ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
You got the old and possibly elder part down anyway;-)

My mother used to say nobody loves your kids or dogs but you.

As she’d look out over a house full of my friends and me playing on our pool table, riding bicycles around the house, listening to music, and enjoying the best home life any parent ever had,,,,seeing us grow up.

It doesn’t take much effort, to love your kid’s friends and make them always welcome.

The rewards are very great, to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 am 
Crown Grade

Completely agree......but teaching them to treat their gear properly and with responsibility is also a great thing. It was in my world anyway...........probably different on fantasy island.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
Completely agree......but teaching them to treat their gear properly and with responsibility is also a great thing. It was in my world anyway...........probably different on fantasy island.

That boy can take his Mossberg 935 apart and put it back together and tell you why every part is there, what it does, and how it might be improved.

He taught himself, in my garage.

I just supervised.

Now I am a hands on inspector, of the Mossberg duck blaster.

And we listen to the songs his father loved while we do it.

HEAVEN CAN’T BE FOUND

Hank JR 1986

His father and I were sitting in my new pickup the first time we heard that, hunting on his grandparents’ place.

Not far from the duck blind he takes my boy to shoot ducks.

If there were any ducks back in 1986 on that place, we had no idea how to get them to land so we could shoot them.

You should hear my son and him blow a duck call.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

That’s great.......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
That’s great.......

His grandmother could type so fast I’d stand there, in awe watching.

She knew shorthand.

And no finer Campbellite mother ever breathed, than her.

She quit her well paid position at the first law firm I worked, to take a chance that a 27 year old Humansville boy would treat her with more respect than where we worked at.

Her youngest son, was about 14 years old in 1985.

My law office outbid everybody else at the county fair buying his grand champion lamb.

His father and I went fishing at that pond there’s a duck blind now, and I caught a fish with every cast, using a certain lure. I gave it to him and used another, and the grandson still tells the story about how grandpa still uses that lure I gave him.

My son’s friend’s grandmother brought his father over to my home about 1986 sometime with a D grade Parker that had been in the family for years. I looked it up, identified it, cleaned it, and condemned it as unsafe to shoot because of a chamber bulge. I ground down the firing pins.

I remember telling his father I didn’t want one of his kids to be tempted to shoot it.

And they dig around in family pictures and came up with a photo of the original owner with the Parker and his friends, and a huge bunch of ducks they’d killed on their place.

Bye and bye the family built the duck blind, my son is welcome to use anytime he wants.

But that other boy is the only friend he has, that knows how to call in ducks, so they go together.

His father taught him, how to blow a duck call.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Very special.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
Very special.....

With any luck at all in a hundred years, that boy’s great great grandson will blow a duck call to bring down ducks on that pond for that Mossberg to shoot.

He could have used the D Grade Damascus Parker, if some damned kid hadn’t bulged the chamber shooting modern smokeless duck loads in it back when those came out in the twenties.

Kids will tear up anything, you know?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

So can a lot of adults. Breaking bowling balls isn’t confined to a particular age group.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Superxone, I agree on the 3.5” shells. I hunt with 3”. The outlander I own is a great shotgun. It cycles everything from light loads, to heavy duck loads. It never fails. I’ve personally gone over 1000 rounds (at least) twice without cleaning it, and it cycling everything. I bought the versa max for a few reasons. First one being they are no longer being made, and this was likely my last opportunity to get one new. I’ve wanted to get a V3 for years, and there was one right next to the VM at the gun store. I almost got it instead, but I’ve got a great 3” gun. I didn’t have a 3.5”

Second, I know a couple of people who duck Hunt with them and they claim the vm is the softest shooting gun they’ve ever had. I put a few 3.5” shells through it yesterday at my best friends house, and shot some 3.5” shells through his A400. I’m not brand loyal by any means, and the A400 is a fantastic shotgun, but I couldn’t tell a difference in the recoil. Neither of them stomped me like my old nova, or the inertia guns I’ve shot did.

Finally, even though I don’t shoot 3.5” shells, all of my hunting buddies do. I can drop a duck with my outlander just as well as they can with their hand cannons, however, if I ever ran out of shells in the blind, my hunt is over. I couldn’t borrow any shells to continue hunting. I will seldom shoot 3.5” shells, but it’s great to have the option.

