ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oversize controls madness
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

IMHO ... the a400 bolt knob looks like a bugle chip. Perhaps some Beretta engineer had a case of munchies when he or she had an epiphany.

See the resemblance-
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C76197
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/po ... max/940903

For my daughters a400 it was a no brainer to switch to a Briley purple bolt knob and bolt release.

DL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:37 am 
Limited Edition

chilled shot wrote:
I like the ergonomics of the oversized release button but DON'T use the oversized bolt handle on either hunting or sporting autos.

I agree with this assessment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:23 am 
Tournament Grade

One of the reasons I joined this site is for the humor. I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, and have been cracking up at some of the responses lol.

I’ll put my two cents in on this conversation. I do completely agree that oversized controls are completely unnecessary for the average man. I know I have never needed them, no matter what conditions I’ve hunted in. However, I did add them to my new waterfowl shotgun, and I’m pleased. The one gripe I had with my VM Sportsman is the dinky bolt release. I could still hit it in cold weather, however it was not easy to do when my hands were really cold.

I added a Briley bolt handle because I like the design better than standard bolt handles. They are solid, rounded and smooth. Even though it sticks out a little further, it doesn’t snag my winter hunting clothes like the factory one does. My 18 year old daughter now hunts with my A300 Outlander. She doesn’t have the strength in her fingers to operate the bolt handle as it is. The bolt release is large enough for her to use her palm to close it, but it isn’t easy for her. I will order a briley charging handle for it as well. Still on the fence about the bolt release for the outlander.

I have no interest in the Tacticool mess either. I am in law enforcement and actually have to employ tactical techniques in my line of work. I don’t do it for sport. I can say that there is really no need for fiber optic pipes at the end of a shotgun for that purpose either. When tactically clearing a building, we don’t focus on sighting. It’s CQB. We are scanning for threats. We train to point our guns where we are looking. When you point a shotgun loaded with buckshot down a hallway, that whole hallway is covered without having to aim.

Our department wasted thousands of $ equipping our AR15s with Eotech optics. Talk about Tacticool. What a joke! Who’s got time to fiddle with holding buttons down to turn on the optic and adjust it in the heat of battle? Secondly, it’s not a powered optic. If a man can’t point a rifle at a target 10 yards away or less without sighting to hit the target, he doesn’t need to carry one. Iron sights are more effective than an EOTech for distant shots. I just didn’t see any practical application for it, so I removed the EOTech from my rifle and turned it back in after they were issued to us. Lol