ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stoeger M3000 or Beretta A300?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

I can only comment on the A300 and then in general on gas autos. Regarding cleaning, does a gas auto require more? Most likely, yes. But more is a very relative term. I could years ago I hunted all season with my A300 out of a kayak. I would paddle around with it in the bottom of the kayak and apparently, it picked up a lot of crap. One day, I had a single failure to cycle so figured I should clean it. I took a small handful of leaves and twigs out of the action. It was a total mess but the gun would still cycle. It's cycled hundreds of rounds between cleanings with no failures. Same with my Remington 1100 which has an undeserved reputation of fouling easily. I wanted to test that, so I decided I was not going to clean it, other than an external wipe down, until if stopped working. After 5-600 rounds I never failed and guilt took over so I cleaned it. So, does a gas gun need more cleaning? Maybe but unless you intended to do almost not regular cleaning it is a total non issue.

I do have a bud with a black A300 and the finish does not seem as durable and the camo gun I have. He got a few scratches around the muzzle and it started to rust. No issues with mine.

But, if the Beretta is truly out of your budget, consider the Tristar Viper G2. Yes, the a made in Turkey but I have the Mossberg 20 ga version that was made in the same place and it is a great gun. Have a friend that got a Tristar, 20 ga again, for his son with no issues. As I understand it, it is a copy of an older Beretta action and seems to be very reliable