ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Side by side shooters?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am 
Tournament Grade

For years, the only SxS I ever shot was one that I picked up in a trade about 35 years ago. I had little interest in the gun,(model 23 Win), and sold it after a short time. Having grown up using pumps and autos, I viewed the SxS as sort of an antiquated design for a gun. In a way that is true, back in the flintlock days the only way to get a second shot was to have another barrel. For most of my bird hunting/shooting life, my view of the SxS has been that these are sort of a fashion statement for the well heeled. For years the nice ones have been outrageously priced, most hand made things are nowadays.

Lately the SxS is seeing a little resurgence. More are available at lower cost and I see them every Now and then in my area. I have had opportunity to shoot a few of them. To my surprise I shoot them well and it has me thinking about acquiring one. Maybe a 20 for pheasants and chukar. But, I’m far from rich and need to limit the cost of my “toys”. On a budget of say <$2k, new or used, what would be your choice?

Post subject: Re: Side by side shooters?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:37 am 
Crown Grade

For casual use, the Dickinson from Cabelas or the CZ would be a good choice for new. Used, a Ugartechea (Uggie) would fit the bill.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Spanish guns--boxlocks--used --will fit this price range. I have one over 20 yrs old that's a great shooter.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I love my CZ Sharptail, but did not like the Ringneck that I had (Terrible triggers on the Ringneck, corrected on the Sharptail. Screw in chokes, etc. for under $1000 at most stores. Also like my small frame SKB, under $2,000. I had one Yildiz but really disliked it and sold it, but it was the lease expensive of the bunch - Under $600. I have a Fabarm from when H&K imported them, which is a LION I and I like it. Was $1,000. Got a 16 gauge from F.A.I.R. Rizini, Islide for under $2,000 which I like a lot, but my favorite is my Silverhawk Beretta, but they run around $3,500 used. All the other prices above were for new guns.

Bob

Last edited by rkittine on Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I missed a nice deal on a cz bobwhite because I am unfamiliar with it. You snooze, you lose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:19 pm 
Limited Edition

F.A.I.R. Iside. I believe they are the largest makers of SxS in the world (at least I heard that at opne point).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

I own a CZ Bobwhite (old model), a sidelock Merkel 147SLE, 2 Beretta model 410s, a Ugartechia, a 311 20 ga. Stevens, 5, LC Smiths & a DeHann SO. The CZ Bobwhite is hard to beat in the bang for the buck competition. Mine is the old model. The G2 could be better but I like mine. The next step up in a new gun, from what I know is pretty costly. With used guns, finding one that hasn't been shot to death or abused can be a problem, however they can be a very good value. LC Smiths can usually be found at more reasonable prices simply because there were so many more of them made & therefore have less collector value. European guns like Merkels, Sig Sours & some Spanish guns can be great. This isn't a rundown on the new & used shotgun market by any means, just what I can think of that I like. I like my Berettas, in fact I like all my guns but others may have different preferences.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've been pleasantly surprised by an old Stevens 311 I picked up. It looks a little rough, but locks up tight. And once I opened up the chokes a bit, it's a fun skeet or sporting clays gun. That gun was $300 out the door.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Win50 wrote:
I've been pleasantly surprised by an old Stevens 311 I picked up. It looks a little rough, but locks up tight. And once I opened up the chokes a bit, it's a fun skeet or sporting clays gun. That gun was $300 out the door.

There are a number of those on GB in the $300-$500 range. I would love to get by that cheap and have a US gun to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

There are a lot of doubles for sale in your price range. Prices for many used English/European guns have dropped considerably in the last 10 years. While top end English sidelock guns have held value, high quality boxlocks are readily available under 2K. This is especially true if you can be satisfied with non-ejector guns. I suggest a review of Guns International, Vintage Doubles, or Hill Rod and Gun Co. There are more dealers out there, you’ll need to search. Don’t overlook Spanish or Italian doubles.

New guns in your price range include CZ, Tristar, FAIR, and Dickinson. Whatever you end up with I hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I picked up a 1978 Browning BSS 12 gauge in great shape for your price range. It came with a full set of Colonial thinwall chokes, manual safety mod and single selective trigger. I just got back from shooting some SC with friends. It gets quite a bit of interest from other shooters. Fun as all getout to shoot and I even hit a bunch of the targets! :)

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I went with the SxSs I picked, because I just don't like double trigger guns and all of mine have single triggers. My purist friends though think that SxSs should always have double triggers thought. I am also not a fan of POW pistol grips, but have one and one English gripped but the others I have have regular pistol grip stocks. Again, not for the purist in some.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:22 am 
Tournament Grade

The Dickinson’s that Cabelas sells are very nice guns for the price. They would definitely meet your needs.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, then his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don’t have enough experience with the SxS to say I prefer single or double triggers but I’m inclined to think the single trigger would be more to my liking. In my research I did find out that the main idea behind the straight stock On the double trigger guns is so the shooter can easily access either trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Double triggers allow for the instant selection of choke. They are much faster and easier than a mechanical selector. This stems from an era far earlier than choke tubes. You are correct in that the straight grip is to allow the hand to move the finger from one trigger to another smoothly. From personal experience I can say its easily done. Double triggers have become my preference on double guns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 311 is the first double trigger I've had, but I found it very easy to work out. If my chokes were different it would be more useful.

The 311 is also the only gun in the closet with an automatic safety, which trips me up much more often than the double trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:11 am 
Tournament Grade

The 311s are sturdy well made guns considering how inexpensive they are. I bought a 12 gauge new in 1968 for $89. However they are not well suited for upland bird hunting due to their weight. You would be better off with a new Bobwhite G2 or a used Ugartechea. I have both in 20 gauge. Great light weight well handling guns in your price range.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Fair enough. They are hefty. But it's also a trade off on a sturdy ~$300 SxS.

Not to mention you'll look like Jed Clampitt out there...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Win50 wrote:
Fair enough. They are hefty. But it's also a trade off on a sturdy ~$300 SxS.

Not to mention you'll look like Jed Clampitt out there...

Jed Clampitt ain’t so bad. Weee-doggies a guy could look a lot worse. :s

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

"Jed" is ok. I get called "Granny". :oops: :lol:

tp (with a bunch of wiseguy "friends")

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)