ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am tired of being clobbered by goose loads in a cheap, light pump. I am thinking perhaps a semi auto would be a better choice. I have a Weatherby SA 08 in 20 gauge and like it, so that is an option (if I can find one at non-crazy prices). Other suggestions? Closing in on 50 and shoulder pain is a reality these days.

Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't have an exhaustive survey by any stretch, but the Mossberg 930 or 935 might be worth a look - I had one and sold it because it was a little bulky for my liking. It seemed like a sturdy and soft shooting gun though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I am a Browning guy but when using my own money I buy Beretta semiautos. With a little searching one can get a Beretta 390 or 391 for no more and likely less than a new Mossberg 930. I was not a fan of semiautos for waterfowl until I tried my first 390. It ran better than any other auto I had tried to that point and is the standard I hold others to. Adding a weighted end cap helped my swing and lessened recoil some too. The 391 is much the same except it has a thinner forend and a different gas system which is a little harder to clean. I like the 391 a little better for the range but lean toward the 390 for the field.

I have 3 Mossbrg 390s with one having run flawless for a couple thousand rounds, one running great for several hundred rounds before having some feeding/ejecting issues (I might have figured the problem out and if so, it wasn't the gun), and the third is set up as a slug gun which has under a couple hundred rounds through it but has become cantankerous in regards to shell used. The forend has become loose and can't be tightened further which may be the problem. It is the only wood stock version of the three.

I do a lot of field hunting for geese, ducks, and cranes and over the last 40 years have used the following:
Remington 1100/11-87, S&W 1500, Mossberg 5500/9200, Ithaca Mag-10, Browning Gold in both 12 and 10 ga, Winchester 1400, Browning A-5 (the last two 2 3/4" guns when lead was still legal), and probably a couple others that escape my memory. They all hiccuped on my at one time or another, often in some conditions. The Berettas were the most reliable by far though the Golds have provided similar reliability though not for as long nor as often.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:53 am 
Presentation Grade

Whatever the heaviest gas one is...

DL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:00 am 
Crown Grade

tresamigovizslas wrote:
Whatever the heaviest gas one is...

DL

In large measure it probably doesn`t get a whole lot more complicated than that.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

I would save a little longer and get a used Beretta A-400 Xtreme with Kick Off.
Really reduces felt recoil!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't know if it is the lowest recoil or not but a friend of mine has a Beretta A300 Outlander with synthetic stock that he got for I think around $700. I shot it with 3" 2 ounce turkey loads and the recoil was surprisingly soft. Way softer than my pump Mossberg 500. You might take a look at one of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:07 pm 
Limited Edition

double20 wrote:
I don't know if it is the lowest recoil or not but a friend of mine has a Beretta A300 Outlander with synthetic stock that he got for I think around $700. I shot it with 3" 2 ounce turkey loads and the recoil was surprisingly soft. Way softer than my pump Mossberg 500. You might take a look at one of those.

Dunns Sporting Goods has the A300 for $600 right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?

Though hard to find, it is still a Remington V3.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:38 pm 
Limited Edition

brewer12345 wrote:
I am tired of being clobbered by goose loads in a cheap, light pump. I am thinking perhaps a semi auto would be a better choice. I have a Weatherby SA 08 in 20 gauge and like it, so that is an option (if I can find one at non-crazy prices). Other suggestions? Closing in on 50 and shoulder pain is a reality these days.

My favorite soft recoiling shotguns are Remington 1100's and 1187's. They are a steel receiver heavier gas operated semi auto that soaks recoil. I like older 1187's the Premier and Special Purpose 3" models. I am not a fan of the super mag models and I do not know the Sportsman models.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:34 pm 
Field Grade

You’ll get a lot of different opinions on here, but they won’t be subjective. Most people are brand loyal and will tell you the one they have is the “best”. I own a Beretta A300 Outlander, and have good friends who own other guns that I have put lots of rounds through. Specifically the SX4 and the A400 Extreme. I did a side by side comparison on the SX4 and the Outlander a couple of years ago and created a thread on here. I intended to purchase a V3 waterfowl pro, but I wasn’t able to get enough money together to ourchase one.

However, I was in Gamder yesterday killing time and saw a Versa Max Sportsman on sale for $832 and a synthetic V3 for sale for $750. I know they are no longer in production, and this would be the last opportunity for me to get a new Remington. I considered getting the V3, but I already own a great 3” gun in the Outlander. I’m a waterfowl hunter, so I purchased the Versa Max Sportsman.

