ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do All for the Fiance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:31 pm 
Field Grade

Planning on buying a do-all shotgun for the fiancé very soon. A couple times a year she likes to go shoot some skeet or sporting clays. Last time she went she tried to shoot my Montefeltro and it beat her all up, just way too long LOP.

I do know that I want to get her a 28 gauge. It's possible I could go down to a 20 for a semi auto, but I'm almost certain I want to get her a 28. Ammo cost is a non-factor since it'll only see 2-300 rounds a year.

Here's where I'm really torn. Although she doesn't shoot much at all, I don't want to get her a POS. She'll have this gun forever and not likely I'll be able to convince her again down the road to let me get her another one. But I can't afford to spend $1500 on a Beretta 686 for her. I like the simplicity of operating a O/U for her and the overall length. But as everyone knows, can get such a better quality semi auto for the money.

Steering away from a compact or youth gun because almost all of them have 24" barrels. Anticipating needing to shorten the stock on a standard model of something.

Considering:

CZ Drake - I had a Bobwhite SxS for myself that I sold, I couldn't hit the side of a barn with that gun. Different gun I know, but was is the SxS picture or a regulation issue? I never patterned it

Stevens 555 and/or TriStar O/U versions- nothing really scares me away from it, but it doesn't excite either. Not really a gun that is exciting to have future kids learn on in 15 years, or hand down to them in 30 years.

Franchi Affinity 3 Catalyst - possibly an option on the high end but it's only in 20 GA

Beretta A300 20 GA
Mossberg SA-28
Tristar Viper G2
CZ 720

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Post subject: Re: Do All for the Fiance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I would let her try (rent/borrow) a wide variety or semis and O/Us in 12, 20, and 28 and let HER decide

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Reconsider 28 gauge, it's hard enough to find 12/20 factory right now. Gun fit and weight has just as much as anything impacting recoil. I have a Beretta a400 xcel in 20 gauge that has very little recoil. It's light and has a short LOP with no kick off from the factory. Mine isn't for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

The difference between a double and a semi is significant.

The Tristar Viper is a solid gun and very gentle on recoil with target loads. Also economical, and you have a much better chance of finding 20g ammo on a shelf.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
I would let her try (rent/borrow) a wide variety or semis and O/Us in 12, 20, and 28 and let HER decide

Best suggestion possible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:41 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah, knew that suggestion would come. And I completely understand that and the premise behind it and agree. But she's not going to agree to a day, or weeks on end, of attempting to track down rentals or guns to borrow. We don't have an option close and she's not going to travel for it. It's not important enough subject to her to spend time doing the detailed research. She'll put her hands on everything we have at the farm over Christmas, Citori, LC Smith, Beretta 686, A5, 1100, 1148, 1187, 870, Montefeltro, and more. And we'll narrow it down from there.

Guess the underlying premise of the questions, is more so how do people feel about the autos listed, and about the O/U's listed with regard to their own respective categories. I can read and read and read on end, but don't have trust in more likely than not paid for by manufacturer gun magazine review articles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Andyb7 wrote:
Yeah, knew that suggestion would come. And I completely understand that and the premise behind it and agree. But she's not going to agree to a day, or weeks on end, of attempting to track down rentals or guns to borrow. We don't have an option close and she's not going to travel for it. It's not important enough subject to her to spend time doing the detailed research. She'll put her hands on everything we have at the farm over Christmas, Citori, LC Smith, Beretta 686, A5, 1100, 1148, 1187, 870, Montefeltro, and more. And we'll narrow it down from there.

Guess the underlying premise of the questions, is more so how do people feel about the autos listed, and about the O/U's listed with regard to their own respective categories. I can read and read and read on end, but don't have trust in more likely than not paid for by manufacturer gun magazine review articles.

If she is not willing to put forth any effort to pick out this gun, the chances of you just picking one out for her, and it working for her is pretty much slim and none, and slim left town.

Good luck

cdb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

If it doesn't fit, perceived recoil will be bad, regardless of bore size or ammo used so to quote Bobby Burns:
"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry"

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:05 pm 
Limited Edition

I would stay away from the Stevens, JMO.
I vote for the Viper G2 or the Mossberg SA-28.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Don’t know your budget but Syren makes shotguns specifically for women. Stock dimensions, weight, etc designed to reduce felt recoil. I think Caesar Guerini makes them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Look at the Franchi Catalyst. They are not a ton of money and are designed to fit a woman. We started my niece on one and it served her well. She is now shooting registered trap and skeet and has moved up to a Beretta, but the Franchi is still used for hunting.

My wife shot her gun during Thanksgiving, and it confirmed that I have to stop screwing around and buy her a woman's gun.

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:47 am 
Presentation Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
Andyb7 wrote:

If she is not willing to put forth any effort to pick out this gun, the chances of you just picking one out for her, and it working for her is pretty much slim and none, and slim left town.

Good luck

cdb

"...slim left town..."

Does Readers Digest still have a featured section called "Toward More Picturesque Speech"?

I'll nominate you for it, Chuck.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

a too light gun will kick and make your lady friend hate shooting (and soon thereafter hate you , too). A poorly fitting gun will also contribute to the kicking/pain cycle.

All of the guns listed are not ideal for a lady.

Keep looking.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:42 am 
Field Grade

lugmastro wrote:
Look at the Franchi Catalyst. They are not a ton of money and are designed to fit a woman. We started my niece on one and it served her well. She is now shooting registered trap and skeet and has moved up to a Beretta, but the Franchi is still used for hunting.

My wife shot her gun during Thanksgiving, and it confirmed that I have to stop screwing around and buy her a woman's gun.

A Catalyst is my top gun to find for her to try, if I can find one around here. We don't have many really good LGS with a lot of shotgun inventory even in good times. Seems the places around here mostly stock tacticool BS. May have to make a stop at Kevin's while I'm back home for Christmas this week...That's probably going to be our best bet at finding an in-stock Catalyst to handle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have you tried asking any Lady shooters at any of the Clubs near by?

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The following have lady's models which is --at least--a start--

1. Perazzi--"Elle"
2. Beretta - "Vittoria"
3. K 20--shorter stock version
4. Blaser

good hunting.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Andyb7 wrote:
lugmastro wrote:

A Catalyst is my top gun to find for her to try, if I can find one around here. We don't have many really good LGS with a lot of shotgun inventory even in good times. Seems the places around here mostly stock tacticool BS. May have to make a stop at Kevin's while I'm back home for Christmas this week...That's probably going to be our best bet at finding an in-stock Catalyst to handle.

Both Kevin's have been real busy selling guns since Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

My wife and daughter both shoot a tristar viper with a youth stock - about a 13" LOP, and a shorter barrel (24 or 25", but with an extender if desired). Wife is only 5'4", and daughter is now about 5'6", but was shorter when she started.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds more like a "not do too much" for the fiancé. Fit is the top 3 things to look for in a gun for anyone, after that I'd say quality is next important. Stevens 555 is bottom of quality list in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:50 am 
Field Grade

winmod21 wrote:
Don’t know your budget but Syren makes shotguns specifically for women. Stock dimensions, weight, etc designed to reduce felt recoil. I think Caesar Guerini makes them.

Backwoods in Georgetown is a Syren dealer, You might want to give them a call.