ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oversize controls madness
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:51 pm 
Limited Edition

What is the deal with all the oversized bolt handles and release buttons on hunting guns recently? They look like charging handles on Browning M-2 .50 cals!!

I hunt ducks in Northern Minnesota and I've never seemed to need these oversize controls marketed as "glove/cold weather friendly". As a matter of fact I'd like to get a A400 and downsize the handle to a normal sized one to keep it from snagging on blind material.

I can understand on tactical/3-gun type shotguns, but regular hunting guns? C'mon.

Last edited by MNGunner on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Oversize controls madness
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:20 pm 
Limited Edition

In a word, TACTICOOL

As someone else on here said, they work better with a flat bill and a sticker on the barrel, maybe add in a brand patch on the back and something on the butstock too for full effect.

I hunt in some of the coldest and most miserable conditions possible, January/February by the Missouri River near Pierre and never needed it on my Winchester autos.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I like the ergonomics of the oversized release button but DON'T use the oversized bolt handle on either hunting or sporting autos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:15 am 
Crown Grade

An oversize release button is nice for those with weaker hand strength (my wife comes to mind) as it works very well using the palm of the hand. I appreciated the feature after having surgery on my thumb as I could not work the lever on my O/U nor a standard size bolt release using my thumb.

I have one of the over sized bolt handles on my primary shotgun as it is rounded and I have yet to catch and rip one of my gloves on it. I have ripped or pulled out the seam on several gloves over the years with a number of different bolts. The bolt was a feature of the gun and was something I began to appreciate sometime after buying it. I could live without it but, like my puffy, warm gloves, it is something I prefer to have.

My wife prefers the oversized bolt handle as she can get a better purchase on it to make cycling the bolt easier. Maybe the oversized controls are an afterthought concession towards any women that may chose that model of gun? Some guys might be drawn to the "coolness" while women, and some men, see operational benefits.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:34 am 
Limited Edition

chilled shot wrote:
I like the ergonomics of the oversized release button but DON'T use the oversized bolt handle on either hunting or sporting autos.

I could see that an oversided release button could be a benefit (as oversized safety too). Also they don't stick out 1.5" from the gun.

Also, notice how the oversized bolt handles are typically not offered on the same upland version of the gun. The coldest trip I ever did was a -35 degree (air temp) 12/31 grouse hunt in college. The waterfowl were long gone....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know exactly what you mean. I detest such.
I have been accused of being rabidly anti-tactical. This is not true. I still have two 1960s era M-14 magazine pouches and I am pretty sure the web belt is till around somewhere too. Ideal for candy bars, packs of Nabs, or buckshot/slugs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it sells they will put anything on a gun, the next thing will be a string of LED lights on the rib that light up like runway lights to help you get on target faster :!: :!: :!: The only thing oversized on my guns unfortunately is the owner :( :( :lol:

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 am 
Crown Grade

I don't think it has anything to do with making the shotgun more tactical. Quite simply, larger controls make the control easier to operate.

My SX3 sporting came with larger controls. While I don't have a need for the larger bolt handle, it doesn't get in my way, and my 75 year old father with arthritis in his hands thought it was a fantastic addition. The large bold release button is a fantastic improvement.

In the past I reloaded thousands of shells on a MEC jr with the tiny plastic handle with no issues. However, it was a huge improvement in operation when I purchased the larger wood handle for them and I wasn't trying to turn them into tactical reloaders.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:20 am 
Limited Edition

I succumbed to the large bolt handle movement on a Benelli and Beretta autos. No strong feelings either way. They work. Maybe more convenient. Would I do it again? Probably not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 am 
Limited Edition

cdb1097 wrote:
If it sells they will put anything on a gun, the next thing will be a string of LED lights on the rib that light up like runway lights to help you get on target faster :!: :!: :!: The only thing oversized on my guns unfortunately is the owner :( :( :lol:

cdb

:lol:

Yeah, that's another trend I hate--the massive fiber optic front sight on shotguns for moving targets (i.e. birds and clays). I had to go out of my way to get a Maxus that just had the plain white bead. For, me, I'm looking at the target and the bead just guides my eye. I find the ginormous bright green front sights distracting.

Now large fiber optic sights on a pistol, rifle or shotgun used for turkeys, deer/hogs, and defense--sure.

Last edited by MNGunner on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:21 am 
Limited Edition

...and also, how often are guys racking the bolt waterfowl hunting to need such a large handle? Many hunts I only rack the bolt handle at the end to unload the last shell (I keep the action open in the case, load up, shoot, reload--all without using the bolt handle until it's time to unload at the end of the hunt)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:32 am 
Presentation Grade

I think a lot of shooters just love gadgets. It doesn’t matter if it’s Tactical Tommy or the oh so urbane Sporting Clays shooter. They love novelties and are driven to modify their guns. Some modifications do improve the product, but some are added because everyone one else has it. Appearance for some outweighs performance.

The bane of the gun world, beside politicians, are the latest crop of assumed experts who write about guns. Whenever one of these people talk about the “cool factor” they have just reached the limit of their knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 am 
Limited Edition

cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

Better get a patent/trademark out quick on your LED runway lighting system.

Some pro staff guy probably is writing up the sales pitch as we speak. “Takes them down like a load of bricks dropped out of a 747”.

Or “nobody see’s you miss with this set up guarantee”. Because they are all trying to figure out exactly what you have on your gun.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:55 am 
Limited Edition

S.davis wrote:
I will say that tac/3gun improvements to the loading port and pinch-prone shell lifters are most welcome though, especially when gloved.

For sure!! My Maxus lifter pinches my non-gloved hands! That change totally makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Briley and other oversized bolt closers are very handy on target guns and when you are in a static, high-volume bird hunting situation like shooting dove in Argentina or someplus else where you are struggling to keep the gun loaded. I don't like them on waterfowl and upland guns, as there are many times where I want the gun to stay open and it is easy to hit them.

With the rare exception of someone with a lack of hand strength/arthritis etc. the oversized charging handles are a solution in search of a problem. And, they are prone to breaking right at the receiver and snagging on gun cases, clothing, etc. Losing/breaking a charging handle when you are out in the field can be a real PITA. I actually have spares in my hunting gun toolkit that I take on all hunting trips.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Size matters!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Perdiz wrote:
The Briley and other oversized bolt closers are very handy on target guns and when you are in a static, high-volume bird hunting situation like shooting dove in Argentina or someplus else where you are struggling to keep the gun loaded. I don't like them on waterfowl and upland guns, as there are many times where I want the gun to stay open and it is easy to hit them.

With the rare exception of someone with a lack of hand strength/arthritis etc. the oversized charging handles are a solution in search of a problem. And, they are prone to breaking right at the receiver and snagging on gun cases, clothing, etc. Losing/breaking a charging handle when you are out in the field can be a real PITA. I actually have spares in my hunting gun toolkit that I take on all hunting trips.

I agree. Although my Maxus also has speed load so the oversize bolt release is not needed on that gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:54 am 
Tournament Grade

They are a godsend for me. At 73 I have terrible arthritis and without the extra leverage would be a bit painful for sure
Especially helpful went shooting 5 stand. To each his win

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:10 am 
Crown Grade

The demand for them is very high. Almost every semi that goes through Briley has them requested. Why do you think the manufacturers start adding them as standard? If you don't like them, you are in the minority.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:25 am 
Presentation Grade

My Beretta 391 has an over-sized charging handle and bolt closure from Briley, the Remington 870 that I use for the slug season has a Wilson oversized safety. These are all good additions when hunting in cold weather while wearing heavy gloves.