and stay that way. Or start out beautiful and gradually earn the bumps and bruises that make it your own.

Nothing wrong with an ugly gun, I have plenty. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

McFarmer wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:

Well said!