ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for an older classic pump
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a lot of ( way too many )shotguns, but my Model 37’s will be the last to go if anything catastrophic happened. I have Featherlights in 28, 20, 16, and 12, and an Ultra Featherlight in 20. Simple, smooth, and sweet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Leave it to say that they are all very good guns, but we all have our favorites. There are pumps that have a hard time making the “great” list. Stevens comes to mind although there are probably fans out there. What others would you put on the “also ran” list? I’m a little surprised that the Model 97 wasn’t somebody’s favorite. It certainly is among Cowboy action shooters.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
Leave it to say that they are all very good guns, but we all have our favorites. There are pumps that have a hard time making the “great” list. Stevens comes to mind although there are probably fans out there. What others would you put on the “also ran” list? I’m a little surprised that the Model 97 wasn’t somebody’s favorite. It certainly is among Cowboy action shooters.

I own a Model 97 for black powder shooting. It has an exposed hammer, so it’s allowed.

The Model 12 was an improvement in about all areas.

Another problem is that owners seemed to cherish their Model 12s and use their M97s like garden shovels.

If you do get a M97, the newer the better. The best ones were made after 1931, that read Winchester Proof Steel on the barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:44 pm 
Limited Edition

casonet wrote:

I have a buddy who hunted pheasants and quail with a 97 for many years, probably more than 40. He switched over to a model 21 a couple years ago. He even hunted ducks with bismuth in his 97. Being a good gunsmith he knows 97's inside and out. He makes fun of my 870, I make fun of his old Winchesters.