ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Woodcock G2 20ga - weight? reliability?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:03 am 
Utility Grade

Hello all,
This forum has been an amazing resource for me and I really appreciate all the knowledge being shared here.

I am looking for a 20ga O/U almost strictly for use in the field - small game, woodcock, pheasant, and the odd duck every once and again. I recently came across a CZ Woodcock G2 20ga that would be very kind to my wallet. From my understanding, the Woodcock O/U's are similar to the CZ Canvasback and, judging from another post, someone's Canvasback fired 34,000+ rounds with no issues - I like those numbers!

This is a discontinued model and I'm having a heck of a time finding any information on their weight. Stores list them at 7.4 pounds, but the 12ga is also listed at 7.4 pounds. I want to keep a 20ga at or less than 7 pounds, as I will be walking a lot with my focus game species.

Does anyone own a CZ Woodcock G2 20ga and, if so, how much does yours weigh? Is a 20ga right around 7.4 pounds going to be too much of a burden for the hunting I'd like to do?

I would also love to hear a bit more on their reliability - the posts I have read are from several years ago and seem to vary a lot, so any updates or new info would be very helpful.

Just above the top of my budget (<$1000) is my #1 choice - the Franchi Instinct L 20ga. I am still deciding if eating ramen noodles for a few weeks is worth the jump up in price...it just might be...but if that Woodcock weighs less than the store descriptions say, I'm probably going to scoop one up.

I am also considering the CZ upland ultralight 20ga, which is closer to what I want to spend.

Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: CZ Woodcock G2 20ga - weight? reliability?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My CZ O/U is very reliable, weight wise, they tend to weigh more than the advertised weight. I would verify the weight before buying.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:28 am 
Tournament Grade

If you are considering a Franchi Instinct L, you should also consider a used Beretta 686 model. I recently bought a Beretta Onyx in 20 gauge in almost new condition for the same price as a new Instinct L. It weighs just over 6 pounds. Used Berettas in very good condition are not that hard to find and at reasonable prices. A good used Beretta will last you a life time and beyond. Nothing wrong with the CZ and Franchi guns but a Beretta would be a much better buy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

The Woodcock I had several years ago had a very balky safety. Couldn’t get it turned off when the birds flushed. Sold it immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:45 am 
Field Grade

My local sporting clays range sells their used Beretta 686 rentals for $1200 .
The guns are 1 year old with about 10k rounds count and are inspected by a gunsmith.
Why not do yourself a favor and get a known reliable gun with resale value.
Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy your new gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:57 am 
Crown Grade

winmod21 wrote:
The Woodcock I had several years ago had a very balky safety. Couldn’t get it turned off when the birds flushed. Sold it immediately.

Early Huglu break action guns used a V gate safety/barrel selector that could be quite balky if side force to the desired barrel was not applied while pushing the safety off. On my 2006 Ringneck 20 ga SXS, I took the bull by the horns and disassembled the safety. I sharpened the leading edge of the safety blade where it rides in the gate of the tang and reshaped the back edge of the gate to a sharp point using fine diamond files on both pieces. On my Ringneck it is now impossible to get those sharpened edges to hang up anymore. Problem solved.

On the newer guns Huglu has gone to a Beretta style safety with a sliding barrel selector on top of the safety. The barrel selector can be accidently bumped toward the middle of the safety while in the safe position, thereby preventing the safety being moved from safe. I don't have that problem, but have seen others accidently move the selector out of the full left or right position.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:22 pm 
Field Grade

I just bought a 20ga woodcock g2 last week and we shot skeet with it in its first outing on Sunday. It is definitely heavy and wouldn’t be my choice for a field only gun. 7lb something is probably accurate. Huge noticeable difference in feel from it to a Franchi Instinct L, Stevens 555 deluxe, or Tristar that the shop also had. However, our use is mostly going to be very very casual sporting clays shooting and I’m planning on shortening the LOP. For me, I liked the quality for the money and weight wasn’t a big factor, money definitely was though. I may buy another lightweight field gun before long but it’ll be in 28.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

I have owned 2 CZ shotguns in the past and am considering a purchase of the Hammer Classic.

However, any CZ shotgun that has "34,000+ rounds with no issues" is an extremely rare exception. So rare, that I would bet money no such CZ shotgun exists.

Both of my past CZ shotguns broke and had to go back to CZ USA for repairs. One for a broken firing pin and the other for doubling. The only reason I'm even considering a Hammer Class is because I know I will not shoot it much and when it does break CZs customer service is fantastic and will quickly repair it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
winmod21 wrote:

Early Huglu break action guns used a V gate safety/barrel selector that could be quite balky if side force to the desired barrel was not applied while pushing the safety off. On my 2006 Ringneck 20 ga SXS, I took the bull by the horns and disassembled the safety. I sharpened the leading edge of the safety blade where it rides in the gate of the tang and reshaped the back edge of the gate to a sharp point using fine diamond files on both pieces. On my Ringneck it is now impossible to get those sharpened edges to hang up anymore. Problem solved.

On the newer guns Huglu has gone to a Beretta style safety with a sliding barrel selector on top of the safety. The barrel selector can be accidently bumped toward the middle of the safety while in the safe position, thereby preventing the safety being moved from safe. I don't have that problem, but have seen others accidently move the selector out of the full left or right position.

Very solid advice and explanation of the safety issue. For a field gun that will not see heavy volume, and recognizing the advice on safety above, the Woodcock should serve your needs. If you want a very light gun, you will have to pay significantly more. The Woodcock may be a little heavier than some sub $2500 options, but are a lot less expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own a 2005 20 gauge 26” Woodcock Deluxe that’s a beautiful shotgun with gorgeous walnut, that’s been as reliable as a crowbar.

It came with an adjustable Morgan pad, and weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces.

Someday I’ll strip off the polyurethane finish and redo it with boiled linseed oil, but it’s so beautiful as it is I keep on postponing that.

Mine has the color case hardened false side plates, and high grade walnut.

Best $600 I ever spent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I have 2 CZ 20ga O/U's a Teal and a Woodcock I use them for sporting clays, in that application the weight is appreciated. I also have a .410 Tri Star Setter and if I wanted a lightweight field gun I would look at the 20ga Tri Star setter the ones I have shouldered are very light. Quite affordable also, you just have to get past the finish that it comes with, nice wood but ugly clear urethane finish.
JW