ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A5 (new model) after 5 years of use.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:42 pm 
Field Grade

Well, it has been awhile since I have posted anything on here. Last time is was about my thoughts on the Sx4. It was a great gun, I sold it quite some time ago. It just was not a great gun for me in the field. Patterned great, shot great at the trap range. Just couldn't make shots like I can with this A5.

On to the point. And hopefully to help others if they so choose to purchase one or can use this to help decide if its for them.

The new style A5 is nothing like the old Automatic 5. My dad had two of them ( a light 12 and a 20ga). I am a diehard Browning owner. I just think their guns are better.

So, for starters I purchased the gun in January or so of 15' . The model I bought was the Stalker, 3 inch, with a 28" bbl. First impressions were that the hard case was nice. It holds the chokes (Invector DS, double seal with a brass ring, i like it.. It comes with ImpCyl, Mod, and Full. I thought it would be nice at this price point if you got the Light Mod and Imp Mod.) I have a pretty rugged browning shotgun case that I keep it in, but if you don't mind assembling and disassembling the gun every use then it is a nice hard case to use.

I disassembled it as far as the book says to. Cleaned the barrel, choke, trigger group, in and out of receiver, and the bolt (disassembled it too). I use a few Birchwood Casey oils (synthetic safe) and Otis dry lube in the receiver. The action felt really good. Very, very, very easily cleaned firearm. Besides dirt, blood, mud, or grasses/seeds it doesn't get very dirty. Even after extended shooting.

After shouldering it a few times I installed one of the provided shims and length of pull adjusters. It shoulders nicely. Points very well and I love the semi humpback design. It creates a, IMO, perfect sight plane to look down. The mid bead is something that I don't have an opinion on. It could get knocked off tomorrow and I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I immediately took to my patterning boards. Everything was shot at 30 yards through the factory IC, M, and Full (except steel in Full).

I shot Winchester Universals 7 1/2s, Browning Dove&Clay, Winchester Xpert #2&3 steel, Browning BB, #2&4 steel.

The factory IC is a under 25 yard choke In my opinion. This has been my experience in the past with Brownings as well. The factory Mod did best for ranges I hunt with the Universal 7 1/2 and Browning Dove&Clay, and Browning 3" #4 steel.

It and I were a hammer on doves and waterfowl. rabbits and other small game. As well as orange clays.

From 15-17 with the gun I shot Universals and Xpert steel. In 18 I decided to switch using the Browning loads (is it weird to match your guns and ammo? LOL). PROBLEMS!!! And problems with extended use. Its new trick with Browning loads was to be a one shot repeater/bolt action. I felt like was shooting a Browning Maral straight pull rifle. After a couple years of use this was not making me happy (luckily there is a 5 year 100,00 round warranty).

I first noticed it at the trap range in July. My gun was not locking back after shooting Browning Dove&Clay loads. Sometimes the bolt would slam back and bite the brass head of the shell in the receiver. I had bought 250 rounds of it. 225 gave me issues at the trap range or dove fields in September. I contacted Browning about the issue and they had me send in the last box of shells. A single shot autoloader with BROWNING ammo was laughable. Their reply after testing them was that they were normal and gave me a Visa with $25 dollars. I keep the gun clean and don't use a ton of oil. We also discussed cleaning. I just switched back to Universals and they worked fine (again laughable, because Browning and Winchester ammo are made in the same place!). Well, December rolled around and I was using the 3" #4 steel. The day in question was 15-22* outside and sleeting. This gun had been doing fine with Anything Winchester or Federal. And here again, the shells were not ejecting fully and getting bit in the receiver by the bolt or just almost. Browning Gun... Browning Ammo. It should function :x . Anyway, that day I shot a mixed bag or Drake Mallard, Golden eye, and Drake Hooded Merganser.

I get back home and run down all my bases.... Never... never once had I cleaned the action spring tube in the butt stock. So, I disassembled the gun as usual. down to the receiver void of anything but the buttstock and magazine tube. Removed the buttstock and sprayed synthetic safe Birchwood Casey action cleaner all down and around that spring tube. It sounded like an old box spring bed that needed to be pitched with i put the bolt only back into the receiver. Between the Mpro7 and Synthetic Safe BC oil it was now smoother than ever! Couldn't believe I never thought about it. After that. there is NO ammo this gun wont cycle reliably. That being said, I wish browning had made the action spring tube accessible like Benelli did instead of the roll pin used on the Browning.

