ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Upland Ultralight-Can't Hit Squat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:40 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a CZ Upland Ultralight about 6 months ago, and I continue to struggle hitting anything with it. I own 5 other shotguns from various manufacturers (Remington, Winchester, Benelli, Beretta), and have no problems breaking clays and hitting birds with any of them. But no matter how much I practice and try, I still can only hit maybe 75% of clays going straight away, and maybe 25% of crossing clays. I used it on a Hun hunt recently, and was so frustrated afterwards that I'm ready to sell it.

Any thoughts on anything I could try before selling this off and trying something different? I've tried after-market chokes and various shells, but no luck. I really like the gun if I could just hit anything with it.

Let me preface this by saying I know what I bought when I got a CZ. I got it mainly for beating up on the chukar hills...somewhere I didn't want to take my Beretta. But still...seems I should be able to hit something with it.

Thanks for any ideas you might offer.

Post subject: Re: CZ Upland Ultralight-Can't Hit Squat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Too light and whippy?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:51 pm 
Field Grade

lossking wrote:
Too light and whippy?

Perhaps. It's 5lb 8oz. My Beretta is 6lb 2oz, and I can hit everything with it, so not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Have you done the 16 yard patterning drill to check gun fit?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:19 pm 
Field Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
Have you done the 16 yard patterning drill to check gun fit?

I have not...that's not something I'm familiar with. Just pattern it on a board from 16 yards?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

You definitely should pattern the gun. I was with a group a couple of months ago where one person was shooting a CZ American. A couple of the very experienced shooters felt like something wasn't right based on the misses. Pattern board showed almost 50/50 on the bottom barrel and 90/10 on the top. Over and over again with a couple of folks shooting it. Barrel regulation is more of an issue with cheap over/unders than their owners want to admit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Too light and whippy?

Probably!
May also be a barrel regulation issue?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Down in the Huglu forum he said his wife can break clay targets all day long with it, more likely than not it is a fit issue. He needs to pattern it to find out exactly what is going on.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:42 pm 
Crown Grade

No surprise he can't hit anything with a gun that his wife shoots well! There are only 2 possible reasons: 1. She has cursed him and/or the gun. 2. The gun fits her and not him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

Oldfarmer wrote:
No surprise he can't hit anything with a gun that his wife shoots well! There are only 2 possible reasons: 1. She has cursed him and/or the gun. 2. The gun fits her and not him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Probably reason #1 I'm guessing.

Sorry...I forgot to mention that point here. My wife picked it up last week, and couldn't miss with it. That's what made me lean towards a "fitment" issue. Regardless, I'm going to take everyone's advice and pattern it and see if there's a barrel regulation issue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Consider that her out shooting you once in a while, might add a new spark to late night bedroom games. But if you really need to score better with this gun, a breast implant may be your way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many years ago I had a little Beretta Golden Snipe. Beautiful gun in a red velvet lined mahogany case with two sets of barrels. Couldn't hit a barn standing inside it with that gun. Sold it to a friend who fell in love with it and could shoot it well. Last time I saw him he still has it and still loves it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Your wife could just be lucky in matching the gun's particulars....which can be swell.

Fit tho is the easy answer re you, pattern placement is likely less an odds on but any difficulty may simply be an overpowering of a very light gun.
Which often leads to lifting the head, stopping the swing, arcing the barrels down on the follow-thru, thinking too much and all sorts of moves to miss.

Just an idea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:07 am 
Limited Edition

Short barreled, light weight guns can be a challenge to learn to shoot. I have 4 Browning's that I hunt with (3 Upland Specials and 1 Superlight) and the 24" barrels of the Uplands took a while to get used to and be able to hit a target consistently. Once you figure them out and adjust your shooting style they are a pleasure to carry and shoot....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just park it and shoot the Beretta. Or sell it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

This is too easy. Let it be your wife's dedicated gun, while you get to go shopping for something that is "better suited" for you! Win-Win!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

Definitely pattern it first. Should you decide to sell it please message me, I'm looking to buy one.

"Stand up Chuck, let 'em see ya!" – Jackass Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair. Columbia, MO (9/12/08)