I’d still like to know what experience you have with other guns to compare the 930 to. I don’t blame your son for choosing a gas gun over the Super 90 for duck hunting. Inertia guns do pack quite the punch compared to gas guns. However, you mentioned it doesn’t cycle light loads. That would be a deal breaker for me, because I also dove hunt and shoot skeet. Any auto loader I buy has to shoot everything well, or I won’t own it long.

Last edited by SHughes on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Lowest recoil waterfowl 12 gauge for 1000 or less?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For 3 1/2” shells, Remington VersaMax. End of discussion

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SHughes wrote:
Superxone, I agree on the 3.5” shells. I hunt with 3”. The outlander I own is a great shotgun. It cycles everything from light loads, to heavy duck loads. It never fails. I’ve personally gone over 1000 rounds (at least) twice without cleaning it, and it cycling everything. I bought the versa max for a few reasons. First one being they are no longer being made, and this was likely my last opportunity to get one new. I’ve wanted to get a V3 for years, and there was one right next to the VM at the gun store. I almost got it instead, but I’ve got a great 3” gun. I didn’t have a 3.5”

Second, I know a couple of people who duck Hunt with them and they claim the vm is the softest shooting gun they’ve ever had. I put a few 3.5” shells through it yesterday at my best friends house, and shot some 3.5” shells through his A400. I’m not brand loyal by any means, and the A400 is a fantastic shotgun, but I couldn’t tell a difference in the recoil. Neither of them stomped me like my old nova, or the inertia guns I’ve shot did.

Finally, even though I don’t shoot 3.5” shells, all of my hunting buddies do. I can drop a duck with my outlander just as well as they can with their hand cannons, however, if I ever ran out of shells in the blind, my hunt is over. I couldn’t borrow any shells to continue hunting. I will seldom shoot 3.5” shells, but it’s great to have the option.

I’d still like to know what experience you have with other guns to compare the 930 to. I don’t blame your son for choosing a gas gun over the Super 90 for duck hunting. Inertia guns do pack quite the punch compared to gas guns. However, you mentioned it doesn’t cycle light loads. That would be a deal breaker for me, because I also dove hunt and shoot skeet. Any auto loader I buy has to shoot everything well, or I won’t own it long.

My son has all but abandoned our camouflaged plastic Benelli M-1 Super 90 for my lowly Turkish made Tristar National Wild Turkey Federation Limited Edition Viper Raptor in the ever popular with the children color of matte black.

It even takes the same chokes as the Benelli.

It’s a gas gun, reliable as a crowbar, simple as a hammer, and kicks him less than the Benelli.

If they only shot the same Roman candle length shells as the other boy’s Mossberg 935 it would be perfect.

I’ve heard good things about the Remington Versa Max, too.

But they cost so much, I’ve never had a kid bring me one to clean.

Such a shame, what happened to Remington. Maybe the next owner can start fresh again.

I OVERLOOKED AN ORCHID

Carl Smith 1950

I have a three inch duck shooter my own self.

My three inch Ithaca Model 87 with factory Invector chokes, in blued steel and walnut, of course.

Someday I may go hunting with those boys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:45 am 
Tournament Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
SHughes wrote:

My son has all but abandoned our camouflaged plastic Benelli M-1 Super 90 for my lowly Turkish made Tristar National Wild Turkey Federation Limited Edition Viper Raptor in the ever popular with the children color of matte black.

It’s a gas gun, reliable as a crowbar, simple as a hammer, and kicks him less than the Benelli.

If they only shot the same Roman candle length shells as the other boy’s Mossberg 935 it would be perfect.

Such a shame, what happened to Remington. Maybe the next owner can start fresh again.

I OVERLOOKED AN ORCHID

Carl Smith 1950

My three inch Ithaca Model 87 with factory Invector chokes, in blued steel and walnut, of course.

Superxone, I got the Versa Max Sportsman at Gander for $832. It was $931 after tax and background check fees. I wouldn’t say that’s expensive for a 3.5” gun. The only other 3.5” gas guns I know of for less than $1000 is the SX4 Or the 935. I just don’t have access to a 935. I will be comparing the VM to the SX4 soon. I’ll even throw in my buddy’s $1600 A400 Extreme Plus in the comparison.

