Shotgun Forum banner

S X S Recommendation for Sporting?

7K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  marshfield 
#1 ·
Would like some recommendations for a decent SxS in 12 gauge or 20 gauge, 28" bbls for "fun" sporting clays. The Browning BSS with single trigger looks interesting @ $1500 or so, particularly the ones actually assembled in Japan. Do want something in the 8lb range, so not a field gun. Model 21's are out of my price range. Thanks for your input. :D

#27 ·
One issue with SxS shotguns is that many are stocked with a stock with a much lower comb. Back in the day when these were popular it was common to shoot with a very light cheek weld held lower on the face. If you can adapt to that style of shooting they will work well. However if you mainly shoot modern Sporting O/U shotguns you may have trouble adapting.

Good news is that the CZ Sharp Tail Target is a fully modern shotgun with a modern comb height and a sporting pistol grip stock that fits me to a T. When I first tried out my Sharp Tail it took me a few minutes to realize that you need to ignore the barrels and be very consistent about using the rib when checking alignment when mounting the gun. Once I did that I found the Sharp Tail to shoot to the same point as my Browning Citori Sporting Clays. Ever since then when I want to shoot something different I remind myself to "shoot the Rib, not the Barrel". Other pluses are the single selective trigger and the fact that Briley Companion tubes fitted to my Beretta 686 also fit the CZ and the mechanical trigger works perfectly. Note, my Citori's chambers are too large for the Briley tubes. I also like that it has extractors instead of ejectors, it means I don't have to chase hulls that I missed catching. With the Beretta just about every single round of Skeet I shoot with the 410 tubes I end having to chase 3 or 4 hulls because those light hulls really come zinging out of the chambers.

#29 ·
scooter123 said:
One issue with SxS shotguns is that many are stocked with a stock with a much lower comb.
True of many American SxS's but not true of my English or Spanish guns - all of the English and Spanish guns we own or have passed through our hands are stocked with very high combs. In fact, my Joseph Lang hammer gun built in London in 1866 has only 1 1/2" drop at comb and 2 1/4" at heel, which is about the same as my AyA No 2's and Ugartechea, my wife's Grulla and her Ugartechea. These dimensions are also almost identical to my Beretta 687 O/U's.

The most important thing is for the OP to find a good quality gun that fits him and his shooting style regardless of name.

#30 ·
I'm with JNW on the BSS. Mine is an early assembled in Japan gun with a non-selective trigger. I simply had the Full choke barrel opened to match the Mod which happens to be .018" on 12 gauge BSS's. Love it. No thinking, just shoot. They are built to last.

#31 ·
I use a clone of the BSS. It is a Charles Daly Miroku, built in the same factory and to the same specs as a BSS. Mine has 2 triggers (a turn-off for some), 30" barrels and extractors. I had it threaded for screw in chokes and cut in an adjustable comb. I added a Graco adjustable butt plate and Kickeez pad. It's the coolest SxS on my 5 stand field.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.