ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oversize controls madness
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:25 am 
Presentation Grade

My Beretta 391 has an over-sized charging handle and bolt closure from Briley, the Remington 870 that I use for the slug season has a Wilson oversized safety. These are all good additions when hunting in cold weather while wearing heavy gloves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Oversize controls aren't doing harm. No problem with me. Not convinced about efficacy of raised ribs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

larger bolt handle is a nice feature, as a fitasc guy who shot a A400 xcel for a long time, it's a nice feature when having to unload the shell after singles.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Oversize controls would beep me from buying a shotgun, just like sling swivels have.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:58 am 
Presentation Grade

I am a fan of the Briley oversized bolt handle and bolt release button on my 390 that I use for clays...they allow me to easily operate the gun without having to search for a small OEM part that the gun maker chose without my input.

However, for my hunting 390, I prefer the oversized bolt handle, but forgo the oversized bolt release button, as this catches on too many things...and closes the bolt when I prefer to keep it open for safety’s sake.

YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been shooting SA's (Brownings, Berettas, Benellis, Remingtons) for 4 decades, for turkey, upland, clays and waterfowl now and again. I have never seen the reason for either an over-sized release button or operating handle.

The operating handle, to me, is the biggest waste of material, especially for clays. You open the bolt when you leave your vehicle and head off to shoot and then......Pull....bang, bang.....the bolt is open and stays that way until you load the shotgun again. Why would anyone need an oversize operating handle for that application?

I think these two items are more about someone wanting to customize their shotgun.

But then again that is my opinion. If someone wants those items, fine with me.......as ridiculous as they may be :mrgreen:

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

IMO the over-sized release button is a must have for the Beretta A400 Xcel and A300 Outlander. The standard button will kill your thumb in cold weather when shooting clays.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

My Affinity came with a flat oversized release button and I like it. It's easy to find but not in the way. I did replace the smooth bolt handle with a "frag" unit from MGW as the original is very smooth and slippery.
I'm an enthusiastic student of ergonomics. If something will make a task safer or easier, I'll use it.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:15 am 
Diamond Grade

MNGunner wrote:
chilled shot wrote:
I like the ergonomics of the oversized release button but DON'T use the oversized bolt handle on either hunting or sporting autos.

I could see that an oversided release button could be a benefit (as oversized safety too). Also they don't stick out 1.5" from the gun.

Also, notice how the oversized bolt handles are typically not offered on the same upland version of the gun. The coldest trip I ever did was a -35 degree (air temp) 12/31 grouse hunt in college. The waterfowl were long gone....

Larger safety and bolt release are useful with gloves. I find the extended bolt handle snags too much; especially, in a layout blind when maneuvering the gun with the doors shut getting ready for the KILL IT shout.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:39 am 
Diamond Grade

I wouldn't mind an oversize bolt release for use at the clay fields.

But for a hunting gun? I have no need for an oversized bolt release or bolt handle. After a lifetime of duck hunting, I never felt I needed anything other than what came on the gun. And I think there is a huge negative with a shotgun wearing an oversize bolt handle: damage to other guns when putting it in and out of the gun safe.

My last shotgun came with a free oversized bolt handle that was knurled all the way around. I could only picture it as a rasp waiting to tear up the wood stocks of other guns in the safe! It's still in the package.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

MNGunner wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:
If it sells they will put anything on a gun, the next thing will be a string of LED lights on the rib that light up like runway lights to help you get on target faster :!: :!: :!: The only thing oversized on my guns unfortunately is the owner :( :( :lol:

cdb

:lol:

Yeah, that's another trend I hate--the massive fiber optic front sight on shotguns for moving targets (i.e. birds and clays). I had to go out of my way to get a Maxus that just had the plain white bead. For, me, I'm looking at the target and the bead just guides my eye. I find the ginormous bright green front sights distracting.

Now large fiber optic sights on a pistol, rifle or shotgun used for turkeys, deer/hogs, and defense--sure.

For some unknown reason, SKB (Japanese ) put these obnoxious " Raybar " sights on their field O/Us. More than once I wished that they had put a simple gold or silver bead on an otherwise excellent gun.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 am 
Crown Grade

I can tell most of you have never sold guns retail. People want all this stuff. Try selling a mid price hunting gun with out a fiber optic front sight. Easy enough to remove it or put a white pipe in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drawdc,

You are correct, not too many of us are trying to sell shotguns.

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
drawdc,

You are correct, not too many of us are trying to sell shotguns.

I'm not sure how to take your response. It can certainly be taken as condescending to folks that make a living selling guns instead of being the ones buying them. I hope that wasn't your intent and I read too much into your statement.

The gun manufacturers and retailers must try and provide what the buying public will actually purchase. I sold guns for awhile as my first retirement job. It was interesting being the one dealing with someone buying a $900 Franchi instead of being the guy buying a new Blaser F3 Bonsi Scroll. Changes your perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drawdc,

I meant it with all the best intentions, meaning...I never gave a thought that the oversize controls could and would sell shotguns. I only looked at it from my own POV.

Being blue collar for my entire working life, I would never look down on anyone making an honest living.

{hs#

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I just went the other way with it. Bought an A400 and a replacement, standard sized bolt. So two gun sellers made money. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:10 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
drawdc,

I meant it with all the best intentions, meaning...I never gave a thought that the oversize controls could and would sell shotguns. I only looked at it from my own POV.

Being blue collar for my entire working life, I would never look down on anyone making an honest living.

{hs#

Thanks for your response. I took it wrong.

{hs#

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:37 am 
Diamond Grade

I like the bigger release buttons but am completely lost on those goofy looking bolt handles. Been duck hunting twenty years and as others say I typically only rack the bolt when unloading for the day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:
If it sells they will put anything on a gun, the next thing will be a string of LED lights on the rib that light up like runway lights to help you get on target faster :!: :!: :!: The only thing oversized on my guns unfortunately is the owner :( :( :lol:

cdb

:lol:

Yeah, that's another trend I hate--the massive fiber optic front sight on shotguns for moving targets (i.e. birds and clays). I had to go out of my way to get a Maxus that just had the plain white bead. For, me, I'm looking at the target and the bead just guides my eye. I find the ginormous bright green front sights distracting.

Now large fiber optic sights on a pistol, rifle or shotgun used for turkeys, deer/hogs, and defense--sure.

For some unknown reason, SKB (Japanese ) put these obnoxious " Raybar " sights on their field O/Us. More than once I wished that they had put a simple gold or silver bead on an otherwise excellent gun.

{hs# Reviews of top SC and FITASC shooters reveals that many want the smallest bead possible on the muzzle. Some have their mid beads removed and placed at the muzzle. A few eschew all beads.

Come to think of it, I have never seen a top shooter in any clay target game use a light pipe style bead. I am sure that he or she exists I just have never seen it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Shotgun barrels have beads?

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)