All this said, I think the Browning A5 is a exceptional firearm. Stock chokes work just fine and stay remarkably clean. I would recommend that a newly purchased one be cleaned thoroughly including the action spring tube in the buttstock. Shim it to your liking and insert the length of pull adjustment spacers as needed.

I would recommend the A5 as a viable option for an all around shotgun. For me this thing is lights out on the trap range or in the field. Matt bluing is holding up great (i do have some blemishes, but this gun in a hunter, its expected) the dura touch armor coating is wearing around the front of the forearm. I accidently slammed a decoy into the buttstock and it took a small patch of Dura touch out (oh well). The Dura Touch has a great feel in cold or wet weather. Plus, it is easily cleaned with a wet rag.

I currently have a few thousand rounds + though it. Besides the hiccup that a good deep cleaning solved I have had ZERO issues with this gun. In Missouri Temps during Dove season can be in the 90s but during the time of year I hunt ducks and geese it can be 50s down to 0* or in the negatives. its worked through sleet, rain, snow and just kept on cycling. Hats off to Browning.

sorry for being long winded. thanks for the read. I hope it can help another A5 owner if they are having the issue I did.

Post subject: Re: Browning A5 (new model) after 5 years of use.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Good follow up. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:15 am 
Diamond Grade

The Achilles heel of most auto loaders unless they have the spring wrapped around mag tube. I don’t tear mine down every year, but I do use a small wood dowel and spray cleaner and hose em out as best I can working recoil spring back and forth and giving it a very light lube when done. I only fully disassemble to replace if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice post, I have an A5 Sweet Sixteen, and love it.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:14 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

Good review, thanks for taking the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Good info. I owned one of the first 3” guns to come out. I bought it used from a reputable dealer and was having problems with the bolt staying open even though there were still rounds in the magazine tube. I took it back to the dealer to send to Browning, then traded it back to them for what I had into it for a new a5, 3.5” and it has been flawless in performance.
I like these so much that I bought a 26” Sweet 16 and it does not like very light loads but anything 1 oz up it cycles very well. I hit what I look at with these guns, a good fit for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

xX point-blank Xx, well done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have the new A5 sweet 16. Have not shot it a lot, yet. It has been flawless.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

There is an as-new Browning A5 Ultimate on Gunbroker. It looks perfect. New ones go for about two grand. This is $500 lower. It has great lumber and the receiver is tastefully inscribed. No dents, user marks, or blueing wear. There also appears to be an extra choke in the case. Good deal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:43 pm 
Field Grade

Maxus owner here but have to buddies I hunt with that both bought A5's I guess 3 seasons ago. The butt pads on both started falling apart after 2 seasons and they both had to replace them. I've had my Maxus since 2011...thought they used same pad on both guns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:39 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, I try to be thorough and objective when reviewing my gear.

dwbiggs wrote:
Maxus owner here but have to buddies I hunt with that both bought A5's I guess 3 seasons ago. The butt pads on both started falling apart after 2 seasons and they both had to replace them. I've had my Maxus since 2011...thought they used same pad on both guns.

I have a Maxus also ( since 2018 I think ) They do not use the same butt pad. The Maxus uses the Inflex recoil pad made of rubber. The A5 utilizes one made of a foamy like material. similar to the benelli comfort tech stuff I believe.

I have not had this issue with my A5. But I can see that happening. It has crossed my mind to why they would not have used the, IMO, very good and stout butt pad thats on the Maxus, X-Bolts, SXPs, and SX3s.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 am 
Utility Grade

Dear Reader

I have the FN Browning A-5 purchaced in the late 1960's.
Short barrel so called riot gun. Need to have a longer barrel -28inch (71.1cm). Alternatively fitting barrel extensions? Your recommendations please. South African.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

hbaden wrote:
Dear Reader

I have the FN Browning A-5 purchaced in the late 1960's.
Short barrel so called riot gun. Need to have a longer barrel -28inch (71.1cm). Alternatively fitting barrel extensions? Your recommendations please. South African.

Hello hbaden, and welcome.

I’ve got to point out hat you posted this in the wrong place. This thread is about the new A5, not the Auto-5. I dearly wish Browning had named the new gun something else.

But I’ll try to answer your question. Unless you’re a gunsmith, you should consider the extension permanently attached to the barrel. Auto-5 barrels interchange, buy another one.