It’ll be a couple of weeks before I can do that though. I am not loyal to any brand, nor do I think the gun I own is the best out there. I try to stay with facts, and keep subjective opinions to a minimum. The comparison is not to attempt to steer anyone away from, or towards any particular model. It’s just information I wish I had access to when I was gun shopping. Too many people give uninformed opinions when someone creates a post needing informed answers. I have been in the shoes members such as the one who created this thread. It’s frustrating when someone just posts “this is the best gun”, but don’t give any actual facts to support their claim...

Last edited by SHughes on Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shot a 3 1/2” Turkey load in a SBE and the gun kicked like one of your Missouri mules

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:52 am 
Tournament Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
SHughes wrote:

I OVERLOOKED AN ORCHID

Carl Smith 1950

Superxone, I got the Versa Max Sportsman at Gander for $832. It was $931 after tax and background check fees. I wouldn’t say that’s expensive for a 3.5” gun. The only other 3.5” gas guns I know of for less than $1000 is the SX4 Or the 935. I just don’t have access to a 935. I will be comparing the VM to the SX4 soon. I’ll even throw in my buddy’s $1600 A400 Extreme Plus in the comparison.

It’ll be a couple of weeks before I can do that though. I am not loyal to any brand, nor do I think the gun I own is the best out there. I try to stay with facts, and keep subjective opinions to a minimum. The comparison is not to attempt to steer anyone away from, or towards any particular model. It’s just information I wish I had access to when I was gun shopping. Too many people give uninformed opinions when someone creates a post needing informed answers. I have been in the shoes members such as the one who created this thread. It’s frustrating when someone just posts “this is the best gun”, but don’t give any actual facts to support their claim...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 am 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
Shot a 3 1/2” Turkey load in a SBE and the gun kicked like one of your Missouri mules

Inertia guns do recoil much harder than gas guns. There’s no way I could hunt with an inertia gun. I was in a blind next to a young man with a 3.5” Masai Mara a couple of weeks ago. He let me fire a couple of rounds through it before he left. I like the price compared to a benelli, and think they are a well made gun, but my shoulder hurt the rest of the morning after shooting it. They just stomp too hard for my liking. Quality gun IMO though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:18 am 
Utility Grade

I would save a little longer and get a used Beretta A-400 Xtreme with Kick Off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:49 am 
Tournament Grade

sainivedant41 wrote:
I would save a little longer and get a used Beretta A-400 Xtreme with Kick Off.

I won’t knock the A400. Its a good shotgun, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra $800 it costs compared to some others. It isn’t even the softest shooting gun I’ve ever picked up tbh. It is a soft shooter, but the Versa Max is the softest shooting 3.5” gun I’ve ever pulled the trigger on. Remington is out of business, and there’s no warranty anymore, but that doesn’t bother me. Most companies only warranty their product for 3 years or so anyway. I happened across a 28” versa max sportsman on sale for $832 at gander the other day, and couldn’t pass it up. I took it out this weekend and dropped a wood duck with my first shot with it. I haven’t owned it long enough to confirm its reliability, but I can say it swings well, and there is very little felt recoil. I do plan on doing a side by side comparison with it, a SX4, and my buddy’s A400 extreme plus.

So far the only thing I don’t like about it is the small bolt release. That’s an easy fix. I’m taking it to the gun shop to have an after market bolt release installed for $25.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have that gun and have had it for 5 years. It’s a great gun and a very soft shooter. The only problem I’ve had is that it will pop out the bolt handle once in a while. On one occasion I found it. Complained to Remington and they sent me a couple of Tactical bolt handles. The tactical seems to stay put.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Oldandrusty wrote:
If you want a good dedicated goose gun get a BPS 10 gauge . The recoil is there but it's different . It's more of a push than a jab . You have to shoot one it's hard to explain .

Disagree big time! They will kick the chit out of you!
Yes, I HAD one. Long gone but still remember the recoil!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Recoil is a calculation of weight of ejecta , speed of ejecta and weight of gun. You can reduce recoil by shooting lighter loads at slower speed thru heavier guns.

Felt recoil can be lessened by making sure the gun fits , having the best possible recoil pad and addressing the 3 things above.

OP , I have killed more ducks and geese (living in SW Louisiana as I do) than all but the most active 1% of all water-fowlers. Almost all of those w/ 2 3/4 inch shells b/c I do not like the recoil of 3 inch shells. Spend some time on a skeet or sporting clays field and you'll never need boomer loads to drop a duck or a goose.

All the rest is hooey.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.