Once hunting season is over, I plan on getting the A400, and the SX4 from my friends and doing an honest side by side comparison. I’ll create a thread in here of my findings. I have fired a few 3” duck loads through my Versa Max, and then from my Outlander. The Versa Max is a softer shooter. However, the recoil from the Outlander isn’t rough by any means. I’m very recoil sensitive, due to shoulder injuries, and I have had no issues with shooting 3” shells from the outlander. I did prefer the Outlander over the SX4, but I did the SX4. Neither of them are what I’d consider the softest shooting autoloaders, but both shoot considerably softer than an inertia gun, or pump.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Win50 wrote:
I don't have an exhaustive survey by any stretch, but the Mossberg 930 or 935 might be worth a look - I had one and sold it because it was a little bulky for my liking. It seemed like a sturdy and soft shooting gun though.

I couldn’t agree more.

I don’t shoot Roman candle size 12 gauge shells, but if I wanted to I’d use a Mossberg 935 like my son’s friend owns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:55 pm 
Field Grade

Superxone, have you done any comparisons to other auto loaders compared to the 930? There aren’t many of them in my area, but my lgs did have a used one in the store for a while listed for $500. It looked like a decent gun, but the trigger group had slack in it. I do know from research that 930 owners have mentioned they require regular cleaning and maintenance after every 300 rounds or so, or they start having cycling issues. Honestly, that isn’t a deal breaker for me. I have no issues with cleaning my guns.

I did decide to attempt to run my Outlander until it started to have cycling issues, but felt guilt and feared I may cause damage to the gun. I eventually cleaned it. It never stoped cycling rounds though. It was a couple of years ago, and I don’t recall the exact number but I made a post about it. As to shooting 3.5” shells, I don’t shoot them when duck hunting, but everyone I hunt with does. If I ever ran out of shells while hunting with my outlander, I couldn’t borrow any to keep hunting. I will no longer have that problem with the versa Max, even if I end up staying with the Outlander as my main gun, I will have the Versa Max as a back up. I just need a lot more trigger time with the VM to see how I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SHughes wrote:
Superxone, have you done any comparisons to other auto loaders compared to the 930? There aren’t many of them in my area, but my lgs did have a used one in the store for a while listed for $500. It looked like a decent gun, but the trigger group had slack in it. I do know from research that 930 owners have mentioned they require regular cleaning and maintenance after every 300 rounds or so, or they start having cycling issues. Honestly, that isn’t a deal breaker for me. I have no issues with cleaning my guns.

I did decide to attempt to run my Outlander until it started to have cycling issues, but felt guilt and feared I may cause damage to the gun. I eventually cleaned it. It never stoped cycling rounds though. It was a couple of years ago, and I don’t recall the exact number but I made a post about it. As to shooting 3.5” shells, I don’t shoot them when duck hunting, but everyone I hunt with does. If I ever ran out of shells while hunting with my outlander, I couldn’t borrow any to keep hunting. I will no longer have that problem with the versa Max, even if I end up staying with the Outlander as my main gun, I will have the Versa Max as a back up. I just need a lot more trigger time with the VM to see how I like it.

My youngest son has a friend he duck hunts with, and they bring the old man their guns to clean.

I’ve cleaned that Mossberg for about ten years, and love it more each time. I’ve even shot it some. It requires full power 2 3/4” lead field loads to cycle.

But if you think you must shoot 3 1/2” steel loads that’s the smokepole to shoot them with.

It’s not pretty, inside or out, but it works. It’s simple to take apart. The gas operation takes the bite out of heavy loads.

My son leaves our Benelli M-1 Super 90 at home now and takes my Tristar Raptor Viper, which is the finest gas operated $200 3” semi auto I can think of.

But if you want a three and a half inch 12 gauge, our friend loves his Mossberg 935.

He says it works like a crowbar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:54 pm 
Crown Grade

If your youngest son is old enough to hunt, he ought to be cleaning his own guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:02 pm 
Field Grade

Versa max or a used franchi 712

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:32 pm 
Limited Edition

If you want a good dedicated goose gun get a BPS 10 gauge . The recoil is there but it's different . It's more of a push than a jab . You have to shoot one it's hard to explain .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
If your youngest son is old enough to hunt, he ought to be cleaning his own guns.

Uhhh.....yeah! My father gave me my first gun when I was 10 or 11. I don’t ever remember him telling me to clean it. Not being my responsibility never even entered my mind.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tidefanatic wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:

Uhhh.....yeah! My father gave me my first gun when I was 10 or 11. I don’t ever remember him telling me to clean it. Not being my responsibility never even entered my mind.

They know well, how to clean their own guns.

The boy comes to hear his parent’s wedding amateur photographer tell him stories about his father, who was the youngest son of my first legal secretary, as I hold each part out to them and ask

Why was that put there?

How was it made?

Could you think of a better way to do it?

My son is used to it, but he’s still fascinated.

I clean his gun, because when I opened my first office his grandmother I went to church with, had faith in me.

I very much enjoy being the wise old elder.