ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I picked up a Baikal O/U from LGS on consignment. It was priced right( to low to pass on) and it looked unfired. Single trigger 28 inch barrels 2 3/4 or 3 inch with 5 chokes. I took it out and shot a round of sporting clays and was very impressed. The thing seems to work well. What are some opinions or experiences with these from the masses?

Post subject: Re: Baikal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

They were selling pretty well a few years back before the Russians were cut off from selling in the US. They sold dirt cheap, had occasional problems, mostly fixable, and price considered, in my opinion were okay. I had one for a few years, never had any trouble with it, shot it quite a bit, and sold it for more than I paid. In today's world, you might be okay, having it picked it up cheap, can probably shoot it for a quite awhile before not being able to fix it for supply of parts, but who knows, they could come back, Russia might start exporting to the US again. It is a very uncertain world. If you want s real steady supply of parts, stick with the Mossberg 500. Everything else is just temporary.

The trigger was selected by pressing forward on it, that switched it to shooting the upper barrel first. Also the ejectors could be turned off, so it was just extractors, forgot how you did that, but it was a nice feature. all in all it was a good experience in owning a gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had one, the Remington branded one, it shot and worked reliably, sold it a couple years later to my shooting buddy, he always borrowed it from me. He is still shooting it, 8 years and still going.
Here is the Baikal forum https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=83

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:49 am 
Crown Grade

My shooting buddy has one that he uses for both clay shooting and pheasant shooting. It's the only shotgun he owns and he shoots it very well. He bought it about 7 or 8 years ago, and there are literally thousands of rounds through it, and he has never had a problem with it. I always tell him it's built like a tank.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Probably the IZH28 if I recall correctly. I bought one back when I started shooting clays probably 20 years ago. Put a slip-on recoil pad on it and shot a fair number of rounds through it. Took it down to Texas about 15 years ago as I was traveling down there on business a couple of times a month and had lots of hunting oportunities. It's killed a bunch of dove and ducks down there since then, never missed a beat. One of my friends calls his the "Borscht Blaster" :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

around here , the collective opinion would be "yuck."

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:38 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
around here , the collective opinion would be "yuck."

Obviously, not necessarily.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Spartanworks by Remington SPR310 made in Baikal. I think it is based off the IZH27? It isn't going to win anything in the looks department, but it goes bang and I actually shoot it pretty well. One of the screws that controls whether it ejects or extracts (it's adjustable) fell out but other than that haven't had any issues. However, I also haven't put it through heavy use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't think they have been imported for years now. When they were they were cheaply made and priced accordingly. They look ok hanging over a fake fireplace. I think they should be avoided for actual field work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Oldfarmer2 wrote:
I don't think they have been imported for years now. When they were they were cheaply made and priced accordingly. They look ok hanging over a fake fireplace. I think they should be avoided for actual field work.

And this is based on ..... ??

Mine is a Remington badged one, the SPR-310, and I've put a whole lot of lead downrange with it and it's never missed a beat. I've moved on but I still use it as a loaner.

My son's and grandson's are their latest versions, the MP-310 in both 12ga and 20ga, and were purchased 6 or 7 years ago and like mine, have been absolutely reliable. And with a little research I believe you'll find that they are still extremely popular in Europe being that like much of what comes out of Russia, they may be the least attractive but they're built to last...and last and last.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "cheaply made" or your reasoning that "...they should be avoided.." but IMHO, based on actual experience, you could do a whole lot worse for the money.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Oldfarmer2 wrote:

And this is based on ..... ??

Mine is a Remington badged one, the SPR-310, and I've put a whole lot of lead downrange with it and it's never missed a beat. I've moved on but I still use it as a loaner.

My son's and grandson's are their latest versions, the MP-310 in both 12ga and 20ga, and were purchased 6 or 7 years ago and like mine, have been absolutely reliable. And with a little research I believe you'll find that they are still extremely popular in Europe being that like much of what comes out of Russia, they may be the least attractive but they're built to last...and last and last.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "cheaply made" or your reasoning that "...they should be avoided.." but IMHO, based on actual experience, you could do a whole lot worse for the money.

Sent you a PM

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Oldfarmer2 wrote:

And this is based on ..... ??.

My opinion. This is the shotgun opinion forum. Glad to hear you are happy with your Baikal. Most probably do go bang if you are strong enough to pull the trigger. Most may not go bang bang when you pull the trigger once, but some do. I don't like them and I'd never recommend anyone buy one. Others are free to state their opinion and recommend what they feel good about, that's how it is in America.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:11 am 
Limited Edition

Russians make shotgun like Russian women. Sturdy and strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

They are okay for a few occasional rounds of clays or some hunting a few times per year.

They won't hold up to high volume shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

southdakbearfan wrote:

Not to mention pretty as a tractor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

southdakbearfan wrote:

Just like their WW 2 tanks.
One of my skeet shooting friends had a sxs. brought it once and never brought it again. i'm not sure why.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

In addition to the o/u Baikal that I thought was okay, I had one of the sxs and I couldn't stand it. It did not fail to work, but the trigger was about 10 pounds. It was a really simple design trigger, very few parts, so probably would last quite a while, since there was very little to go wrong, but that trigger pull was way too heavy, and I think it had to be heavy to keep from doubling, because I read lots of complaints of them doubling which surprised me because the gun had practically no popularity. My impression was that everyone that had the sxs must have them doubling for me to be reading this many complaints. The o/u trigger was decent, they seemed to hold up and I could shoot that one. At some point though, I thought it best to give it a new home, especially when I got more money than I paid for it.

It is probably a good idea to stay away from them, because parts could be a real problem. In fact you can say that about many brands. If you want to be safe, when it comes to parts, you can have trouble with lots of guns, many of them really good guns once upon a time, but now sitting with a broken hammer or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 am 
Utility Grade

I have a sxs 43e that I put a pad on, now it is 14.5 and basically no recoil. We have Brownies and Benelli's but shoot this thing every trip. It is a tank, if it takes a dump I will put it in the boat to replace my anchor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Baikals haven’t always been primitive and crude. I have a IZH-54 double gun that I really like. It’s basically a Sauer clone and shoots great.