ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Maxus after 3 years of use
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 pm 
Field Grade

I bought my Maxus in Jan/Feb of 2018.
The model I bought was the Max5, 3&1/2 inch, with a 28" bbl. First impressions were that it was a good looking semi auto. A little different because of the lack of a magazine cap. It has a locking lever. I love this design due to the fact it makes break down and attaching a sling a breeze. It comes with ImpCyl, Mod, and Full (in the barrel). I thought it would be nice at this price point if you got the Light Mod and Imp Mod.) I have a Northern Flight shotgun case that I keep it in. It has a magazine cutoff switch. I like it for unloading. It has speed load, this is nice for the duck blind or a busy dove field.

I disassembled it as far as the book said to. Cleaned the barrel, choke, trigger group, in and out of receiver, and the bolt (disassembled it too). I use a few Birchwood Casey oils (synthetic safe) and Otis dry lube in the receiver. The action felt really good. Very easily cleaned firearm. Besides dirt, blood, mud, or grasses/seeds it doesn't get very dirty. Even after extended shooting. I usually detail clean after purchase. Then run a boresnake and wipe receiver out with a rag after each use. Deep cleaning between seasons (spring/summer clays deep clean...dove&teal deep clean... then regular waterfowl) or as necessary. Warm water with a drop of mild dish soap cleans the camo up nice.

After shouldering it a few times I installed one of the provided shims and length of pull adjusters. It shoulders nicely. Points very well and I love the flat sight plain. It creates a, IMO, perfect sight plane to look down. Much like the A5. It has a mid bead as well.

I took to my patterning boards. Everything was shot at 30 yards through the factory IC, M, and Full (except steel in Full). I also purchased a set of extended Browning chokes. IC, LM, M, IM, and F.

I shot Winchester Universals 7 1/2s, Browning Dove&Clay 7&1/2s, Winchester Xpert #2&3 steel, Kent Fast Steel #4s, and Browning BB, #2&4 steel

The factory IC is a under 25-30 yard choke In my opinion. This has been my experience in the past with Brownings as well. The factory Mod did best for ranges I hunt with the Universal 7 1/2 and Browning Dove&Clay, and the Imp Cyl and Mod did great with Browning 3" #4 steel. The Kent, and Winchester #3s liked the Mod better. I also patterned with a Browning Extended Light Mod it was great with all loads and was a clay crusher at the trap range. The Extended LM may be the one choke for all purpose of you had to choose just one choke for this gun. But, on close birds 25 and under the Mod can be destructive.

But, given the ranges I hunt waterfowl at, the Imp Cyl is a hammer with Brownings 3" 1&1/4oz #4 steel @1450fps. Even in rain, sleet, snow, or sunny warm weather it functioned flawlessly. Te ml ps ranged from 10*-100*.

Its powerdrive has system is soft shooting and allows for doubles and triples.

All in all it is probably my favorite Browning Autoloader so far. I exclusively used it this year and have nothing negative to say about it.

Hope this helps future Maxus owners.

Post subject: Re: Browning Maxus after 3 years of use
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the Carbon Fibre Sporting, and it is as reliable as any gas gun.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:56 pm 
Field Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
I have the Carbon Fibre Sporting, and it is as reliable as any gas gun.

cdb

I agree. Have you had yours long?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I had a 2018 maxus hunter for about 12 months, at least 6 of which it was at browning for various repairs (two trips).

I loved the look, the feel, the lack of recoil, but couldn't stand the lack of reliability and browning's slow service. Also not a huge deal, but the forend always wobbled.

First issue was a broken breach bolt, which was pretty scary from a safety perspective. After that, they just couldn't ever get it to reliably cycle 1 1/8oz target loads, which is most of what I shoot.

Hopefully Maxus II has fixed some of these issues, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:26 pm 
Field Grade

snarematt wrote:
I had a 2018 maxus hunter for about 12 months, at least 6 of which it was at browning for various repairs (two trips).

I loved the look, the feel, the lack of recoil, but couldn't stand the lack of reliability and browning's slow service. Also not a huge deal, but the forend always wobbled.

First issue was a broken breach bolt, which was pretty scary from a safety perspective. After that, they just couldn't ever get it to reliably cycle 1 1/8oz target loads, which is most of what I shoot.

Hopefully Maxus II has fixed some of these issues, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

I've never had that issue. Unfortunately you must have gotten the *one*

I wonder if the recoil spring in the but stock was gummed up.
My A5 I bought it 15 did function well with browning ammo. Dove and clay or BXD waterfowl loads. I was about to sell it. But I then remembered I never sprayed it out with gun cleaner and relubed. After I did. It cycles browning ammo just fine in all weather types.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:32 am 
Limited Edition

I am another fan of the Maxus. Mine is the carbon fibre sporting model. I have had mine since they were first introduced, 2015-2016? I primarily shoot a O/U but sometimes shoot the Maxus just for the fun of it. At many of the bigger tournaments in NM they have a 3-bird event, They are not registered clays but I always enjoy shooting just for the "giggle factor" alone. I also frequently lend it out to shooters who are dealing with recoil issues. They always come away smiling. It has never had a malfunction, knock on wood.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gunsite Guy wrote:
I am another fan of the Maxus. Mine is the carbon fibre sporting model. I have had mine since they were first introduced, 2015-2016? I primarily shoot a O/U but sometimes shoot the Maxus just for the fun of it. At many of the bigger tournaments in NM they have a 3-bird event, They are not registered clays but I always enjoy shooting just for the "giggle factor" alone. I also frequently lend it out to shooters who are dealing with recoil issues. They always come away smiling. It has never had a malfunction, knock on wood.

s/f Steve

I have the same gun, I bought mine in 2012, not sure when they were first introduced.

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

Had Maxus since 2012.

Issues:
1. Duratouch got sticky and is badly wearing off.
2. This season recoil spring started seizing up not letting bolt to cycle.
3. Had to replace gas valve due to broken spring.

Gun never had any FTE or FTF on any length shell up until recoil spring issue. Wasn't happy about the Duratouch problem but other than that like the gun. Probably end up buying a new Maxus II.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I've had my Maxus since 2013 or 2012. No problems of any sort at all . Finish still perfect too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:02 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

snarematt wrote:

Now you know why the Maxus II has a conventional fore-end.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:50 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
snarematt wrote:

Now you know why the Maxus II has a conventional fore-end.

Yeah, I thought that was a solution looking for a non existent problem. And no mag extension capability.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:12 am 
Limited Edition

I've had my Maxus since 2012. I hunt ducks once a year with 3 inch #2s and out of state snow goose hunts for 4 days a year with 3.5 inch BBBs. It has worked fine but I carry an extra piston and recoil spring on the goose trips just in case I need to replace them. I would buy one again as I like it's handling and features.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great information on here. It’s nice to see honest reviews of guns that have been put through the rigors of a few hunting seasons, and not just fired a few rounds out of the box. The best way to truly learn about the quality of a gun is from periodic unbiased updates from guys who actually use them. Please keep us updated.