ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 3076
sera wrote:
Recoil is a calculation of weight of ejecta , speed of ejecta and weight of gun. You can reduce recoil by shooting lighter loads at slower speed thru heavier guns.

Felt recoil can be lessened by making sure the gun fits , having the best possible recoil pad and addressing the 3 things above.

OP , I have killed more ducks and geese (living in SW Louisiana as I do) than all but the most active 1% of all water-fowlers. Almost all of those w/ 2 3/4 inch shells b/c I do not like the recoil of 3 inch shells. Spend some time on a skeet or sporting clays field and you'll never need boomer loads to drop a duck or a goose.

All the rest is hooey.


From my time duck hunting in Louisiana, could not agree more concerning 2 3/4 " vs. 3", especially over decoys.



_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:50 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm
Posts: 2773
Tidefanatic wrote:
sera wrote:
Recoil is a calculation of weight of ejecta , speed of ejecta and weight of gun. You can reduce recoil by shooting lighter loads at slower speed thru heavier guns.

Felt recoil can be lessened by making sure the gun fits , having the best possible recoil pad and addressing the 3 things above.

OP , I have killed more ducks and geese (living in SW Louisiana as I do) than all but the most active 1% of all water-fowlers. Almost all of those w/ 2 3/4 inch shells b/c I do not like the recoil of 3 inch shells. Spend some time on a skeet or sporting clays field and you'll never need boomer loads to drop a duck or a goose.

All the rest is hooey.


From my time duck hunting in Louisiana, could not agree more concerning 2 3/4 " vs. 3", especially over decoys.


Even before the current shortage, 2 3/4 inch non toxic shells were getting harder to come by. Some manufacturers are phasing them out. Low demand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:55 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 3076
drawdc wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
sera wrote:
Recoil is a calculation of weight of ejecta , speed of ejecta and weight of gun. You can reduce recoil by shooting lighter loads at slower speed thru heavier guns.

Felt recoil can be lessened by making sure the gun fits , having the best possible recoil pad and addressing the 3 things above.

OP , I have killed more ducks and geese (living in SW Louisiana as I do) than all but the most active 1% of all water-fowlers. Almost all of those w/ 2 3/4 inch shells b/c I do not like the recoil of 3 inch shells. Spend some time on a skeet or sporting clays field and you'll never need boomer loads to drop a duck or a goose.

All the rest is hooey.


From my time duck hunting in Louisiana, could not agree more concerning 2 3/4 " vs. 3", especially over decoys.


Even before the current shortage, 2 3/4 inch non toxic shells were getting harder to come by. Some manufacturers are phasing them out. Low demand.


A shame IMO. Everybody wants to shoot cannon shells, I guess.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:56 pm
Posts: 1409
I think you do pretty well on the wise also.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:20 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:52 am
Posts: 2
You got the old and possibly elder part down anyway;-) mobdro

Regards, tubemate


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 9409
Location: Louisiana
2¾" shells were fine for duck hunting when lead was legal. With steel, either the payload is too light or the velocity too low for my liking. Give me 3" every day. In a gas operated autoloader, the recoil is hardly noticeable while shooting at ducks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:42 pm
Posts: 29286
Location: Missouri
lossking wrote:
2¾" shells were fine for duck hunting when lead was legal. With steel, either the payload is too light or the velocity too low for my liking. Give me 3" every day. In a gas operated autoloader, the recoil is hardly noticeable while shooting at ducks.


Since we can’t outlaw steel shot thanks to the #%+€£%* do gooders, you are correct.

The minimum new waterfowl gun should be a three inch 12 gauge with factory interchangeable chokes, proofed for steel shot.

You can use an old Light 12 Auto Five, or Model 12, or even a Fox Sterlingworth, but shells are $50 a box.

Too expensive for kids, shooting ducks off a pond.

Not so for their elders.:)

_________________
I have never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as a reason for withdrawing from a friend. Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:41 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 3076
SuperXOne wrote:
lossking wrote:
2¾" shells were fine for duck hunting when lead was legal. With steel, either the payload is too light or the velocity too low for my liking. Give me 3" every day. In a gas operated autoloader, the recoil is hardly noticeable while shooting at ducks.


Since we can’t outlaw steel shot thanks to the #%+€£%* do gooders, you are correct.

The minimum new waterfowl gun should be a three inch 12 gauge with factory interchangeable chokes, proofed for steel shot.

You can use an old Light 12 Auto Five, or Model 12, or even a Fox Sterlingworth, but shells are $50 a box.

Too expensive for kids, shooting ducks off a pond.

Not so for their elders.:)


$50 a box not too expensive? Maybe for some, but certainly not for others! You keep some of these ammunition prices in play, SX1, and your liberal Dem buddies in Washington won`t have to do a damned thing when it comes to gun control. IMHO, of course.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 52
Location: North Bay Area
sera wrote:
Recoil is a calculation of weight of ejecta , speed of ejecta and weight of gun. You can reduce recoil by shooting lighter loads at slower speed thru heavier guns.

Felt recoil can be lessened by making sure the gun fits , having the best possible recoil pad and addressing the 3 things above.

OP , I have killed more ducks and geese (living in SW Louisiana as I do) than all but the most active 1% of all water-fowlers. Almost all of those w/ 2 3/4 inch shells b/c I do not like the recoil of 3 inch shells. Spend some time on a skeet or sporting clays field and you'll never need boomer loads to drop a duck or a goose.

All the rest is hooey.


^^^ This ^^^

My wife, myself, and our hunting partner all switched to 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz Boss #5s this season. Our hunting partner is old enough to have shot lead and he swears the short Boss #5s are the best thing since lead.

As far as shotguns go, I'd check out a Winchester SX3 or SX4. I had an SX3 and it was a nice soft shooting gun. Only reason I don't have it anymore, we hunt saltwater and Benelli's are way easier to clean (IMHO).

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 am
Posts: 13552
when I started duck hunting everyone used F choke and lead 6's. Those were 10 duck limit days. One of my early duck hunting buddies was of the habit of 1st come 1st served and "we" used a per blind limit not a per man limit.

I had to learn how to shoot fast and straight , to get my 10 ducks. Those days were so fun.

_________________
Nsca # 540300. Been loving this game since 01.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:37 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 52
Location: North Bay Area
sera wrote:
when I started duck hunting everyone used F choke and lead 6's. Those were 10 duck limit days. One of my early duck hunting buddies was of the habit of 1st come 1st served and "we" used a per blind limit not a per man limit.

I had to learn how to shoot fast and straight , to get my 10 ducks. Those days were so fun.


Our hunting partner says the same thing, 2-3/4" #6 paper shells and full chokes. He told me one time, there wasn't really many options and those #6s with full chokes killed ducks all day long.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 1958jr, 28 gauge, 3'12, 47MolineRTU, avogunner, BG1187, Bing [Bot], bowbender145, cfrobco, Clayshooter1, Cooper4141, CoreyM, Denver1911, dhb66, Dmc57, Drew Hause, Eriehunter, Fasttalker27, fralic76, Gone shootin, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, goosedowner, Gunning Bird, hs125, Jeff Faycosh, jwf1948, Kentuckycook, KRIEGHOFFK80, Mike-Sid, Milkmaster, msmith, Nicoli7153, nordicfreak, oyeme, painter*, Patently Obvious, pcolapaddler, PerryB, PKW-Indiana, Pullandmark, Rack-N-Roy, shootingcajun, Specklebelly, Steeler [Crawler], SWPAMike, took, tsavery1, Virginian


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice